my country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisichka

certified demonologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an American living in Bangladesh and working with forty different cultures. It's funny to ask some little Asian kid, for example where they are from and they reply, "Minnesota."

Just tell them you're from the North Pole and there are no med schools there.:D

I was born here in the US and have a bit of a British accent especially when I am angry. Since most of my household was British, I tend to revert to my original culture at times. In short, you can't help your accent and this is your country. The only way to make it better is not to perpetuate the ugliness and move on about your life. You can't change anyone except yourself so don't waste energy worrying about the bad behaviour of others.

ok i would like to vent a bit...

i am very upset. some people are so prejudiced. they just make really big assumptions just because i have an accent and seem foreign to them... i was born in eastern europe, but grew up here...

this happened to me twice already, first they notice your accent, then they ask me where i am from, then they ask what i do for living. sometimes i also mention that i am applying to medschools, and automatically, i get: why don;t you go to medschool in your country? my country? what? i am an american citizen, and my country is here. i hate it when that happens. +pissed++pissed++pissed+

i would appreciate some advise, feedback, support, just anything really. thank you :)
Alot of premeds are "worried" about other pre-meds taking "their" spot by whatever means. The even more insecure one's are especially afraid of international students coming in and taking "their spot". You are American and you know it, so just chalk these people's comments up to ignorance and forget about them. No premed has a "spot", because everyone is working hard to get in, anywhere. If it makes you feel any better, I love when doctors have accents :).