My current status in med school, is it too bad for radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Offroader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, well I'm studying medicine in a country other than US and my GPA is 4.4 so far and I have not entered clinical courses yet. What really terrifies me is that I got 3 out of 5 in Head and Neck anatomy. Does it really matter considering I'm not educating in US? I have plenty of time so I'm sure I'll be doing great on USMLE STEP I and II but my grade in Head and Neck Anatomy really worries me :( I also have done a lot of extracurricular activities and I'm a National Officer at International Federation of Medical Students Association + I have submitted a poster for RSNA (Radiology Society of North Ameria) and I'm gonna publish a paper in radiology too (I have done some more things which I didn't mention however I believe they're not a big deal) But the fact that I have a low GPA (4.4 however I'm in the first quartile of my class and higher), my Head and Neck Anatomy grade and me being not American,worries me a big deal! However I have plenty of time now to do a lot (publish papers in radiology journals, attending Mayo workshops on radiology, etc.) and I have still a little hope left for radiology... please help/advice me :)

Members don't see this ad.

the american scale is 4.0 means perfect so there is no way of us knowing what a 4.4 means to you

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like the way in which you're graded is substantially different than U.S. allopathic schools, or at least the ones with which I'm familiar. At U.S. MD schools, pre-clinical grades play a relatively small role in overall GPA or class rank. And those grades can be even less meaningful because so many schools are pass/fail. Also, anatomy is typically graded and reported as a single course on the transcript, rather than program down into subsections. So, you see, without knowing the relative weight of this head and neck anatomy grade, it's nearly impossible to give you an honest assessment. And, of course, that says nothing of the fact that your step scores will make or break you. You could be valedictorian of your class, but if you get a 205 on step I, then it doesn't mean much.

It sounds like the way in which you're graded is substantially different than U.S. allopathic schools, or at least the ones with which I'm familiar. At U.S. MD schools, pre-clinical grades play a relatively small role in overall GPA or class rank. And those grades can be even less meaningful because so many schools are pass/fail. Also, anatomy is typically graded and reported as a single course on the transcript, rather than program down into subsections. So, you see, without knowing the relative weight of this head and neck anatomy grade, it's nearly impossible to give you an honest assessment. And, of course, that says nothing of the fact that your step scores will make or break you. You could be valedictorian of your class, but if you get a 205 on step I, then it doesn't mean much.
I know but is a GPA of 3.52 (out of 4) considered terrible for radiology? Can Step scores cover bad GPA? Does GPA matter for student coming outside US?

I can't even tell you what my medical school GPA was. It's not a meaningful number, or at least it wasn't when I applied. Residency programs cared a lot more about 1) step score, 2) class rank and medical school reputation, and 3) clerkship grades, particularly from medicine and surgery.

From a foreign school, the only things that really matter any great deal are publications and Step scores. The grading systems just aren't all that comparable to the US and the student quality is so variable that individual grades and class rank aren't much of a factor. Rads is always a pretty long shot for an IMG though.

Do not think rad is a long shot for IMG. Match statistics have indicated an increase in IMGs matching. This will continue to accelerate as the specialty continues to lose desirabilty for reasons previously discussed here. The risk taking behavior amongst med students going into rads will decline.

Do not think rad is a long shot for IMG. Match statistics have indicated an increase in IMGs matching. This will continue to accelerate as the specialty continues to lose desirabilty for reasons previously discussed here. The risk taking behavior amongst med students going into rads will decline.

The field is definitely less desirable. However, if I were a medical student now I would choose radiology again. And I am a partner in pp and not a 2nd year resident.

Like many other choices in life, choosing a medical specialty may turn out to be right or wrong for you. Only time will tell you. Right now, I have the job in my desirable location, the hours are good, the job is busy and sometimes exhausting but not really bad, I get paid more than most doctors and I have enough connections in this area to find another job if I want to change my job. Bottom line: I am very happy with my choice.

However, it may not work for many. I am really sorry for you that radiology did not work for you. Probably you had different expectations or the field does not fit your personality. You may want more patient contact or you may want to do colonoscopies rather than reading CTs.

Anyway, I think that you are in a very bad situation. It is obvious from your previous posts that whatever you do, you are really miserable. You are now in the better years of your life and unfortunately as you become older, life in general will become worse. I am sorry for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree bad situation. Would switch jobs but there are almost none in my region! If I found one , the job would likely be worse in many ways. And I am too old to do something else in medicine.

I do not like call and off hour shifts. In the old days, would have switched to academics or VA, but this is not an option now, Saving aggresively and hope to get out at a relatively young age, maybe part time is the answer? Not sure that is an option where I am or anywhere in my area! Will see.

You Shark definitely do not have the average outcome right now. High paying partner job in a desirable location. Many desirable places have few true partnerships these days, and few job openings for fellows.

Last edited:
Agree bad situation. Would switch jobs but there are almost none in my region! If I found one , the job would likely be worse in many ways. And I am too old to do something else in medicine.

I do not like call and off hour shifts. In the old days, would have switched to academics or VA, but this is not an option now, Saving aggresively and hope to get out at a relatively young age, maybe part time is the answer? Not sure that is an option where I am or anywhere in my area! Will see.

You Shark definitely do not have the average outcome right now. High paying partner job in a desirable location. Many desirable places have few true partnerships these days, and few job openings for fellows.

Average income for most fields is (much) less in desirable locations than rural fly-over country. Or even if the income is higher, the work is much much harder. I think someone in his mid-career should know these basics.

If you have a REAL HAPPY LIFE outside your job, even the worst radiology job with 170K income shouldn't make you feel as miserable as you are. A smaller place to live, a less luxurious car and a less expensive vacation. Doable. I was a resident with 40-45K income and my life was as happy or even happier than now.

Less income doesn't make people miserable. The root of problem is usually somewhere else. Think about it. Academic pediatricians with 130K income are even happier than CT surgeons with 900K income.

Agree income does not correlate with happiness. Income needed to cover basics for me is probably 1/3 of what I make. Rest goes to college savings, retirement savings in addition to 401k and future expenses. I have no debt. I would take an easier more stable job with lower income, but there are none around me!

A bad unfair, too busy job with little stability can really hurt your life all around particularly if there are few others. You feel stuck. I hope that this current depression in radiology passes, but my feeling is that it will not since the commoditization of our field has been cemented.

Agree income does not correlate with happiness. Income needed to cover basics for me is probably 1/3 of what I make. Rest goes to college savings, retirement savings in addition to 401k and future expenses. I have no debt. I would take an easier more stable job with lower income, but there are none around me!

A bad unfair, too busy job with little stability can really hurt your life all around particularly if there are few others. You feel stuck. I hope that this current depression in radiology passes, but my feeling is that it will not since the commoditization of our field has been cemented.
I often find your posts to be a bit too negative, but this is probably your best one I've read...primarily due to your honesty and a glimpse into the thought behind the usually jaded posts. Thanks for sharing.