Must read Psychology books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Three books that every student should read before deciding to go grad school in psychology:

On Being a Therapist, by Jeffrey Kottler. Terrifically honest book about the rewards and pitfalls of pursuing a career as a therapist. I especially appreciate the author's honesty about the tensions and contradictions we are asked to live with, such as the competing demands to "be authentic" and "be professional."

House of Cards, by Robyn Dawes. Dawes, a social psychologists, eviscerates the field of clinical psychology, arguing that our degrees and licensure signify very little of real value. While he acknowledges that there are some therapists who truly value evidence-based therapies, he rips psychology for embracing pseudoscientific treatments and for falsely claiming expertise where it has none to offer. I read this book expecting to have plenty of answers to his arguments, and I came away feeling grudgingly won over.

Eleven Blunders that Cripple Psychotherapy in America, by Nicholas Cummings and William O'Donohue. This is a must-read for any student or psychologist who someday hopes to make a living as a psychologist. The authors document the failures of leadership in the APA that led to our current situation of declining salaries and professional stature. They do a great job of placing psychology in the context of the entire healthcare system, and they attempt to explain why we are the lowest paid of doctoral professions. While I don't agree with everything the authors have to say, I found their perspectives on the economics of mental health care to be eye-opening. Again, I wish I had known this stuff before deciding to be a psychologist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for books that would be useful to read before going into masters in clinical child psych. I was thinking of going over my undergraduate textbooks to prepare but I would much rather read some new books that effectively reviews basic developmental literature/research I should be familiar with.

Thanks!

Handbook of Cognition Johan Wagemans, Felix A. Wichmann, and Hans Op de Beek. Sage Publications, 2005.

The Sage Handbook of Health Psychology, 2004. Stephen Sutton, Andrew Baum, and Marie Johnson.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone recommend a book that details the "basics" of different career tracks in psych for someone who is interested in a career in psych but isn't sure of all the details (ie: the differences between phd/psy.d programs, differences in specializations, funding options for different programs)? Basically, a book of basics that are discussed here? I'm sure there are plenty, but wondering if anyone could recommend a particularly good one. Thanks!

Has anyone read Critical Thinking About Research: Psychology and Related Fields by Julian Meltzoff? I saw it on the APA best sellers list and am wondering if it would be a useful read for an undergrad in 3rd year. Thanks!

Three books that every student should read before deciding to go grad school in psychology:

On Being a Therapist, by Jeffrey Kottler. Terrifically honest book about the rewards and pitfalls of pursuing a career as a therapist. I especially appreciate the author's honesty about the tensions and contradictions we are asked to live with, such as the competing demands to "be authentic" and "be professional."

House of Cards, by Robyn Dawes. Dawes, a social psychologists, eviscerates the field of clinical psychology, arguing that our degrees and licensure signify very little of real value. While he acknowledges that there are some therapists who truly value evidence-based therapies, he rips psychology for embracing pseudoscientific treatments and for falsely claiming expertise where it has none to offer. I read this book expecting to have plenty of answers to his arguments, and I came away feeling grudgingly won over.

Eleven Blunders that Cripple Psychotherapy in America, by Nicholas Cummings and William O'Donohue. This is a must-read for any student or psychologist who someday hopes to make a living as a psychologist. The authors document the failures of leadership in the APA that led to our current situation of declining salaries and professional stature. They do a great job of placing psychology in the context of the entire healthcare system, and they attempt to explain why we are the lowest paid of doctoral professions. While I don't agree with everything the authors have to say, I found their perspectives on the economics of mental health care to be eye-opening. Again, I wish I had known this stuff before deciding to be a psychologist.

Nice suggestions. Has anyone else read the Eleven blunders book? It's going to cost me 20-25 euro's to order (Holland), so it had better be good :)

on the man who mistook his wife for a hat - are these cases pretty true to life? Some seem they'd more likely be explained psychosomatically than organically, but obviously I'm in no place to question anything.

Hi All! Love this thread :)

I read On Being A Therapist, as it was recommended and kind of required by my supervisor in my masters program. It was a great read as I was entering and beginnning graduate school, I should probably re-read it.

loveoforganic - I also read The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, and while I found it a fascinating read - much of it is very outdated, from the early to mid 1900s so it seems (cant remember exactly) and most of the cases are not explained psychosomatically but as neurological rarities, at least that is how I perceived it. It makes a great moral to remember, all psychological disorders should first be ruled out by MDs to make sure it isn't a physical problem first.

RU2007 - two philosophy books I liked: The Stranger, and The Prophet

JazzPsych - I'm contemplating ordering the Eleven Blunders too, did you end up getting it?

I've noticed 2 categories of psych books that I switch to and from:
psych memoirs of others in troubling times vs psych books for my own personal growth - right now I've been more interested in the personal growth books, any recommendations similar to On Being A Therapist, but not the same?

Memoir-style or novels:
The Help, also recommended by my academic supervisor and loved it. About 3 women in the civil rights time, written as if memoirs, 2 black maids aka "the help" and 1 white lady trying to make a difference.
Wuthering Heights, it was a tough read for me to get through, I kept putting it down, but there are so many intertwined layers and dynamics of psychology. It was definitely a favorite of mine, and a classic.
The Road
The Long Hard Road out of Hell, Marilyn Manson
Intersex

Such great suggestions in this thread, there are SO many books I want to read now and I already have a bookshelf to read at home, what am I to do? :)

Last edited:
I was kinda surprised that these books weren't on here with the neuropsych recommendations.

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky

and

The Trouble with Testosteron and Other Essays on the Biology of the Human Predicament by Robert M. Sapolsky

He's writes about the biology of stress. It is really, really interesting and absolutely hilarious. It's very easy to read as well. I found myself laughing out loud.

Would just like to echo this recommendation. Dr. Sapolsky makes stress physiology incredibly easy to digest (at least in comparison to traditional textbooks) and fun to read.

for anyone with an interest in depth psychology, archetypal psych, jungian/post jungian stuff i would highly recommend;

A Blue Fire - James Hillman
Collected excerpts of James Hillman's writings.

We've Had 100 Years of Psychotherapy and the Worlds Getting Worse - James Hillman + Michael Ventura

The Neurosis of Psychology - Wolfgang Giegerich
A critical view of the Jungian/Archetypal project from within its ranks.

The Matrix and Meaning of Character - Nancy Dohertry + Jaqueline West
Re-imagining diagnosis....

Carl Jung:
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
The Portable Jung (excerpts from the collected works)
Symbols of Transformation
Two Essays on Analytical Psychology

Psychotherapy as a Human Science - Daniel Burston

Covers Phenomenology, Psychoanalysis, Analytical Psychology, Existential approaches, post-modern views incl. Husserl, Heidegger, Binswanger, Freud, Jung, Adler, Boss, Laing, May, Bugental, Foucault, Lacan, intersubjective school etc etc etc.

an anthropologist on mars by oliver sachs

the best part is about the (successful) austistic psychologist working with animals and animal rights because she can understand them very well. but only cows etc. monkeys are too advanced socially and she feels like she cant keep up with them. :)

Wow, this is an amazing thread; thank you all for your contributions, I now have a comprehensive list of recreational reading for my next five years in graduate school! It's bizarre that I didn't stumble upon Student Doctor Forums until after I was accepted to a program . . .

It just came out earlier this month and I'm not even done with it, but I have to recommend it here (because I've already recommended it to just about every person I know).

He compiles, explains clearly, and illustrates through two (interesting and well-developed) characters the different processes that make them who they are, behaviorally, emotionally, socially, etc, etc.
:thumbup::thumbup: Love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a lighter read that gives pretty good insight into day to day practice as a private practice psychologist, you should check out "Crazy: Notes On and Off the Couch" by Dr. Rob Dombrenski. I'm still working my way through it, but so far it has been very good.

But, I found it in our free books in our psychology dept hallway-

Psychological Research-1957

Benton J. Underwood

It sounded lame, but I picked it up and read the Preface and next thing I knew about 5 hours later I was finished and had a completely new perspective (including a new idea for my SOP).

Not sure if you can find one-I was told by a VA psychologist that it was gem!

Suggested in another thread. The reviews look quite favorable:

Public Speaking for Psychologists: A Lighthearted Guide to Research Presentation, Jobs Talks, and Other Opportunities to Embarrass Yourself

by David B. Feldman

Ross and Pam, Pseudoscience in Biological Psychiatry. Obviously a bit dated, but highly suggestive of ongoing and perhaps irresolvable issues in the field.

For anybody tuning an existential orientation, Sartre's existential analysis Baudelaire sits nicely between his two major philosophical works.

Hello. My wife just finished a bachelor's degree in psychology and her graduate I want to give her a book on psychology. Would you recommend me a certain book?

Oh and James Patterson has some great crime thrillers about serial killers.

Zoom

Great book to teach beginner's mind to kids

A must read is Mad in America by Robert Whitaker. I am currently reading his newest, Anatomy of an Epidemic which I am not loving quite as much but still good, so far.

A must read is Mad in America by Robert Whitaker. I am currently reading his newest, Anatomy of an Epidemic which I am not loving quite as much but still good, so far.

Oh man...Anatomy of an Epidemic has been on my shelf since I pre-ordered it. Sadly its buried beneath all of the library books that have gained prominence since beginning the semester. Looking forward / fearing reading it.

I think the ideas of Richard Dawkin's "The Selfish Gene" is a good read, but you want to be careful how far you take that stuff. Honestly, when it comes to application, the only stuff you'd be interested in which really has (in my opinion) any real world gravity to it is stuff like Maslow, Rogers, etc. All the Humanistic Psychology stuff.

"In Search of Memory" by Nobel prize winner Eric Kandel. It's basically the autobiography of one of the most important researchers (in my opinion) in cognitive neuroscience and molecular biology. Fascinating and inspiring. One really cool aspect of it is that he goes into great detail about his relationships with faculty colleagues and research collaborators (mostly at east coast, ivy league institutes), so for anyone that is aspiring to work in academia he has a refreshing take on it.

I'm sure this has been recommended but "Don't Shoot the Dog" is a great book. It is often recommended as part of DBT training. It is written by a dolphin trainer. It is perhaps one of the most elegant treatise on behavioral reinforcement and operand conditioning out there. My professors often call it one of the best parenting books available as well.

"Parenting from the Inside Out" by Daniel Siegel

Can we make this thread great again before summer ends?

Just finished reading How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain by Lisa Feldman Barrett! Very fascinating and mindblowing, rejected the classical view of emotion or Essentialism with scientific evidence. Curious why it didn't rock the field harder.