My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarahx3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am currently a senior double majoring in general science and economics. I have a 3.2 cgpa and a 2.9 sgpa. I have not taken the MCATs yet because I want to prepare myself. I have an upward trend in my gpa but I wonder if my grades are still too low? Do I have a shot at DO schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you do still have a shot. Continue with the upward trend and do well on the MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Get your science >3.0 and kill the mcat

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I never really understood these threads. Hypothetically, let's say SDN's consensus was that you WONT get in with that gpa, no matter how well you do for the rest of your college career. Does that mean you just won't try in school anymore? :confused:

Hi guys, I am currently a senior double majoring in general science and economics. I have a 3.2 cgpa and a 2.9 sgpa. I have not taken the MCATs yet because I want to prepare myself. I have an upward trend in my gpa but I wonder if my grades are still too low? Do I have a shot at DO schools?

Thanks!
As of now the GPAs are too low; you'll be screened out at most schools because of your sGPA. Try to get them both to at LEAST 3.25 to avoid cutoffs. >/=3.4 for each would be best with a good MCAT score. Good luck!
Mean GPA for 2016 matriculants was ~3.55 cGPA and ~3.45sGPA with a 502.15 average MCAT.

Not to sound like a broken record, but you definitely have a chance of getting in. Try to boost your GPA as much as possible and pad the other areas of your app. Shadow a DO and have them write you an LOR, it goes a long way!

Good luck!

I never really understood these threads. Hypothetically, let's say SDN's consensus was that you WONT get in with that gpa, no matter how well you do for the rest of your college career. Does that mean you just won't try in school anymore? :confused:
No, it means it's time for a career change and possibly a change in major, which will help them out in the long run.

As of now the GPAs are too low; you'll be screened out at most schools because of your sGPA. Try to get them both to at LEAST 3.25 to avoid cutoffs. >/=3.4 for each would be best with a good MCAT score. Good luck!
Mean GPA for 2016 matriculants was ~3.55 cGPA and ~3.45sGPA with a 502.15 average MCAT.
Where did you find these average stats? 502 seems a little low. I could be completely wrong and just falling under the SDN spell, but I'm curious.

Edit: Found these numbers on the AACOMAS website

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If you upward trend is really good (as in, let's say you failed either your first or second year, but really improved your 3rd or 4th year), then as long as you can maintain your GPA and score well on the MCAT, I would say that you can give yourself a decent shot to get into med school! Also, make sure that you have a well-rounded application that is unique to you and good LORs - a well-rounded application goes a long way in getting admissions to interviews too!