My chances for med-peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew0809

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in med-peds, but I know it's getting progressively more competitive and I'm not sure if I'll be a stand-out candidate. I was just wondering if anyone can provide some insight into my chances.

I'm currently a 3rd year osteopathic student with a 3.70 GPA and 233 on USMLE step 1. I'm looking to stay in Chicago, but I realize this would be hard to do. I've gotten all A's on my clinical rotations so far and hopefully have some decent letters of rec. I have a strong interest in Med-Peds, a variety of international medical experiences, and a desire to work internationally in the future and feel that med-peds would best prepare me for this. I don't have any research or publications. What do you think? Should I remain hopeful or start considering my other options?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in med-peds, but I know it's getting progressively more competitive and I'm not sure if I'll be a stand-out candidate. I was just wondering if anyone can provide some insight into my chances.

I'm currently a 3rd year osteopathic student with a 3.70 GPA and 233 on USMLE step 1. I'm looking to stay in Chicago, but I realize this would be hard to do. I've gotten all A's on my clinical rotations so far and hopefully have some decent letters of rec. I have a strong interest in Med-Peds, a variety of international medical experiences, and a desire to work internationally in the future and feel that med-peds would best prepare me for this. I don't have any research or publications. What do you think? Should I remain hopeful or start considering my other options?

Thanks

With good preclinical performances, good USMLE scores, and good clinical rotations - I think you are in good shape for most med-peds program. You might have trouble at top tier programs (Duke, Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago), but many university programs will definately give you a good look (unless there are red flags in your application)

Chicago has many good Med-Peds program (if you want to stay in the area) and the midwest and east coast have plenty of med-peds programs.

Start working on getting good LORs - some programs will require letters from the chairman of Pediatrics, and some require letters from the chairman of IM.

Good luck.

With good preclinical performances, good USMLE scores, and good clinical rotations - I think you are in good shape for most med-peds program. You might have trouble at top tier programs (Duke, Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago), but many university programs will definately give you a good look (unless there are red flags in your application)

Chicago has many good Med-Peds program (if you want to stay in the area) and the midwest and east coast have plenty of med-peds programs.

Start working on getting good LORs - some programs will require letters from the chairman of Pediatrics, and some require letters from the chairman of IM.

Good luck.

As a DO, with similar scores I got an invite from Loyola in the Chicagoland area. I think UIC is also pretty DO friendly. The others, not so much. Frankly though the midwest is a very DO friendly area for med-peds programs.

How difficulty is it to get positions at Duke/Harvard/Yale/UPenn type programs?

I'm an MD/PhD with a good board score, haven't done many rotations yet (the only clerkship so far I got an honors in), but I feel like I have no extracurriculuars.

What are these programs looking for? What kind of balance of medicine vs. pediatrics electives would I need to take to show my interest?