My Chances to get accepted to US medical Schools, Please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tamoores

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian graduated student from Biology program. I would deeply appreciate if you guys could share your thoughts and ideas about my situation.

My CGPA is 3.0. However not only my last year GPA is a 4.0 but also I managed to complete a Thesis Project, that undergraduate students usually tend to avoid.

I have a year of volunteering at a hospital, and I will write my MCAT in the begining of September...

I was wondering whether there are any American schools out there or any other alternatives that I could apply to and hope to be accepted in order to accomplish my goal of becoming a doctor.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

With that cgpa as an international student, unfortunately it's very likely that no school will give you a chance.

From my extensive research into med school apps, it is my understanding that international students just have it tougher than the rest.

So in order to beat the added factors (no Aid, limited schools accept Int'l students, etc), one has to have higher than average grades to get a serious look.

GPA, MCAT scores and EC's along with LOR's need to quite good, if not brilliant to even confidently say that medical schools will give you a chance at an interview.

Its not about putting anyone down, but there is a demand, and not enough places for all the good students, so in order to be successful, getting the controllable factors (GPA, MCAT, EC and to a certain degree LOR's) out of the way (and near perfect) would ensure you the best possible chance.

So my suggestion for you would be to complete a masters in a field that would be demanding but of interest to you. All the while getting more research and volunteer time under your belt :) and of course ace the MCAT! Good luck and nothing is truly impossible. Have faith and work hard!

Members don't see this ad :)
From my extensive research into med school apps, it is my understanding that international students just have it tougher than the rest.

So in order to beat the added factors (no Aid, limited schools accept Int'l students, etc), one has to have higher than average grades to get a serious look.

GPA, MCAT scores and EC's along with LOR's need to quite good, if not brilliant to even confidently say that medical schools will give you a chance at an interview.

Its not about putting anyone down, but there is a demand, and not enough places for all the good students, so in order to be successful, getting the controllable factors (GPA, MCAT, EC and to a certain degree LOR's) out of the way (and near perfect) would ensure you the best possible chance.

So my suggestion for you would be to complete a masters in a field that would be demanding but of interest to you. All the while getting more research and volunteer time under your belt :) and of course ace the MCAT! Good luck and nothing is truly impossible. Have faith and work hard!

I agree with all of this except the Master's Program because even a 4.0 in a Master's program leaves OP with a 3.0 undergraduate gpa and at the end of the day, undergraduate gpa is the most important thing.