My DAT Journey - Day by Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akakakakak

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly posting this here to hold myself accountable. I have a goal of scoring a 23 AA on the DAT - which is understandably quite the feat... My exam is to be taken mid April... Wish my luck guys

Here is Day 1 of my journey on SDN

Gen Chem Bootcamp Exam 1 Score - 11
Gen Chem BootcampExam 2 Score - 17
Watched and took notes on Chad's Day 2 OCHEM + Read 2 chapters in Cliff's

The first Gen Chem Bootcamp exam was kind of a waste as I was really just trying to gauge where I was at as I start this trek...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to you, I am taking the exam in early April too. I am trying to score a 22+ on the DAT. I would recommend reviewing the material before taking Bootcamp though.

Good luck to you, I am taking the exam in early April too. I am trying to score a 22+ on the DAT. I would recommend reviewing the material before taking Bootcamp though.

Although my two scores don't reflect it, I finished Chad's Gen Chem thoroughly - taking actual exams is a bit different than when I just watched videos- I am hoping my scores go up - we shall see tom :)

Although my two scores don't reflect it, I finished Chad's Gen Chem thoroughly - taking actual exams is a bit different than when I just watched videos- I am hoping my scores go up - we shall see tom :)
True! Practice is everything, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
it's way too early for you to do tests. You should spend your time making notes and reviewing right now. I only used chad's vids for chem and I was scoring easy 23-25 on the chem tests. You should know his videos inside out before you get into the tests!

it's way too early for you to do tests. You should spend your time making notes and reviewing right now. I only used chad's vids for chem and I was scoring easy 23-25 on the chem tests. You should know his videos inside out before you get into the tests!

Perhaps, but I needed to start gauging where I am at to start focusing on my weaknesses

With scores of 11, 17, 17 it sounds like everything is a weakness. Finish reviewing before doing the tests.

I've watched his Gen Chem videos like 5 times each - I just don't know if watching them for a 6th time will make the difference - thats my only quarrel with doing that...

Have you taken notes and done the corresponding quizzes with the videos?
Yes to both - and missed a question here or there on a quiz, but really understood them conceptually - I felt like I needed more practice - I got 18/30 right on my last gen chem exam, with me timing out on 3 of them and just guessing, another 2 were just errors on my part I didn't catch... I think I will go over the videos again after I am done with Ochem and take thorough notes, reviewing over the material afterwords - making sure it is down pat ---we'll see

Today rewatched the first three sections of Gen Chem + Watched the first 2 sections of Day 3 OCHEM - It was really tough today - all the reactions have my head hurting :'( but i'm happy - at least I'm understanding the material

Members don't see this ad :)
Goals for today are to have the rest of Day 1 Gen Chem + Day 3 of O CHEM completely down - Knowing them forwards and backwards. What has really helped this time around (I mentioned before that after watching all of Chads Gen Chem several times, I still scored a 17) - is being laser focused and PRINTING OFF HIS NOTES AND TAKING MORE- time is time, and I don't want it to be ill spent - I also don't want to have to rematch them again... so yea here goes - Gonna try pulling a 12 hr session today (including little breaks) - wish me luck fam!

Lol started panicking - gonna put in another 2 hours and finish another few sections of GEN CHEM DAY 2

Real talk, you should stop wasting your BC tests and study. No need to gauge where you are. Just assume everything is your weakness and give it your all. Save the mocks for the week before your exam.

Last edited:
Real talk, you should stop wasting your BC tests and study. No need to gauge where yourself. Just assume everything is your weakness and give it your all. Save the mocks for the week before your exam.

Thank you, I will take your word!

Why are you pulling 12 hour days if your exam is in April? You're gunna burn out really fast.

I feel really behind in OCHEM - Also BIO is so vast and I seemingly know nothing
You're better off studying fewer hours per day so you can absorb the information. I know it seems overwhelming but the last thing you want to do is study and forget it all!

Reactions: 1 user

There is so MUCH to go over
- I need to watch Chads at minimum twice to actually feel like I grasp it and than study the notes...
- I need to do Destroyer + Math Destroyer twice from what I hear to score well
- I need to memorize all of Feralis's notes - which out of the 78 pages, I recognize like 10 of them
- I need to at least review over PAT and RC so I don't score like a 15...
...I don't even know how else it can be done if i'm not clocking in hours galore...

You're better off studying fewer hours per day so you can absorb the information. I know it seems overwhelming but the last thing you want to do is study and forget it all!

I see your point...But i'm reviewing things once I get done...I'll reevaluate things after a couple of weeks if I don't think I have made much progress...

Also I should preface things by saying that:
a) I am on winter break right now till the 11th and want to max out my studying hours
b) I still workout 2 hrs + eat+ waste about another 2 hours doing random things like getting on here so really more like 8 hour days...

At the risk of sounding rude, am I the only one who doesn't think this thread is appropriate for the forums, if you're taking your DAT in April and are going to post here on this forum every single day?

At the risk of sounding rude, am I the only one who doesn't think this thread is appropriate for the forums, if you're taking your DAT in April and are going to post here on this forum every single day?

Yeah I see your point, but it is an interesting idea and I kind of wish I had made a journal of progress for my DAT. A sub-forum for DAT journals would be a pretty good idea.

Managed to finish another section of GEN CHEM and O CHEM of Chads - I am now 3/7 on Gen Chem and 1/6 on OCHEM since I restarted and went over everything this time - taking thorough notes

I personally like the idea. If it keeps him motivated, I don't see a problem. However, if it's against forum rules, then I guess there's that. I have no idea though, I personally don't mind.

Reactions: 3 users
Goodluck on your studies! I plan on taking my DAT on the 20th on this month (been studying for 3 months). I recommend waiting to take Bootcamp science exams AFTER you finish ALL Chads videos + note taking. Bootcamp science questions are more difficult then Chads quizzes, I would even attempt to go through Destroyer once before start taking Bootcamp science exams.

LOL... I have - just been inboxing those that are "study buddying" with me! I have reviewed all of Chads Gen Chem - I have Chads OChem sections 5 and 6 to do tomorrow before I am done with his videos. Following that on Monday I am doing the first 3 pages of feralis's and reviewing over Chad's OChem section 1 - making sure I know every detail :)

Last edited:
I hope this serves as motivation to all...

...so every single day for the last 3 weeks I have woken up and thought to myself - "I freaking hate this. I don't want to do this." At around the halfway point of my studying everyday I want to quit and just push it off till the next day... I want you all to know that WE CAN do this... I think we all go through that mental struggle and strain, and I think that is what makes or breaks those who do well on this exam...

...you are not alone...and yes - I have ~2 more hours of grind time today....back at it

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure a lot of us are in the grind. You have time though :). I really don't want to reschedule and I have a good feeling I'll be ready soon.

BIO 15 GC 17 OC 15 RC 19 QR 16 PAT 19

....this is where I currently stand - I will update weekly section by section as I improve... I am trying to get each section to above a 20, which is very doable considering I haven't finished studying/started on many of these sections

Last edited:
Didn't even get interviewed at Harvard. I don't think having a high DAT ended up being a very strong asset when it came to admissions, honestly.
Can you elaborate a little on this, or in-depth if you have time. What are the greatest assets? Shadowing, Community Service?

Can you elaborate a little on this, or in-depth if you have time. What are the greatest assets? Shadowing, Community Service?

Overall, I suspect that having a high/perfect GPA is a greater asset than a high DAT score once you've crossed the barrier of 23+. Meaning a 4.0/23 probably looks a lot better than a 3.5/30. I still think GPA and DAT are probably the most important factors. Beyond that I'm sure it varies by school, with different emphasis on research/leadership/volunteering. Sometimes geographical location plays a significant role depending on how picky a school is about its OOS candidates.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting advice Feralis. What if that 3.5 is after a pretty good junior year though? I got a 3.8 in the fall and am going for a 4.0 in the spring. I would be ~3.5 after that. I'm hoping to do well on my DAT in a week but I've only been avging 20-21 on bootcamp.

Today going over Chad's OChem Day 2 again, reviewing over Pg 1-9 of Feralis's again, and doing one RC exam - if I have more time (unlikely) I will try and go over Chad's GChem Day 7 again

Thanks Dan! Funny thing is I didn't even finish more than 1/3 of destroyer yet. Might not have been the best idea to not finish destroyer first idk. My PAT is low though. I get like 17s and 18s on it...