My experience - how a slacker got a 254/99

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bones4u

Residency>>>Med School
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to thank SDN and its collective wisdom, some really great stuff on these boards. I just got my score back today, and I've been putting together this guide for a while now to give back to the community. (Its LONG!)

So, how did a guy like me who slacked off in basic sciences (I only marginally passed immunology) do well on the boards? Play the game – Know what they're asking and you're already two steps ahead. Here's a good breakdown of how the test goes:

Out of each block of 50 questions, approximately:

• 25-30 q's would be ones you know, from studying your ass off
  • 10-15 q's would be ones you *should* know, i.e. you studied but forgot, or there are little details that are tripping you up, etc.
  • 5-10 are the "out of the box" q's – experimental, stuff you've never seen before, minutia from your syllabi or even college courses.

Also this test is very integrative. You'll have path, phys, and immune all in one question. They'll combine all types of things, have you make these crazy connections – but with a strong foundation you can do it. The goal of your studying is to maximize those first two groups of questions – by building a strong foundation of BOTH concepts and details.

Strategy:
I had about 6.5 weeks to study – I would say 7 but it took me almost 4 days just to get organized – like figuring out which are the best books, putting together a schedule, etc.

Also, GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN. The man is amazing, he puts stuff together like you can't imagine. Pepper your studying with his audio lectures – i.e. listen to him whenever possible. The last couple of weeks, I would listen to him while driving, randomly throughout the day, and even in the shower/while getting ready (I know its nuts, but I got an extra lecture in everyday this way!)

Daily Schedule I would study about 10-14 hours a day, depending on when I wake up, and how I was feeling that day. Early on I would spend most of the time with books, then more time with FA as the date got closer. I would try to do 100 q's a day, but it would usually be 50.

First, start off with a pass of first aid – go through it and realize what topics you know well, and what topics you will need to focus on. Also familiarize yourself with the layout, it can be confusing at times and knowing where everything is will definitely save you some time. Then, go through the various study books you have – Read important details, really go through for UNDERSTANDING, and annotate details as much as possible into FA.

Here are my thoughts about each subject and the best book to use (based on my pouring over previous experiences and from personal experience):

• Comprehensive – First aid is still the best. At first I hated the book, and then I realized just how much information is in there. It really is an acquired taste – just get used to it at first, and make sure you annotate into it. It does have holes, and you need to fill them up.
  • Question banks – So I have to say trying both Qbank and USMLEWorld, that UW freaking rocks. The question style, subject matter, etc are all so similar to the step. Qbank is a great tool for testing facts – but their questions focus too much on minutia. UW Ties those facts in with concepts – its great how they do it, and that's exactly what you'll have to do on the test. Plus UW costs less (after all those books trust me it adds up). If you only have time for one – do UW. Your brain will hurt, but that's what the test is like. It really helps maximize those "should know" questions I talked about earlier, and helps tie together concepts. But make sure you read the answer choices and explanations, especially the "educational concept" at the bottom. If you have a time for a 2nd, I would then suggest USMLE-Rx – only because going through the answers is like another read of FA. Qbank? Sorry, but its yesterday's news.
  • Biochem: RR Biochem – Goljan – I always had a tough time with biochem, and this book was a good balance (in between HY biochem and Lippincott's). The biochem q's on the test weren't too difficult, you either knew it or you didn't. A lot of the tougher questions came from molec/cell biology (see below)
  • Anatomy: HY Gross, HY Neuro (I got HY embryo and histo but didn't use them) – Had quite a bit of neuro and extremity anatomy (upper and lower) – and an xray of a fractured foot which kinda threw me off. Otherwise not too difficult – the consensus here is really knowing upper/lower extremity and neuroanatomy well. Know the embryo from FA, and tie in Histo to disease, bc that's how it'll be tested.
  • Cell/Molec bio: HY Cell/Molec bio – good book to familiarize yourself with concepts like hox genes (I had 2 q's about them), Zn finger proteins, heat shock proteins, and cell signaling/receptor/2nd messenger stuff. Also great for knowing different molecular tests, DNA/RNA synthesis, etc. A lot of the "out of the box" questions come from molec bio, worded strangely and can piss you off, but you have decode what they're asking and this book will help understand whats going on.
  • Behavioral science – I used BRS Behavioral, and it was a good book. I had a good mix of behavioral on my test, this section makes up a relatively large chunk, and like everyone says it can make or break you – so study it well. I also had a lot of patient response questions, which are generally difficult to study for, and there are always two answer choices that look good – really try to figure out the best on though.
  • ID/Micro – Micro Ridiculously simple – still the best book for micro – great stuff, annotate into FA – haven't had a chance to look at the newest version. Micro is pretty well represented in the test, and they test details; also know your Abx well. Delve deep into the differences between each bug, the various ways they can present – compare and contrast different infections; and focus mostly on bacteria – then on viruses, then on antimicrobials – then fungi – and least important are parasites.
  • Immuno – I used HY Immuno – good read (90 pages of like huge text); but here is a key point. Immunologic processes play a huge role in the mechanism of diseases, and you know this test is about mechanisms! So know your immunopath well – i.e. ARDS in pancreatitis, why?! Why do you get the consolidation in pneumonia (related to diapedesis). So much of immune related to pathophys – so learn it in immune well, learn it in FA well, learn the immunopath during pathology well.
  • Physiology – BRS Phys is great – especially since this section can be tough. A lot of charts, graphs, arrows, messy stuff. I had a good mix of cardio/resp/renal/GI phys. But really really understand what physiological changes take place during exercises/sympathetic stimulation/high altitude, and those sorts of things. Really be able to tie in with path, bc pathophys is "big-time boards"
  • Pathology – RR Path by Goljan – I think its better than BRS, because its more integrative. I would say Path is getting "diluted" on the boards, because they are now mixing in path questions with biochem, or path with phys, path with immuno, etc. And goljan does a fantastic job of bringing these points together. Really focus on the first few chapters, really understand the different types of necrosis, know your immunopath, dig deep into mechanisms of diseases. Pictures - I looked at Goljan's mostly, and supplemented a few with WebPath, for most you can tell what you're looking at from the question (1 of them from the answers :))
  • Pharm – USMLE Roadmap – Pharm - The pharm on the test is straight forward, and usually ties in with other questions. FA is great alone, especially if you already have a strong background in pharm. I had a tough time with Pharm, bc our school doesn't teach it well; so I really focused on this section near the end.
NBME - After going through everything once, and/or two weeks before your test – I suggest taking an NBME. This will really let you know A) where you stand and B) where your strengths/weaknesses are. This will help you guide the last couple of weeks to focus on what can trip you up, and re-enforce your strengths. Also, the NBME questions are by far the most representative questions to the actual thing – so look at the style of questions. Forms 2 and 3 are the most representative of the actual thing, Form 1 is supposed to be the easiest, and Form 4 is the most challenging (a lot of molec bio).

The last couple of weeks then, really go through FA and your notes, atleast once in depth, twice if you can, and once more in your weakest areas. Throw in some goljan as you can, and also keep doing questions (more on that to come). Keep thinking outside the box, tie together concepts, try to anticipate how they may ask the questions, and make sure you are picking up on the finer details. This is your time to re-enforce concepts, and really memorize the little details you picked up the first few weeks.

The final week, really kick it up a notch, even if you can't feel like it. That last week, my stomach would churn even holding first aid, but I knew I had to. Do some questions if you want to, but time is of the essence. Think through everything, UNDERSTAND concepts, whats in FA and your notes – learn all the details like about the viruses, the cancer drugs, the different CAH deficiencies – etc. Live and breathe FA

The last day – go for memorizing whatever details you have left, like anatomy, pharm side effects, etc. – pick up what you can, but don't overdue it. Set a schedule, and a time to be done. After you are done, THAT'S IT. PUT THE FIRST AID DOWN! You know what you know – and trust me by now, you are prepared.

I knew I would have a tough time sleeping the night before, so I didn't take any caffeine or sugar after noon the day before. After I stopped studying, I just relaxed – watched Borat, got my mind off things, and went to sleep, knowing that freaking aye man, I put my life on hold for 2 months, I was listening to Goljan in the SHOWER! I've done everything I can, so now I just gotta take it, and in a few hours it will be over.

The test: I arrived early, with a bag full of junk I never ended up using (except lunch). I spent each block going through the questions, and would mark the tougher ones. At the end of each block, I would go through all the marked ones, and really think through them, until I had gone through all of them. Then I would go through the whole block again, just to make sure I didn't misread or miss something, and I would have about a minute left after that. Whatever you do, TAKE A BREAK between each block – even 2 minutes. Just zone out, wonder which test the 60yr old guy next to you is taking, but just let your brain relax. The prometric staff were professional and everything went smoothly. Seats were comfortable – they just need to get freaking LCD screens

I thought the first couple of blocks went well, then it was downhill from there. I started feeling feverish, my heart was racing, I had a bad headache, I really thought I was getting sick. Also my eyes were getting strained from the computer screen. So I would walk outside during each break just to get some fresh air. The test is a mind game – and honestly it got the better of me – I was getting very anxious, I had to calm myself down a few times. I'm telling you this now – so you can prepare for it if it happens to you.

Timing By now you should've been taking questions in timed blocks of 50, so you know if speed will be an issue. If you are slow, try to look for the simpler questions, realize this is one of the ones you know, and move on, save your time for 2-3 step questions. If you know you rush, fight the urge! You've spent two months studying, whats a few minutes? Look over each question carefully, I almost missed (atleast) two questions just because I missed one (yes ONE) word in the stem!

After the test – damn man, you're freaking done. You did it. Now go back home, go see your family or your friends, go see the sun, go do anything. Just live life. And wait patiently for your scores (argh).

So, as far as #'s go:
First starting – about 50% on UWorld, 60% on Qbank (I stopped using Qbank about half way through)
NBME – Form 2, taken two weeks before the exam – 228
I was getting 75% on UWorld the week before the exam (finished about 60%)
Final score – 254/99

Thanks again to all the collective advice on SDN – and I hope this experience helps you out. Best of luck, and I know you will kick some ass.

Any questions feel free to ask away! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Bones,

mad respect. i wish i could simulate that kind of effort and that kind of score. like people who posted before me, i was also wondering when you did questions, like was it a few here and there throughout the day, like with the review books you used, while you were reading them, or just at one time of the day in one block and one sitting separately from studying the books? how would you recommend doing it? also, did you have a set schedule that you stuck to from the beginning or did it change/did you modify it as you went along? Also, did you study things in a certain order, like first the physio, then path, then pharm or did you just study them "together" like physio and path somewhat simultaneously (not sure if that is possible, so far i have been studying them like physio, then path, and pharm in an organ systems way)? sorry that's a lot of questions, but i really, well, would like to do as well as you did, have a lot of respect for getting that kind of a score in six weeks of study time, and I'm wondering how you did it...although i read your description i wasn't clear on those things. thanks for any thoughts you could offer.

I would usually do questions around the afternoon - my test was scheduled from 11am to 7pm so I would try to do the q's around those times. Its weird, but I think our brains function a little different at diff times of the days. So if you have an 8am test, I highly suggest doing q's early - not at night!!

I need to dig up my schedule and post it here. I put it together but tweaked it as needed, and studied in particular order - it was something like this:

Biochem: 4 days
Anatomy: 3 days
Molec/Cell bio: 2 days
Behav Science: 2 days
Micro/Immuno: 5 days
Phys: 4 days
Path: almost 10 days (5 days RR path, 5 days goljan lectures)
Pharm: 2 days

When going through the subjects - I felt like I was getting the big picture, and picking up on a few things - and I would feel pretty good about each subject - but I would still never feel like I grasped "everything". There will inevitably be things you miss and will have to repeat with a 2nd/3rd pass.

I'm not sure about full length test simulations - they will take forever to go over though! Otherwise the best way to find your strenghts and weaknesses is the NBME. As for the stamina - after so many questions your body kind of gets used to them - just stay focused though every question of every block (that alone is quite a task!)

I don't mind the questions - so ask away! Thanks again for all the kind words. I would come back to SDN every now and then to read people's experiences. Now it's my turn to give back!

Bones Congrats on your Great score!! I am taking mine in June. So pretty much the consensus here is that usmleworld is the best. I already bought Kaplan, so my question is: Is it really that good to go and buy it? Also, how do you suggest doing questions, random or subject based?
Congrats again on your great score

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting your story; it is really helpful. After you read through those books, it looks like it gave you about two full weeks at the end. Were you doing mainly questions at that point and then referring back to the books and FA for clarification or were you still doing about 50 questions a day and rereading or listening to goljan?

thanks so much for all the information. i know it's really helpful to me at least. also, it's good to know that someone else likes to study one subject at a time--so far everyone i know is studying by organs so i started doing it too, but i prefer subject-by subject and seeing that you were successful at it, i think i'll probably switch back to subjects now. thanks again for posting your experience, hope you have a great vacation planned after all that hard work!

thanks everyone for the kind words. hope the advice is helping some and hope everyone is studying their nuts off. best of luck!

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting the audio lectures for Goljan. I know alot of people really like them but have no idea where I can purhcase them. Thanks!

bones,
random question,
how long did you study to get your 35 on your MCAT? Did you take the review course or did you study on your own?
thx
rugby

First off, I want to thank SDN and its collective wisdom, some really great stuff on these boards. I just got my score back today, and I’ve been putting together this guide for a while now to give back to the community. (Its LONG!)

So, how did a guy like me who slacked off in basic sciences (I only marginally passed immunology) do well on the boards? Play the game – Know what they’re asking and you’re already two steps ahead. Here’s a good breakdown of how the test goes:

Out of each block of 50 questions, approximately:

• 25-30 q’s would be ones you know, from studying your ass off
  • 10-15 q’s would be ones you *should* know, i.e. you studied but forgot, or there are little details that are tripping you up, etc.
  • 5-10 are the “out of the box” q’s – experimental, stuff you’ve never seen before, minutia from your syllabi or even college courses.

Also this test is very integrative. You’ll have path, phys, and immune all in one question. They’ll combine all types of things, have you make these crazy connections – but with a strong foundation you can do it. The goal of your studying is to maximize those first two groups of questions – by building a strong foundation of BOTH concepts and details.

Strategy:
I had about 6.5 weeks to study – I would say 7 but it took me almost 4 days just to get organized – like figuring out which are the best books, putting together a schedule, etc.

Also, GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN. The man is amazing, he puts stuff together like you can’t imagine. Pepper your studying with his audio lectures – i.e. listen to him whenever possible. The last couple of weeks, I would listen to him while driving, randomly throughout the day, and even in the shower/while getting ready (I know its nuts, but I got an extra lecture in everyday this way!)

Daily Schedule I would study about 10-14 hours a day, depending on when I wake up, and how I was feeling that day. Early on I would spend most of the time with books, then more time with FA as the date got closer. I would try to do 100 q's a day, but it would usually be 50.

First, start off with a pass of first aid – go through it and realize what topics you know well, and what topics you will need to focus on. Also familiarize yourself with the layout, it can be confusing at times and knowing where everything is will definitely save you some time. Then, go through the various study books you have – Read important details, really go through for UNDERSTANDING, and annotate details as much as possible into FA.

Here are my thoughts about each subject and the best book to use (based on my pouring over previous experiences and from personal experience):

• Comprehensive – First aid is still the best. At first I hated the book, and then I realized just how much information is in there. It really is an acquired taste – just get used to it at first, and make sure you annotate into it. It does have holes, and you need to fill them up.
  • Question banks – So I have to say trying both Qbank and USMLEWorld, that UW freaking rocks. The question style, subject matter, etc are all so similar to the step. Qbank is a great tool for testing facts – but their questions focus too much on minutia. UW Ties those facts in with concepts – its great how they do it, and that’s exactly what you’ll have to do on the test. Plus UW costs less (after all those books trust me it adds up). If you only have time for one – do UW. Your brain will hurt, but that’s what the test is like. It really helps maximize those “should know” questions I talked about earlier, and helps tie together concepts. But make sure you read the answer choices and explanations, especially the “educational concept” at the bottom. If you have a time for a 2nd, I would then suggest USMLE-Rx – only because going through the answers is like another read of FA. Qbank? Sorry, but its yesterday’s news.
  • Biochem: RR Biochem – Goljan – I always had a tough time with biochem, and this book was a good balance (in between HY biochem and Lippincott’s). The biochem q’s on the test weren’t too difficult, you either knew it or you didn’t. A lot of the tougher questions came from molec/cell biology (see below)
  • Anatomy: HY Gross, HY Neuro (I got HY embryo and histo but didn’t use them) – Had quite a bit of neuro and extremity anatomy (upper and lower) – and an xray of a fractured foot which kinda threw me off. Otherwise not too difficult – the consensus here is really knowing upper/lower extremity and neuroanatomy well. Know the embryo from FA, and tie in Histo to disease, bc that’s how it’ll be tested.
  • Cell/Molec bio: HY Cell/Molec bio – good book to familiarize yourself with concepts like hox genes (I had 2 q’s about them), Zn finger proteins, heat shock proteins, and cell signaling/receptor/2nd messenger stuff. Also great for knowing different molecular tests, DNA/RNA synthesis, etc. A lot of the “out of the box” questions come from molec bio, worded strangely and can piss you off, but you have decode what they’re asking and this book will help understand whats going on.
  • Behavioral science – I used BRS Behavioral, and it was a good book. I had a good mix of behavioral on my test, this section makes up a relatively large chunk, and like everyone says it can make or break you – so study it well. I also had a lot of patient response questions, which are generally difficult to study for, and there are always two answer choices that look good – really try to figure out the best on though.
  • ID/Micro – Micro Ridiculously simple – still the best book for micro – great stuff, annotate into FA – haven’t had a chance to look at the newest version. Micro is pretty well represented in the test, and they test details; also know your Abx well. Delve deep into the differences between each bug, the various ways they can present – compare and contrast different infections; and focus mostly on bacteria – then on viruses, then on antimicrobials – then fungi – and least important are parasites.
  • Immuno – I used HY Immuno – good read (90 pages of like huge text); but here is a key point. Immunologic processes play a huge role in the mechanism of diseases, and you know this test is about mechanisms! So know your immunopath well – i.e. ARDS in pancreatitis, why?! Why do you get the consolidation in pneumonia (related to diapedesis). So much of immune related to pathophys – so learn it in immune well, learn it in FA well, learn the immunopath during pathology well.
  • Physiology – BRS Phys is great – especially since this section can be tough. A lot of charts, graphs, arrows, messy stuff. I had a good mix of cardio/resp/renal/GI phys. But really really understand what physiological changes take place during exercises/sympathetic stimulation/high altitude, and those sorts of things. Really be able to tie in with path, bc pathophys is “big-time boards”
  • Pathology – RR Path by Goljan – I think its better than BRS, because its more integrative. I would say Path is getting “diluted” on the boards, because they are now mixing in path questions with biochem, or path with phys, path with immuno, etc. And goljan does a fantastic job of bringing these points together. Really focus on the first few chapters, really understand the different types of necrosis, know your immunopath, dig deep into mechanisms of diseases. Pictures - I looked at Goljan's mostly, and supplemented a few with WebPath, for most you can tell what you're looking at from the question (1 of them from the answers :))
  • Pharm – USMLE Roadmap – Pharm - The pharm on the test is straight forward, and usually ties in with other questions. FA is great alone, especially if you already have a strong background in pharm. I had a tough time with Pharm, bc our school doesn’t teach it well; so I really focused on this section near the end.
NBME - After going through everything once, and/or two weeks before your test – I suggest taking an NBME. This will really let you know A) where you stand and B) where your strengths/weaknesses are. This will help you guide the last couple of weeks to focus on what can trip you up, and re-enforce your strengths. Also, the NBME questions are by far the most representative questions to the actual thing – so look at the style of questions. Forms 2 and 3 are the most representative of the actual thing, Form 1 is supposed to be the easiest, and Form 4 is the most challenging (a lot of molec bio).

The last couple of weeks then, really go through FA and your notes, atleast once in depth, twice if you can, and once more in your weakest areas. Throw in some goljan as you can, and also keep doing questions (more on that to come). Keep thinking outside the box, tie together concepts, try to anticipate how they may ask the questions, and make sure you are picking up on the finer details. This is your time to re-enforce concepts, and really memorize the little details you picked up the first few weeks.

The final week, really kick it up a notch, even if you can’t feel like it. That last week, my stomach would churn even holding first aid, but I knew I had to. Do some questions if you want to, but time is of the essence. Think through everything, UNDERSTAND concepts, whats in FA and your notes – learn all the details like about the viruses, the cancer drugs, the different CAH deficiencies – etc. Live and breathe FA

The last day – go for memorizing whatever details you have left, like anatomy, pharm side effects, etc. – pick up what you can, but don’t overdue it. Set a schedule, and a time to be done. After you are done, THAT’S IT. PUT THE FIRST AID DOWN! You know what you know – and trust me by now, you are prepared.

I knew I would have a tough time sleeping the night before, so I didn’t take any caffeine or sugar after noon the day before. After I stopped studying, I just relaxed – watched Borat, got my mind off things, and went to sleep, knowing that freaking aye man, I put my life on hold for 2 months, I was listening to Goljan in the SHOWER! I’ve done everything I can, so now I just gotta take it, and in a few hours it will be over.

The test: I arrived early, with a bag full of junk I never ended up using (except lunch). I spent each block going through the questions, and would mark the tougher ones. At the end of each block, I would go through all the marked ones, and really think through them, until I had gone through all of them. Then I would go through the whole block again, just to make sure I didn’t misread or miss something, and I would have about a minute left after that. Whatever you do, TAKE A BREAK between each block – even 2 minutes. Just zone out, wonder which test the 60yr old guy next to you is taking, but just let your brain relax. The prometric staff were professional and everything went smoothly. Seats were comfortable – they just need to get freaking LCD screens

I thought the first couple of blocks went well, then it was downhill from there. I started feeling feverish, my heart was racing, I had a bad headache, I really thought I was getting sick. Also my eyes were getting strained from the computer screen. So I would walk outside during each break just to get some fresh air. The test is a mind game – and honestly it got the better of me – I was getting very anxious, I had to calm myself down a few times. I’m telling you this now – so you can prepare for it if it happens to you.

Timing By now you should’ve been taking questions in timed blocks of 50, so you know if speed will be an issue. If you are slow, try to look for the simpler questions, realize this is one of the ones you know, and move on, save your time for 2-3 step questions. If you know you rush, fight the urge! You’ve spent two months studying, whats a few minutes? Look over each question carefully, I almost missed (atleast) two questions just because I missed one (yes ONE) word in the stem!

After the test – damn man, you’re freaking done. You did it. Now go back home, go see your family or your friends, go see the sun, go do anything. Just live life. And wait patiently for your scores (argh).

So, as far as #’s go:
First starting – about 50% on UWorld, 60% on Qbank (I stopped using Qbank about half way through)
NBME – Form 2, taken two weeks before the exam – 228
I was getting 75% on UWorld the week before the exam (finished about 60%)
Final score – 254/99

Thanks again to all the collective advice on SDN – and I hope this experience helps you out. Best of luck, and I know you will kick some ass.

Any questions feel free to ask away! :D

Good advice:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the great score...

However, your title seems a bit well, inappropriate. I wouldn't define a slacker as someone who studies an average of 12 hours a day for 6.5 weeks prior to Step I. You obviously are a highly motivated student who was willing to log long hours and in the end, it really paid off. Your study schedule and words of encouragement are quite on target too. But don't sell yourself short. You may view yourself as somewhat of a slacker, but by what standard are you measuring by?

Very late but still worth saying

Thanks so much for this post! I referred to this post multiple, multiple times and picked up quite a few pieces of very useful advice here. In the end, I finished with a very similar score. (I've created a similar post in the hopes of helping someone as much as Bones as helped me)

Again, thanks! :D

Why does this dude think he deserves his own thread rather then the 2007 step experiences? Perhaps a better title would be how to get a big ego in 6 weeks?

The best way to do well is not be a slacker 1st two years. Picking up the weird details DURING SCHOOL are what will get you the points you need to get the top scores. You won't be able to study those details in 6 weeks.

While I agree with you that the best way to do things is to not be a slacker, I think that right there is the reason he posted a whole separate thread. This is the "Oh crap, I slacked off for 2 years, now what?" thread.

can you condense this ...for the true slackers - so much reading make head hurt you knoww...
just kidding im done with the boards just was reading it to sayyy - you are awesome for sharing your war plans.

You'd want to finish a first pass of all the subjects before taking the NBME - so it'll be an honest assessment.

As with everything there are some very useful tips in this thread. I must disagree with this part of the advice. I actually think that you should take an NBME before you begin the hard studying for several reasons..

1. The most important reason is so you know what kind of beast you will be up against. Very similar to what a pro golfer would do well before a match....they play the course on their own. This gives you the feel of the questions and lets you look into the mind of the test writers. It gives you a sense of what they are looking for. Many people take the NBMEs and focus on the content when you should be really also be looking at the mechanics, how the questions were set up and what type of thinking is required. By doing this you can approach the material in the same way, i.e. instead of dry memorization of material you try to make connections to different things while you are studying.

2. You can realize how much you really have learned your second year. Sure you may take and NBME and get a 187 and feel like crap but wait...you basically would have passed the USLME without studying a thing! This should give you confidence in the base you have and help give you a starting point to build. I think you are worse off if you do a hardcore first pass and then get a 216. I think you would feel far more depressed and less motivated.

just my two-cents.

Where and how can I obtain Goljan Audio lectures??? I looked at Amazon but could not find it.

These kinds of questions will get people very irritated on this forum. Consider this a warning.

PS. This was not an attempt to be mean, but rather, some friendly advice.

Where and how can I obtain Goljan Audio lectures??? I looked at Amazon but could not find it.

The Goljan Audio lectures are copyrighted and not available for sale legally. They were a set of unauthorized recordings of a crash course he did quite a few years ago, which were never released for sale. Please do not use SDN to discuss how or where to acquire such copyrighted materials. Thanks.

LawDOC thanks alot for clearing the confusion.

Forge7 i am not here to irritate anyone, i am only here to do well in my boards.

LawDOC thanks alot for clearing the confusion.

Forge7 i am not here to irritate anyone, i am only here to do well in my boards.

Well in that case, welcome, stick around, do some of your own searches, and I promise you you'll learn a lot.

And yeah we do have people on this forum who ask questions just to irritate. They're called trolls.