MY First Needle Stick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first was in Aug. Unresponsive HIV/Hep c with spont ptx from copd. Did the chest tube and cvp (ended up intubated for failure to protect airway). Made it through the line and CT with flying colors....was cleaning up and went to open needle driver to get suture line out and the needle didn't unseat properly because of dried blood....and went into my palm. Took the meds, was sick as hell from em......and have my 3 mo hiv/hep f/up in 2 weeks....

Scared to death at the time.....doing better about it now!

Members don't see this ad.

If the window period is like 30 days at least, how can someone who got stuck get tested and know whether to get or not to get post exposure prophylaxis.

If the window period is like 30 days at least, how can someone who got stuck get tested and know whether to get or not to get post exposure prophylaxis.

To get ur baseline and then u get follow up blood tests to see if u convert. Whether u take prophylaxis is based on risk.. HIV positive pt needle stick Ull take it, high risk inner city IV drug user with unknown status I'd take it, out in suburbs old lady no high risk activities .. Maybe not. There's no prophylaxis for Hcv tho

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my first stick, kinda. I felt pain after a guidewire hit my hand, but no tear in the glove, no blood on my finger. Unfortunately, she was an AIDS patient. Even without the definitive "stick", I went to get an HIV test and will repeat at 6 months.

What deserves repeating:

IF YOU ARE STUCK, YOU MUST REPORT IT.

It's awful if you get HIV, HCV, whatever for a needlestick. What's worse is getting HIV, HCV, whatever from a needlestick and not having your insurance pay for your treatment.

Had my first stick, kinda. I felt pain after a guidewire hit my hand, but no tear in the glove, no blood on my finger. Unfortunately, she was an AIDS patient. Even without the definitive "stick", I went to get an HIV test and will repeat at 6 months.
If you're that worried (you have reason to be), the HIV test won't protect you. The meds will. Are you taking any?

If you're that worried (you have reason to be), the HIV test won't protect you. The meds will. Are you taking any?

No, not taking the meds. It definitely didn't break the glove. Filled it up with water and couldn't express any; my finger was completely clean; and it was the back of the guidewire which hadn't been in the patient. Just scared the crap out of me for the minute until I could examine my glove and hand.

I went to the employee health just in the (literally) 1 in a million shot I do convert.

After posting on this the other day about an old needle stick, I went out and stuck myself on an IV drug user patient during my 30 hour MICU call. Always fun. I recommend to anyone else to just go through and fill out paper work. Hospital will be on your side and you'll get answers that will allow you to sleep at night.

HIV negative, HCV test pending. Read some interesting articles this morning on the new drugs coming out that eradicate HCV with 8 weeks of therapy. Changes-a-comin. Either way, still not concerned. A risk we take as ED providers.

If glove didn't break... I can't imaging how there is actual exposure. Right???