My Chances of Acceptance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinned

slaving in dental school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, my file has been complete with all of the schools for about a week now...while other people hear almost immediately, I haven't heard anything from any of the 10 schools that I am applying to...now I am getting kind of worried, and it is for a good reason that my gpa is kind of low, but also I am not a traditional applicant, I am a non-traditional (post-bac) applicant...what are my chances?

BCP GPA: 3.23
SCI GPA:3.16
NON-SCI GPA: 2.76
TOTAL GPA: 2.93
Post-Bac SCI GPA: 3.71

DAT: 21/20/19

Applied: UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, UMDNJ, SUNY SB, COLUMBIA, NYU, TUFTS, ARIZONA

Am I not getting interviews right away, due to my low gpa's? Do you think they deferred my application for second round interviews? Why is it that some people get interviews right away and I haven't received any?
Another thing to note is that I have had family hardships which I explained in my application and personal statement...

:scared: Den

Members don't see this ad.

sinned said:
Okay, my file has been complete with all of the schools for about a week now...while other people hear almost immediately, I haven't heard anything from any of the 10 schools that I am applying to...now I am getting kind of worried, and it is for a good reason that my gpa is kind of low, but also I am not a traditional applicant, I am a non-traditional (post-bac) applicant...what are my chances?

BCP GPA: 3.23
SCI GPA:3.16
NON-SCI GPA: 2.76
TOTAL GPA: 2.93
Post-Bac SCI GPA: 3.71

DAT: 21/20/19

Applied: UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, UMDNJ, SUNY SB, COLUMBIA, NYU, TUFTS, ARIZONA

Am I not getting interviews right away, due to my low gpa's? Do you think they deferred my application for second round interviews? Why is it that some people get interviews right away and I haven't received any?
Another thing to note is that I have had family hardships which I explained in my application and personal statement...

:scared: Den

You've got great scores on the DAT, and I don't see you having any kind issues with interviews. I think they (admissions) might have bumped you down a couple of spots because you are a post-bac, so it might take some more time before you'll hear from anyone. Be patient and relax.

RxTech

yea I really should be more patient, but seeing as everyone else is getting interviews in the other thread makes me nervous...

Members don't see this ad :)
sinned said:
yea I really should be more patient, but seeing as everyone else is getting interviews in the other thread makes me nervous...

Don't, as long as your stats are in good shape and you applied in a reasonable timely matter, you shouldn't be stressed out much. Those letters will come :)

thanks for reassuring me, but I just dont want the last year and a half of my post-bac career to go to waste...

You're alright! Even though your file has been complete for a week, keep in mind that there are hundreds of others before and behind you. It will take those schools some time to get through everything. Furthermore, some schools are just slow with their admissions process - hang in there! You'll get some interviews! :thumbup:

Thanks guys...

Jadacavity you got alot of interviews already, so you probably dont feel my sentiments, but after your file was complete, how long did it take you to start getting your interviews? And how did they generally send out the interview invitations?

Sprgrover, thanks again, your alway so helpful and show genuine concern...

Sinned, when did you submit?

I submitted on July 21st, and all of my letters, secondary fee, application, and transcripts have been completely received by the dental schools about week or so ago...

sinned said:
Thanks guys...

Jadacavity you got alot of interviews already, so you probably dont feel my sentiments, but after your file was complete, how long did it take you to start getting your interviews? And how did they generally send out the interview invitations?

Sprgrover, thanks again, your alway so helpful and show genuine concern...

Sinned,

Admissions to dental school is a tough road, and I think anybody that is willing to give it a try is outstanding. With that being said, all you really have to do is be patient. In my opinion, one week isn't enough time at this point in the cycle for schools to process your application to the point where they can make a decision. I applied on May 18. Aside from Case, my first communications with schools didn't start until mid-July. Furthermore, it wasn't until August that most schools started extending interviews. So, all told, it took about 3 months for schools to get back to me. But, remember that I applied early, and most schools didn't even start looking at applications until August. You are applying mid-cycle. There are thousands of applicants before you and there will thousands after you. I think, realistically, I'd give the schools 4 to 6 weeks to contact you before I started gettin too nervous. I'd also suggest calling the schools and asking them where your application is at in the process.

Hope that helps.

Sprgrover said:
You're alright! Even though your file has been complete for a week, keep in mind that there are hundreds of others before and behind you. It will take those schools some time to get through everything. Furthermore, some schools are just slow with their admissions process - hang in there! You'll get some interviews! :thumbup:

Bingo. I know that at Arizona, we've had around 900 applications already. It takes a while to plow through those. Your app being "complete" typically means that it is ready to be evaulated, not that it has been evaluated.

Hang in there and you'll get lots of good news!

phew! Thanks for the reassurance guys...the interview thread got me all nervous, it just seems like I am falling behind real fast, when I need to be in the early pack because of my gpa...

Members don't see this ad :)
RxTech said:
I think they (admissions) might have bumped you down a couple of spots because you are a post-bac, so it might take some more time before you'll hear from anyone. Be patient and relax.

RxTech
Why is it bad to be a post-bac?

JavadiCavity said:
I'm a post-bac and I have 7 interviews so far. I think being a post-bac can be extremely favorable.

Can you list your stats including your undergraduate gpa please, thats very impressive!

sinned said:
Jadavicavity, very impressive stats...no wonder you got so many interviews, one suggestion, can you not apply to so many schools with that kind of stats? Doesn't give us nail-biters a chance for a possible interivew... :rolleyes: :)

Sorry! I applied before I took the DAT. Anyway, I'm not interviewing at every place. I've limited myself to six or seven of the schools.

thanks for thinking of others as well :)

Thanks everybody!!!

I just got invited to UMDNJ interview!!!

Well by the time I needed to take the DAT's I studied enough to say I didn't want to study anymore and went over the Kaplan book cover to cover multiple times and could blurt out facts at the drop of a hat...so you really do have to be comfortable about the materials in order to do better than average...

seansk said:
total gpa is 2.90
science gpa 2.66

taking the dats end of the month.(october)

what do I have to get on the dat's to have a chance in getting into any dental school, don't care which one. I have applied to 35. lol is that bad?

BTW how hard are the dats for people who have taken them. I have been studying for 3 months now. but there is just way to much.. do i have to know all gchem stuff...one fo my friends who was studying for 6 months just took his dats again and got a 18 WTF?? my other friend who was scoreing 20's and 21's just got a 25 on bio 25 ochem 23 chem, 20 qr, 19 pa, and 19 rc. what the hell is going on? he studied way less than my friend who got the 18 and was studying for 6 months? I have heard there are 4 different versions of the test one of them is really easy.

any thoughts?? i'm scared.

will i even get in?
my friends say i should be okay if I get over 20 and above is that right HEELP!!!

hey buddy, Don't panic! The DAT is a timed test and some people can just click (and think) faster than other's. Take it early if you are worried so you will get a feel for what to expect. Practice test's are helpful.

seansk said:
total gpa is 2.90
science gpa 2.66

taking the dats end of the month.(october)

what do I have to get on the dat's to have a chance in getting into any dental school, don't care which one. I have applied to 35. lol is that bad?

BTW how hard are the dats for people who have taken them. I have been studying for 3 months now. but there is just way to much.. do i have to know all gchem stuff...one fo my friends who was studying for 6 months just took his dats again and got a 18 WTF?? my other friend who was scoreing 20's and 21's just got a 25 on bio 25 ochem 23 chem, 20 qr, 19 pa, and 19 rc. what the hell is going on? he studied way less than my friend who got the 18 and was studying for 6 months? I have heard there are 4 different versions of the test one of them is really easy.

any thoughts?? i'm scared.

will i even get in?
my friends say i should be okay if I get over 20 and above is that right HEELP!!!

Seansk:

Last cycle, a fellow SDNer (perfect3435) got accepted with similar stats:

Cumulative GPA: 2.96
Science GPA: 2.90
DAT: AA19, SCI 21, PAT 18, QR 17, RC 15 , BIO 21, GCHEM 19, OCHEM 25
Schools Applied: 36 schools
Interview Invites: INDIANA, UConn, Meharry,UCSF
Waitlisted: UCONN, IUSD, Creighton
Accepted: IUSD, Meharry

If you are scared, he would probably be the best person to speak to. PM him, I'm sure he will be happy to speak with you. :luck: