my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drguy22

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok..i have a question to ask all of u....

I want to go to Robert Wood Johnson or NJ med...both state schools for me...here is my stats....

CUmulative college gpa: 3.649 AMCAS GPA -3.63
BIO GPA- 3.69
overall 3.600

extra-currics- i have 2 research positions. One at Robert Wood where i helped write a IRB proposal and an currently helping in writing a grant for a pilot study. And the other is just looking at MRI's of children with autism and see is they have any structural abnormailities. I also tutor calc 1 to minority student through a special program. In addition, both of my parents are disabled, so i really have to help them out....with all that...i have a pretty wierd transcript trent......

first semester semester/cumul (15crs) - 3.1/3.1
2nd semester/cumul (18 crs) - 3.389/3.258
summer semester/cumul (6crs) - 4.0/3.372
3rd semester (18 crs) - 3.917/3.544
4th semester (17 crs)- 4.0/3.649

i came in with AP bio 101-102 credits, calc 1 credits, and psych credits. I am also a double major in Biology and Psychology, which i will be completing in 3yrs.

Lets say...i get a 27 on my MCATS which i took in april 2004 ( 8PS 8VR and 11Bio ) what do you all think my chances of getting into med school are????

pls be honest......thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what your chances are, what did you have for lunch on the 24th of June in 2002?

A 3.6 with a great upward trend, research, volunterring, and the fact that you have parents who are diasbled and probably genuinely influenced you in your decision to become a doctor... even a 27 should get you an interview. From there, I don't know. A 30 should seal the deal, I'd say.

shock827 said:
I'm not sure what your chances are, what did you have for lunch on the 24th of June in 2002?

LOL...This is the most informative advice post I've seen. To the OP, if you get a 27 MCAT I think your chances of getting accepted are below 50/50, but not horrible. Are you URM, by chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP- I'd say your chances are pretty good, but what do I know. The average MCAT at UMDNJ is ~30, so there must be scores both above and below that number to arrive at the average. Your ECs look strong.

drguy- URM is (I think) in flux...I understand it to be UnderRepresented Minority, but there's a new AAMC definition as UnderRepresented in Medicine; either way it's minorities of very specific type (Blacks, some Hispanics, and some others).

dc

drguy22 said:
no i dont think im a uRM.....well...i just better hope i get into BA/MD.... :confused:

You'll probably be fine. Apply to a good range of schools.

bigdan said:
Wait...don't you have to apply to BA/MD programs while in High School?

Nope this is a special program...where i apply at the end of my sophmore year........ :luck: