Must pack for Ireland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In throes of packing my whoppers (the two 70lb suitcases plus my bike as an extra). For those of you over there, what are some essentials that I can't live without and/or don't want to buy there because it's too expensive? I've heard maple syrup goes over well and I'll pack my laptop of course. Anything else that leaps to mind?

I'm flying Vancouver>>London on Sept 20. Then picking up a flight to Cork, I guess. Anyone traveling around that time? See you all there!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming if you're bringing your bike, that you are bringing a good one. This might be lecture-ish of me, but if you're bringing a bike that is in any way worth over $200 or even just $150, make SURE you have very very good locks. Almost no lock is safe from the f_in knackers who will target your bike and do as much as possible to try to steal it. Get an expensive lock, or even two (even if you have a quick release front wheel). Don't settle for like 3 cheap ones. People will steal parts too so hope you don't have a really snazzy gear mech or anything. And if you have a quick-release seat, take it with you everywhere. This might seem obsessive of me, but seriously man, these f-er's must spend all day concocting plans of which bikes to steal and how.

things to bring to dublin because you can't get them there or because they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive, in no particular order:

your preferred brand of deodorant/antiperspirant (bad selection), razor blades (horribly expensive), contact lens solution (gold is cheaper), peanut butter, kraft dinner, your preferred soap (if you are fussy about that, cuz you won't get irish spring in ireland!)

hmmmm....i konw there's more but i cant think of it right now.....that's a start anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Badkarma25 said:
things to bring to dublin because you can't get them there or because they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive, in no particular order:

your preferred brand of deodorant/antiperspirant (bad selection), razor blades (horribly expensive), contact lens solution (gold is cheaper), peanut butter, kraft dinner, your preferred soap (if you are fussy about that, cuz you won't get irish spring in ireland!)

hmmmm....i konw there's more but i cant think of it right now.....that's a start anyway

If you need any medications, try to bring a supply since drugs are quite expensive here. Also, if you have any allergies, and need to use specific products like soaps and shampoos, do bring those - I always bring my own laundry detergent, which is ridiculous on the face of it, but everything here makes me itch (or at least everything I have tried). You can't seem to get unscented deodorant and soaps here, so if this is an issue, pack your own. I also bring lots of dental floss - lightweight, and well worth bringing.
If you or your wife bake, bring measuring cups and spoons, since baking here is largely done by weight, and all your recipes will be either metric or use American measures, while all the measuring cups here are either metric or Imperial (and it does make a difference). On the same note, I put all the recipes I use regularly on a CD this year, so now I don't have to have my books and file box here. If you bake, bring vanilla - very expensive, and hard to find the real thing.
Don't bother bringing textbooks, unless you have books already that are up to date and you really like for physiology, anatomy, biochem and histology. Check the med society web site at UCC for book suggestions and if you have any of the suggested texts bring them but otherwise don't bother (ucc.ie, click on current students, then click clubs and societies, click med soc, then click your year and look at "advice"). Books are generally cheaper here. Hope this helps. Cheers

batteries are expensive, bring some if you require them or have room...ummm....if you like hot lemon stuff when you have a cold like neo citran etc, because all they have in dublin is stuff called lemsip which looks and tastes the same but only contains tylenol, none of the other drugs that relieve symptoms...

if you like a certian type of coffee, like tim hortons if you're from canada or starbucks or something, bring some of that....

more to come if i can remember......

Thanks on the bike thing, leorl. My bike is pretty fancy (not at all by my local standards--my high school students all have $4,000 full suspension bikes) but clearly my skookum ride will attract a lot of (unwanted) attention. I'm assuming it's not a reasonable expectation to be able to park it inside at school or home on a consistent basis. So i should buy a jalopy bike there? It's just that I really thrive on cycling and I'm pretty spoiled on nice equipment...I know, don't bring it if I'm not willing to lose it and i really don't want to attract attention or fuel stereotypes.

The other advice from everyone is terrific...baking et al. Thanks. The more we know, the better.

Yeah. Pretty much. If you have even a crappy looking touring/racing bike, it will get noticed. It's a pain in the ass, especially if you like riding, but yeah...get a ****e mountain bike (2nd hand) or a not-so-snazzy looking street hybrid. That's what I'd do for now... I had a really crap like ...18 speed 2nd hand mountain bike and even that got stolen from me. So I bought a mountain bike that was like 150 euro (cheapest thing for a new bike these days) and that hasn't been touched yet, but I also got an expensive lock for it and I lock it in an inconspicuous place.

But my roommate just bought a Specialized street hybrid (awesome brand) for like 500 euro and that was stolen about a week after she bought it. She had two locks on it and had locked her front wheel to her back wheel. This was really off putting because both of us are thinking of getting into competitive racing (she used to race for the US junior national team) and after that, we were like...no way in hell are we bringing or buying proper racing bikes.

What I'd do is buy a really cheap one when you get here...you can get 2nd hand ones pretty easily or the police always have auctions for the ones which are confiscated that no one has claimed . Then once you find a residence (like a house) where you will be able to keep the bike indoors or very private where no knacker will see, then bring your bike over later . But the thing with this is if you're in an apartment complex, usually there are rules saying that you can't bring bikes inside and if you get caught then the caretakers/landlords start getting really pissy. You can park it at hospitals fairly ok...but schools...not so sure. Even in Trinity where there's guards walking around and it's an enclosed place, bikes get stolen. If you live in an apartment complex, lock it in the garage...but the problem with garages is you can't see it (it's underneath you) and so when you're up in your apt, people could be down there messing with it...whether it's fellow residents or rabblerousers who somehow got into the building.

Bring: if you're gonna miss pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, bring canned pumpkin pie mix. We were all clamoring for it and eventually someone went and found a pumpkin, scoooped out the insides and mashed it, and then somehow baked it to be the mix.
2) There is a black market for Mac N Cheese
3) powdered gatorade. But don't go to Sam's Club and buy those huge containers. Ireland can be so damp that even if you "store in a dry place," it'll clump. So if you can, get your hands on those bunches of packets that they sell now. (same with crystal light)

4) Crest toothpaste is hard to come by. Pretty much, all toiletries are going to be expensive in Ireland/Dublin. So if you really like one particular brand, buy in bulk and bring a load over here.

5) Clothes obviously, but I mean...good ones. You won't be shopping much here unless you have oodles of money. How someone spends 80+ euro for a pair of jeans I don't know, I wouldn't be able to do it. The quality of clothes isn't that great either so wait til you go on trips home to shop. If you're going to be in clinics soon, work clothes - work clothes here are crap. (talking more to the girls)

6) ANY electronics is going to be cheaper in the US. So bring a converter and don't plan on buying gadgets here. Except if you're coming with a family/s.o and want to buy a desktop computer for your apt/house. Dell does cheap desktops still (more expensive than the US, but still reasonable). Except that you would buy printers here (obviously not going to carry those over), and if you're into talking to your family/friends over the computer, webcams aren't too expensive.

From what people have said, i think y'all can get the general gist of things...Ireland is expensive! The books are reasonably priced though. The only thing that can make them more expensive is the currency conversion. But you can still get books here and it's not worth lugging heavy luggage around.

Ireland is expensive and wet so a good rain jacket always comes in handy seen as every umbrella I have ever bought has managed to get broken by the wind no matter how expensve it was.

Simple are unsented soaps/deodorants etc.

Not sure how things are in ireland winter time, but in england i am always missing tylenol flu day/night time relief---it sure can come in handy!

Cheers,
Saph

medgirl20 said:
Ireland is expensive and wet so a good rain jacket always comes in handy seen as every umbrella I have ever bought has managed to get broken by the wind no matter how expensve it was.

Simple are unsented soaps/deodorants etc.

Yes, while I was there I noticed a number of people's umbrellas succumbing to "umbrella wind death." And it's not like you can just kind of orient your umbrella against the direction of the wind to keep it from inverting b/c the wind sort of swirls around or something. A good rain jacket with a hoodie might be the best idea. Or an iron umbrella that stays open all the time.

Unch said:
In throes of packing my whoppers (the two 70lb suitcases plus my bike as an extra). For those of you over there, what are some essentials that I can't live without and/or don't want to buy there because it's too expensive? I've heard maple syrup goes over well and I'll pack my laptop of course. Anything else that leaps to mind?

I'm flying Vancouver>>London on Sept 20. Then picking up a flight to Cork, I guess. Anyone traveling around that time? See you all there!

Hi, just wanted to say that I am also studying at UCC and am from Vancouver. I'm going into my second year and am flying out 3 days after yourself on Sept 23. It'll be nice to have someone else from Vancouver. See you in Cork!

Is cycling convenient in Dublin? Is it true that there are special cycling areas on road? How much are bicycles there (both new and unused)? And ohyeah...is it possible to cycle from Belfied to St Stephen's Green without getting too exhausted, lol? thanks!!