My advice to pre-pharmers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a lot less stressed than the times I worked as a store clerk.

R you talking about pharm tech vs store clerk in the same store?

Members don't see this ad.

So your friend who didn't go to college married a guy who made good money? And how do you relate this to your argument? you said that she didn't go to college and now she has a better life, but that doesn't say much because if she DIDN'T marry her husband, would she be in the same position (going on vacations, etc etc) while working at her parents' restaurant?

It's like saying "Just marry a rich guy and you'll be fine" but that doesn't work with your particular argument that college doesn't equate to better life. That's basically saying that "because you didn't go to college you should marry someone who makes good money".

Back on topic, I think what you are trying to say is that going to college/graduate school/professional school doesn't necessarily means you will have a better or easier life. If you do what you love (like your friend working at her parents' business) you will have the better life, in my opinion. Going to school for purely monetary reasons is no way to go.

On the side note, I'm sorry about you making the decision and regretting it. Perhaps there will be an opportunity in the future that will make it all better somehow. Also, even though I'm younger than you, I do not think 29 is old at all (so don't be so negative!! ;) )

LOL...the point has nothing to do with marrying rich. She told me before that she is dependent on her family, NOT her husband. Her family has two pretty successful restaurants so she doesn't really have to depend on a guy.

What I have in BOLD is what I mean to say...do what you really love. I wish I did what I really love. I don't know what I really LOVE, but I think I would much rather be a news anchor, weather girl, flight attendent, ballet dancer, physical fitness trainer, fashion designer, etc. than a pharmacist. I went into pharmacy b/c I am good at math and science and I thought the profession had a good job outlook...but unfortunately I am WRONG.

I feel that I wasted my youth in school! lol...I will NEVER be able to be in my early 20s again. All that time spent in school I could actually be doing something that I really love doing. I don't hate school, it is okay (boring at times, but okay). It's just not something I really love doing.

Lastly, I think pharmacy is a okay profession, quite stressful at times but overall it's an okay profession (nothing great like a celebrity or anything!:laugh:) so I feel that the EFFORT required to finish the school, the time spent in school (8 years for me), and the MONEY spent finishing the school etc. IS WAAAAAAY more than what the actual career is worth. It's a so-so career, but I sure as hell put a lot of effort into getting it...and NOW, I might not even get a job b/c of this job market. That is all that I am saying. My friend is just an example that I was using. My family also know some business owners and restaurant owners that makes good money and never went to college...I just don't have the time to LIST every single example of high school graduates that live a good life...so I just listed my best friend.

I agree college does not guarantee a job. Nothing in life is a guarantee. If you (general you) didn't know that, you're a damn idiot.

I am an idiot b/c I use to think dental school, med school and pharm school = guarantee job. I use to think it is okay to take out 100K to go to these schools b/c it was a guarantee job in the future. I am wrong and still learning.

I think it was partly b/c I was raise by parents that value education more than anything on earth. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
What I have in BOLD is what I mean to say...do what you really love. I wish I did what I really love. I don't know what I really LOVE, but I think I would much rather be a news anchor, weather girl, flight attendent, ballet dancer, physical fitness trainer, fashion designer, etc. than a pharmacist. I went into pharmacy b/c I am good at math and science and I thought the profession had a good job outlook...but unfortunately I am WRONG.

I feel that I wasted my youth in school! lol...I will NEVER be able to be in my early 20s again. All that time spent in school I could actually be doing something that I really love doing. I don't hate school, it is okay (boring at times, but okay). It's just not something I really love doing.
We should swap lives. I did lots of fun stuff in my early 20s! Eventually I wizened up and realized that none of my "fun" jobs paid a living wage (like, over 20k/year with health insurance), and I couldn't live like that forever. :) I wish I'd buckled down earlier.

Then again, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

R you talking about pharm tech vs store clerk in the same store?

Does that matter? You said one of the most stressful implying that it should be more stressful than a clerk job.

We should swap lives. I did lots of fun stuff in my early 20s! Eventually I wizened up and realized that none of my "fun" jobs paid a living wage (like, over 20k/year with health insurance), and I couldn't live like that forever. :) I wish I'd buckled down earlier.

Then again, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

hmmm....MAYBE! :laugh: My life has been pretty boring so far though. My life has consist of nothing but school the ENTIRE time. High school, college, dental school and now pharmacy school. I never really did much else! It's not a bad life...it just lacks fun and excitement and sometimes very tiring. :rolleyes: R you sure you want that? lol...

I look on facebook all the time and see people post pictures of their vacation, some of the people on there post pictures of their clothing store, some post pictures of themselves from modeling (some of them actually been in some magazines), some post pictures of their kids, some post pictures of their art work, some post pictures of their house and family etc. I kinda want those things in my life! Those things sound exciting. Going thru 8+ years of schooling and studying for exams does NOT!

Does that matter? You said one of the most stressful implying that it should be more stressful than a clerk job.

I would think that it would be more stressful than a clerk job. Clerk do not have to deal with pharmacy insurance rejections, people piss that you didn't fill their script in 5 minutes, drive thru and phones ringing off the hook.

I would think that it would be more stressful than a clerk job. Clerk do not have to deal with pharmacy insurance rejections, people piss that you didn't fill their script in 5 minutes, drive thru and phones ringing off the hook.

I don't think you have any idea what clerks really do.

Insurance rejections? Easy.

People pissed off? Goes away in few minutes.
People pissed off all day? It's all gone when you're heading home.

Phones ringing? Easy. Just pick up the phone and see what they want.

Just because you try to take on more tasks than you can handle does not mean that it has to be stressful and difficult to everyone.

It's not like you fill 800 prescriptions all by yourself. You have people to help you and you can ask them questions.

Drive thru? Just see what they want and keep them informed about what you're doing and tell them what to expect. If you don't tell them anything, of course they'll be pissed off.

If you had stress as any kind of clerk, you were doing it wrong. Have you never seen Clerks? :laugh:

But seriously, no job is more stressful than you make it, IMO. Stress is allowing outside factors to influence you. Phone ringing off the hook, 3 cars in drive thru, 5 customers at drop off and pick up each? It's called job security. I always try to have fun at work, and I often succeed. It's at least 90% attitude.

If you had stress as any kind of clerk, you were doing it wrong. Have you never seen Clerks? :laugh:

But seriously, no job is more stressful than you make it, IMO. Stress is allowing outside factors to influence you. Phone ringing off the hook, 3 cars in drive thru, 5 customers at drop off and pick up each? It's called job security. I always try to have fun at work, and I often succeed. It's at least 90% attitude.

I'm less stressed as an intern. I've dealt with phone calls before and it's not as bad as the time I was a store clerk.

If I went into work every day with complaints and decided to whine to all of my coworkers and criticize them for everything they do, I would hate it, and they would hate it too.

I know some people who would do anything to show that they were in a bad mood when they go to work. I guess they let everything bother them. Sometimes I think "I've had days that were worse and I didn't show up to work looking all depressed. I wonder if their situation is much worse than that." And trust me, if I let it bother me for more than a day, I probably need to get help.

LOL...the point has nothing to do with marrying rich. She told me before that she is dependent on her family, NOT her husband. Her family has two pretty successful restaurants so she doesn't really have to depend on a guy.

Lastly, I think pharmacy is a okay profession, quite stressful at times but overall it's an okay profession (nothing great like a celebrity or anything!:laugh:) so I feel that the EFFORT required to finish the school, the time spent in school (8 years for me), and the MONEY spent finishing the school etc. IS WAAAAAAY more than what the actual career is worth. It's a so-so career, but I sure as hell put a lot of effort into getting it...and NOW, I might not even get a job b/c of this job market. That is all that I am saying. My friend is just an example that I was using. My family also know some business owners and restaurant owners that makes good money and never went to college...I just don't have the time to LIST every single example of high school graduates that live a good life...so I just listed my best friend.

Ok, but you could have just said that your friend's family had business, but instead you mentioned her husband who made 140K a year. So that, to me, implied that your friend (no disrespect) was depending on her husband. Owning restaurants/business is a gamble, you can win or lose, fortunately it seems your friend's family is doing well. That's good. :) But think about this: what about those who do lose? A lot of people think college will make their lives easier (our parents think so too!) AND that is part of it.

College CAN make your life easier/better, but going to college DOESN'T MEAN your life WILL be better.

I'm less stressed as an intern. I've dealt with phone calls before and it's not as bad as the time I was a store clerk.

If I went into work every day with complaints and decided to whine to all of my coworkers and criticize them for everything they do, I would hate it, and they would hate it too.

I know some people who would do anything to show that they were in a bad mood when they go to work. I guess they let everything bother them. Sometimes I think "I've had days that were worse and I didn't show up to work looking all depressed. I wonder if their situation is much worse than that." And trust me, if I let it bother me for more than a day, I probably need to get help.

My post was mostly humourous, but I am curious what you used to do that was so stressful?

I agree about that. Some people love to complain.

I am an idiot b/c I use to think dental school, med school and pharm school = guarantee job. I use to think it is okay to take out 100K to go to these schools b/c it was a guarantee job in the future. I am wrong and still learning.

I think it was partly b/c I was raise by parents that value education more than anything on earth. :laugh:

Wow! You have been studying so long! What happened in dental school? Why pharmacy? (I ask because I was pre-dental once :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like my mother. She has always pressure me to do very well in school and had me believe all my life that going to college will mean I will be successful when I get out, debt does not matter. I always believe her, until now...I don't think it's true. People go to graduate school b/c 1) their interest and/or 2) they think it is guarantee money.

Reason 1) is good. Reason 2) is very bad b/c it's just not true.

Because of how I was raised, I have always done perfectly in school and I still have perfect grades. I was taught to value education and grades etc. I use to think high school grads that didn't go to college must all be losers with no lifes etc. I use to think that my college education and going to grad school will mean that my life will somehow be MUCH better. Well, now that I am much older and looking backing/thinking and comparing myself to my friend. I really do not think so.

My best friend from high school and I still keep in contact. She did NOT go to college. Her family own two Japanese restaurants and she worked there as a manager since high school. She has dated a guy since senior year of high school, they dated for 7 years and now she is married to him for a year. She is pregnant now and will have her first daugther in June. Her husband is a patent examiner, he makes good money. I would say around 140K a year. He treats her like a queen though. She works at her parent's restaurant 30 to 40 hrs a week. She has many friends and is always going out to parties with them etc. Her husband takes her out on vacations. They live in a 400K house, they both drive very nice NEW cars. She goes shopping pretty often, I use to go with her when I lived in my hometown. She is working by choice, her husband told her she doesn't have to work if she does not want to. I don't think they are extremely wealthy or anything, but OVERALL, I think her life is GREAT. Does the fact that she didn't go to college and pharmacy school make her life any worst than MINE? HELL NO! :laugh: In fact I would argue her life is much better than mine. I have been in school my entire life. Yes, I have good grades, I did many great research projects, I know my chemistry and math very well etc. but how does that make my life better? I am broke, I drive a 7 year old car, I don't own a home, I have no husband, no kids etc. I am getting older and I still haven't started my life yet. I don't get to relax most of the time when I am in school. I don't think my life is bad, but it is certainly boring and tiring at times! :rolleyes: So again, someone PLEASE TELL ME how my life just b/c I went to college and pharmacy school is SUPERIOR to my friend's???? Everytime I think back about all the dates that I turn down, all the parties I didn't go to, all the vacations I missed out, all the weekends I don't get to relax b/c I have an exam to study for (trust me second year of pharmacy school ain't easy!), all the friends I didn't get to hangout with, all the friends I couldn't have made, all the time I wasted when I could have started a family and LIFE...ALL THAT is gone b/c I was in school that entire time. Now, I am old...when I graduate I will be almost 29 yo. I might never be able to have any children b/c I am so damn old. :rolleyes: I will be over 30 when I can finally start my life, while my friend who is only 1 year older than me HAD HER ENTIRE YOUTH to start her life. She is still enjoying her life, while I am studying my ass off for exams.

So again, someone tell me HOW did me going to college and pharmacy school help me improve my life? I really want to know. Right now I have nothing.

Unlike the OP, (some of his comments I do not agree with), I am not on here to tell people to stay away from pharmacy school. In fact I think I have already mention SEVERAL times that if you truely enjoy pharmacy and LOVE IT more than anything in the world, and you are young and able to get into a public school to come out with little debt. I say GO FOR IT!!! If you LOVE pharmacy GO FOR IT! I am not here to tell you to not do what you LOVE to do. I am just saying...please do not be foolish like me and think that college/pharmacy school OR any school for that manner is suppose to improve your life OR help you become rich or anything like that. B/c it won't!

I don't think college is bad, it's a gamble like opening a new restaurant, opening a new business, buying stocks, gambling, playing the lottery, etc. it's all a gamble. You might get lucky, you might not. The attitude of people think college=success and money is just not true. It's like me saying opening a restaurant=success and money, again...it COULD but it also could NOT. That is all that I am saying.

If only I could have KNOWN all this when I was 18 years old I would have gone a totally different route. I don't know what I love to do, but I never had a chance to explore it either. I would give ANYTHING in the world to go back in time and be young again. I want a do over!

It scares me someone who thinks those who don't go to college are worthless and have no life is so desperately trying to go into the health professions (dental, now pharm). I'm sorry your parents fooled you into thinking education equals guarenteed success. Also, scares me you think you're friend is just as well off because she married a man with money. I would have been more shocked if you said she was just as well off because she was extremely happy with her career, marriage and where she is in life. Instead it's all about NEW cars and how much her house costs, what a joke!:laugh: You need a reality check and if they closest reality check you've gotten was realizing it may have been better to mary rich instead of focusing on your education, that is SCARY!

It scares me someone who thinks those who don't go to college are worthless and have no life is so desperately trying to go into the health professions (dental, now pharm). I'm sorry your parents fooled you into thinking education equals guarenteed success. Also, scares me you think you're friend is just as well off because she married a man with money. I would have been more shocked if you said she was just as well off because she was extremely happy with her career, marriage and where she is in life. Instead it's all about NEW cars and how much her house costs, what a joke!:laugh: You need a reality check and if they closest reality check you've gotten was realizing it may have been better to mary rich instead of focusing on your education, that is SCARY!

The post have NOTHING to do with her marrying rich. She isn't even that rich. That was just an example of me saying that people without college degrees also have good lifes and college doesn't guarantee anything. I just listed everything I know about her.

I say I USED to think people without college degrees would not have a good life, but I was WRONG. Some do! The point is just to tell pre-pharms to do want you really want to do and not just go into pharmacy b/c you think it will guarantee you anything b/c it won't!

The post have NOTHING to do with her marrying rich. She isn't even that rich. That was just an example of me saying that people without college degrees also have good lifes and college doesn't guarantee anything. I just listed everything I know about her.

I say I USED to think people without college degrees would not have a good life, but I was WRONG. Some do! The point is just to tell pre-pharms to do want you really want to do and not just go into pharmacy b/c you think it will guarantee you anything b/c it won't!

I don't think pre-pharmacy students expect a job contract to be waiting for them when they graduate from pharmacy school.

Wow! You have been studying so long! What happened in dental school? Why pharmacy? (I ask because I was pre-dental once :p)

I have been studying for soooooooooo long! My entire YOUTH is GONE now! :( That's why I am on here telling people how BORING IT IS! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I am not on here to tell people to aviod pharmacy. I am just on here to tell people...r you sure you really want that? School for 8 years after high school is pretty damn tiring! If I sounded like I was trying to stop you from pharmacy school I apologize b/c I wasn't!

I was in dental school originally b/c 1) family pressure. 2) dentist have a reputation of making a lot of money while working 3 days a week. 3) I thought it was easy money. (Stupid I know!) Again that is why I am here to warn people. Going to college b/c you think it is easy money is dumb b/c I made the same mistake. I quit dental school b/c I really just didn't like physical patient contact and I don't like blood or saliva. Overall, I hated the job and I know I would hate being a dentist so I quit. I pick pharmacy b/c I thought it would be a secure profession (that's up for debate now! I might not even get a job!) and secondly pharmacy is a clean profession. I don't have to deal with blood or guts or bad breath etc. Lastly, I don't hate pharmacy. I think it is okay as a career. I hate the job market but not the job. I did very well on the MCAT and could have gone to medical school if I wanted to but I really just don't like being that close to patients. LOL...I think I should have gone into broadcasting instead or maybe pharm sales rep I don't know.

Dentistry does make very good money. If you like the job, I would recommend it! Again if you LOVE the job, I always recommend it, just don't do it for the money. You will hate it I guarantee that.

Ok, but you could have just said that your friend's family had business, but instead you mentioned her husband who made 140K a year. So that, to me, implied that your friend (no disrespect) was depending on her husband. Owning restaurants/business is a gamble, you can win or lose, fortunately it seems your friend's family is doing well. That's good. :) But think about this: what about those who do lose? A lot of people think college will make their lives easier (our parents think so too!) AND that is part of it.

College CAN make your life easier/better, but going to college DOESN'T MEAN your life WILL be better.

I am sorry that I mention her husband's salary. I was just typing very fast and stating everything I knew about her currently. She isn't overly wealthy but her family is comfortable. My point wasn't high school grads are super rich. My point is happiness and SUCCESS in life has nothing to do with schooling. I was just using her as an example.

It really isn't about the people! When I see a million people waiting ON ME to do something. I automatically work much faster to try to get them all out of here ASAP. When I work faster I tend to make more errors which stresses me out. I can't help it but to work extra fast when I see a lot of people WAITING on me. I always try to get people out asap. I think that is the most stressful part. I can't work super fast without making errors and seeing a lot of people forces me to work super fast. I don't know how to explain it. It's hard to explain.

It really isn't about the people! When I see a million people waiting ON ME to do something. I automatically work much faster to try to get them all out of here ASAP. When I work faster I tend to make more errors which stresses me out. I can't help it but to work extra fast when I see a lot of people WAITING on me. I always try to get people out asap. I think that is the most stressful part. I can't work super fast without making errors and seeing a lot of people forces me to work super fast. I don't know how to explain it. It's hard to explain.

That goes away with experience.

I guess it's unfortunate that you realize that after you've been through a lot. And yes, it's about your happiness, but thinking about it more. Pharmacists can live a comfortable living. As someone on this forum said, there are jobs out there, you just cannot be picky. Like say you want to find a job within an hour away from your house, good pay, etc etc it's just not going to cut it. I'm sure you know about it than I do since your a pharmacy student.

If you hurry and fill a script in 5 minutes, then see an error and spend 5 minutes fixing it, you've spent 10 minutes on it.

You could have just taken your time and gotten it out the first time error-free in 10 minutes.

I think you have to learn to feel comfortable around lots of people and get used to the line of people waiting because that will happen anywhere and everywhere.

Hey I wanna be someone's sugardaddy now that I'm done with pharm school LOL ;)

I'm a young, hot, soon-to-be pharmacist with minimal student loans. I would make a great sugar daddy. Anyone wanna get married? I could use the tax break! LOL

I'm a young, hot, soon-to-be pharmacist with minimal student loans. I would make a great sugar daddy. Anyone wanna get married? I could use the tax break! LOL

Well you won't qualify for SHC b/c pharmacists don't count as sugar daddies (Must be minimum $250k+ annually to count).

Well you won't qualify for SHC b/c pharmacists don't count as sugar daddies (Must be minimum $250k+ annually to count).

I was thinking SHC too :laugh:

Maybe Somatic could take over an independent.

Damn I went into pharmacy because I thought it would make me rich and I could easily be a sugar daddy. Pharmacy schools lie! :mad:

I am starting to wish I made 250k+ per year :(

I am starting to wish I made 250k+ per year :(

And then if you made 250K, you're gonna wish you made 1,000,000 per year. Then when you make 1 million, you're gonna wish for more. It never ends.

And then if you made 250K, you're gonna wish you made 1,000,000 per year. Then when you make 1 million, you're gonna wish for more. It never ends.

I just wanna get marriaged, then my life will be complete :D Just need to make enough money to afford a hottie ;) Hopefully 120 k/yr is enough :p

I admit that I have a crush on SHC1984 :oops: She seems so perfect in every way :love:

I just wanna get marriaged, then my life will be complete :D Just need to make enough money to afford a hottie ;) Hopefully 120 k/yr is enough :p

No amount is ever enough. ;)

R you telling me that you are leaving your job to go to pharmacy b/c you think it is less stressful???? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pharmacy is most likely 100000X more stressful than your current job!

I love how people like to leave their jobs b/c they think this other job is magically much better b/c it has no stress.

Someone once told me they wanted to quit their job as a teacher to become a pharmacy tech! they told me teaching is too stressful! Again, pharmacy tech would be about a million times more stressful than teaching!

What are people thinking???

Do you really think pharmacy isn't stressful? it's one of the most stressful jobs actually.

"unfortunately very stressful"

You tunnel visioned onto three of my words.....but regardless I appreciate your response. And here's my own.

I have a few types of stress surrounding my current career so allow me to inform you.

(1) Traveling. I have been away from home for ~21 days a month for the past 6 months due to a single project transfer. I would like to see this as temporary, but there are additional projects I am involved in which are rapidly moving into the development stage. I wish I got paid more for traveling, but unfortunately I am ball and chained to a salary. At least with pharmacy, I shouldn't have to be away from home due to extensive traveling.

(2) Instability of R and D. Groups come and go when projects are funded or yield poor results. It's riskier with start up companies, but I am not immune from a layoff even at a Fortune 500 powerhouse. Even my current team was looking for other jobs before they received funding for the project I was hired for. I am not saying that pharmacy is instant job opportunities, and according to some SDNers - it's quite the opposite, but I wouldn't mind finding a job that could lead to a more financially stable career (especially in a field that is most interesting/desirable to me).

(3) Research. It is quite energizing to be part of the latest technology in biomedical science. In fact, what I am working on today won't even reach the market for another 2-5 years. However, as an innovation engineer, I am pressured for ideas, patents, prototypes, data, results, and expected to work overtime each week. I have sat in on planning meetings with VP's, directors, managers, (as well as meeting with my own) and I'll be honest, I don't want their jobs. The pay is extremely nice, but what they deal with...I'll let them deal with it. I do not believe the grass is greener on the other side, but maybe I haven't been watering my side for awhile.

I have been dealing with my own chronic illness for 10 years. I have been off and on a combination of NSAIDs, DMARDs, and biologics. I have been in close communication with my doctor and pharmacist, since my diagnosis, and it's always been a goal of mine to truly help those like myself. It wasn't until I began working on new drug delivery systems that I felt sure I needed to go into pharmacy (instead of pharmacology). I realize that I want to be in direct contact of patients instead of further downstream, such as in a laboratory. I want to personally help and be an expert in the field, not just a patient.

And yes, I may be naive about the stress of a pharmacist, but maybe I'll be saving the world - at least the part that matters to me.

Last edited:
LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What an A.W.E.S.O.M.E. way to start the morning. And I agree with A4D, high maintenance women are a no go no matter how hot/sexy or how good the sex is/could be... I speak from experience.

fadaab214d4938016d546a821de8d601_pyzamGoldDigger.jpg