My Competitivity for Selective Colleges

Crazyday

Junior in HS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for students or others who are capable of providing sound advice regarding how competitive I am based on my academic motivation, GPA, class rank, standardized test scores, and extracurricular activities.

The school I am most interested in being admitted to is Washington University in St. Louis, and I am looking for someone(s) to help me determine if I have a decent chance of gaining admission. I am also considering applying early decision, and I could use some advice as to the wisdom of that when taking into account my resume.

I would prefer not to post all of my grades and information on this public forum, so if you would be willing to help advise me on this, please leave a post or send me a personal message.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't a chance "thread", this is asking for people who are willing to help to send me a personal message. If you aren't willing to help and just want to post condescending sarcasm regarding how socially inept other people are (ironic), then don't post.

Whether or not I am a neurotic overachiever is none of your concern, nor of any concern to the issue to which I seek assistance.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice overuse of vocabulary words. I bet you'll write great personal statements.

Nice overuse of vocabulary words. I bet you'll write great personal statements.

Writing fluently and professionally is an overuse of vocabulary words? Okay.

Shoo. I can tell you're already grasping at straws to try to flame me for asking for advice, for what reason I don't know.

Writing fluently and professionally is an overuse of vocabulary words? Okay.

Shoo. I can tell you're already grasping at straws to try to flame me for asking for advice, for what reason I don't know.

Writing fluently and professionally isn't an overuse of vocabulary words. Sprinkling in your flashcard-studied SAT words whenever you find the chance and making all your posts sound like they were written by a pretentious 17 year old is, though.

I'm not really trying to flame you. I'd just rather not see this kind of thread in here, because it tends to spark 30 or so similar threads immediately afterwards. I linked you to a forum dedicated to stuff like this, but you took offense to it, for a what reason I don't know. Maybe you're just a little too serious.

Writing fluently and professionally isn't an overuse of vocabulary words. Sprinkling in your flashcard-studied SAT words whenever you find the chance and making all your posts sound like they were written by a pretentious 17 year old is, though.

I'm not really trying to flame you. I'd just rather not see this kind of thread in here, because it tends to spark 30 or so similar threads immediately afterwards. I linked you to a forum dedicated to stuff like this, but you took offense to it, for a what reason I don't know. Maybe you're just a little too serious.

Please tell me what vocabulary words I used that would give an average person trouble. Inept? Condescending? Ironic? I'm not seeing anything that I would have to study with a flashcard, although if you have to look in a dictionary to know what these words mean, maybe you shouldn't be reading these forums.

All my posts sound like they were written by a pretentious 17 year old? You can read most of my posts if you would like. When I make a thread asking for assistance, and prefer the thread to remain professional, I will write in a more professional fashion. If you consider that pretentious, well I guess that's a personal problem.

Do you seriously wonder why I would take offense at your post? Considering you called me a neurotic overachiever (is that big vocabulary?), and said it rather condescendingly, who wouldn't take offense? You could have posted your "advice" in a much more courteous fashion, but no, you resorted to personal attacks and sarcasm instead.

This thread is already here, and if I remember correctly, this is a public forum. If it bothers you so much to have a "chances" thread on here, when I'm not even boasting "OMG I HAVE 4.0 RANKED NUMBA 1 12 AP'S CAN I GET INTO X COLLEGE". I don't see why you can't just ignore the thread.

For your information, my academic record is not flawless and it is actually questionable rather or not I am competitive for this college. I am not a neurotic overachiever, but I guess if that's what you want to think of me, go for it. I can already tell that I don't care for your opinion, especially if you think I'm using high-tech vocabulary.

Now, if you could please find a more reasonable use of your time and stop posting inflammatory responses on a thread asking for advice, that would be great of you.

Thanks once again.

This thread makes me giggle. Thanks for the entertainment guys.

hey i actually got offered a full scholarship to washu (moog scholarship) and i know about ~30 people going there right now, i would definitely be able to judge your strength as an applicant.

Wouldn't it be best to speak with a college counselor? Also, most schools publish class profiles so you can figure out where you stand in terms of academics.

Is competitivity a word? Are you from the midwest? Just curious, I've never heard that word before. Best of luck with WashU!!! I'll be there for med.

Is competitivity a word? Are you from the midwest? Just curious, I've never heard that word before. Best of luck with WashU!!! I'll be there for med.

I wondered that too, but I typed define: competitivity in google and it brings it up, so I guess so.

I'm definitely going to talk to some faculty when I'm there Al and see what they think, but I wanted some outside opinions as well. I'm not too concerned academic wise, it's extracurriculars that I'm really lacking on through most of my high school career, so that's mostly why I'm sketchy on my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just stop arguing and post your stats or something so we can give you an idea. Yes i use to quite frequently be on CC, and its not all that great looking at stats of those kids, 80% of whom are top 2% students, have some of the best stats and activities. Its not all that important to do thousands of things to get into a decent - top college.

If you want some advice, post what you have so far to get a better idea of how we might be able to help you or advice you. College councelors are good, but they are also extremely busy and might not always provide you with the best answers. (i use to work in the college office at my high school and actually wound up giving advice to most students)

I don't understand the issue with his question ? What exactly are chance threads ?

Threads where the poster is asking what there chances are at a college or med school... there's a whole "WAMC" forum in the Pre-Med forum...

Pretty sure that's specifically for medical school, as it is under the pre-allopathic forums and there are only med school inquiries in that forum.

Pretty sure that's specifically for medical school, as it is under the pre-allopathic forums and there are only med school inquiries in that forum.

I know but I love to go snoop around in there. It's really interesting... sometimes.

Threads where the poster is asking what there chances are at a college or med school... there's a whole "WAMC" forum in the Pre-Med forum...

Oh Okay never heard of that before , just that poster comes off a bit hostile and bitter and I fail to see why .

Wikipedia has it, so maybe.

I wasn't thinking of -ness at the time, so it should be competitiveness. Competitivity sounded off to me, but my spellcheck says it's a word and so does wiki so.

Damn. This thread reminded me of high school. I miss it already :(

If you don't like the thread, it's simple: Don't read it. There are plenty of threads that I don't bother to read because it has no use to me. Spending your time arguing with someone who is just innocently asking for some advice or perspective is the pretentious thing, not speaking intellectually. Some people actually use "big" vocabulary words in every day language,not to sound smart, but because it's actually PART of the English language. Honestly, starting a confrontation with someone who is just looking for help makes you look pretty foolish. Judging from how you speak with such authority, I take it that you are someone who is older than the typical poster on this forum. As such, you should have known better, been a little more mature, and had a little bit more compassion for a nervous high school student. What goes around comes around, and you better hope that people are more helpful to you in the future than you were on this thread.

PS: In other news, couldn't one argue that everyone who spends time on an academic forum is a bit neurotic? I know I didn't start using these forums until I became very serious about my academics. Just saying, You're kind of a pot on a forum full of kettles.