my dat experience (7/30/03)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marshall

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting to write this post for a long time. Well I just found out about SDN a month ago but a long time I've been waiting to say that I'm done with the DAT.

My scores:

AA - 23
PAT - 19

Quant Reasoning - 22
Reading Comp - 24

Bio - 21
Gen Chem - 27
Orgo - 20

Science - 22

First, Prometric is where old people go to make money after they can't be employed anywhere else. Second, these computers are pretty crappy. The software is really crappy. The screens are maybe 16" but they aren't tweaked so the test has a big 1 inch border around it on the monitor.

My Preparation:

Took the Kaplan class last summer. Stopped going after 8 classes or so because it was a waste of my time. Read some of the big Kaplan book when I could (rest of summer + winter break). Maybe 2hrs/day but it was more like 6 hours one day and none for the next two :-D

This summer I listened to the Audio learn DAT tapes (I ripped them to CD first though) and they were pretty useless too. Flashcards are a way better way to spend your time if you use public transportation. I also bought DAT secrets. That was a piece of crap too. Topscore was good but I only bought it two weeks ago so I only did maybe 5 subject tests and no full length.

Bio:

Pretty easy. A couple of questions are difficult (= don't know the answer) but they aren't classification questions. They are just general stuffs about respiration/photosynth and different living beings. I had that forelimb question also. I think anybody who takes it right now gets a lot of the same questions. There is nothing really hard just a little bit from everything. Know genetics, know classifications, know about respir/photosynth in detail, possibly including structures if you can't deduce it yourself.

Gen Chem:

Well you saw my score I thought it was pretty damn easy. Know stoichiometry and periodic trends. That's about it.

Orgo:

I hate organic chemistry and always have. I basically got two goose eggs when I took it (C- each semester) and this is my lowest science score. Know E1/E2/Sn1/Sn2 inside and out. Know aromaticity. Know about methyl shifts. KNOW ABOUT ETHERS. I think ethers are hardly ever covered but they surfaced their ugly heads because I hadn't dealt with them enough. I can guarantee at least 3 questions that have an ether in the answers that will be hard to eliminate or may be the right one.

Reading: Really easy.

Math: Estimate as best you can but it's still pretty damn easy. I almost ran out of time because I tend to calculate everything even if they just ask you to estimate.

PAT: I hate PAT also. Angles are impossible. Top/Side/End are OK I thought. Pattern folding is a lot harder than Topscore/Kaplan I thought. I usually die on TSE but ended up dying on Pattern folding.

Good luck. I hope this post helps someone out.

Members don't see this ad.

Great scores....but I would've moved it to the DAT forum if I was a Moderator!

this may be a stupid question, but what do you mean by methyl shifts? Thanks.

The number one factor to consider when dealing with carbocation chemistry (ie, all reactions that generate carbocation intermediates) is to consider the stability of the carbocation intermediates. Often, the initial intermediate may be a primary or secondary carbocation which is less stable than secondary and tertiary carbocations, respectively. One can often generate a more stable carbocation through rearrangements (ie, methyl shifts, but MUCH more commonly thru hydride shifts) and this is what in fact occurs! For example, addition of HCl to 3-methyl-1-butene yields 3-chloro-3-methylbutane. Initial protonation of the primary carbon yields a secondary carbocation. However, we all know that tertiary carbocations are more stable than secondary and we can generate a tertiary carbocation if a hydride shift occurs (ie, the H on C3 shifts over). The tertiary carbocation is then captured by chloride yielding the product. In this case, if a methyl shift were to occur, you would get a secondary carbocation which is energetically (and structurally) identical to the initial secondary carbocation! Just remember the golden rule: whenever you generate a carbocation, ask yourself, is it possible to generate a more stable one through a rearrangement??? If yes, DO SO because it will lead to the CORRECT ANSWER!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry... the product of the reaction above is 2-chloro-2-methylbutane... :) NOT 3-chloro-3-methylbutane

marshall

How were your scores in relation to the Topscore. Higher? Lower? or the same?

Also, relative difficulty as compared to Topscore?

top score is not really accurate about test scores. it is harder. i tend to underperform in simulated tests. when its time to do the real thing im sure i performed better, not necessarily because the test was way easier but i think it was definitely somewhat easier. quant is about the same across the board. bio also is about the same. I scored 17-20 Bio on the 3 top score tests. i scored 20 on the quant Top score test. i scored 17 on the orgo top score test. i didn't take any of the other ones except PAT where i scored a 20.

regards, marshall

GREAT SCORE :clap:
People here are getting good scores, I think maybe SDN has some sort good luck thing :love:

You're superawesome!!! great scores for a great predent... dental schools would be dumb not to want you!! Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :love:

The Dat discussions forum is now open and DesiDentist is the new moderator!! Moving over there...