multiple mcat and med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dookbloo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i have some holes in my transcript, and i got a 27 the first time i took the mcat. i got a 35 on the most recent exam, so i was wondering if you knew of any schools that either look at your best score or most recent score, rather than averaging them or frowning upon the 2nd score. any ideas? thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine with those two. I think you would have to check the MSAR to see whether the individuals schools you're interested in would average the two scores or just take the higher of the two. But regardless of what they do, that is a really high increase! Congratulations on your score and best of luck in med school admissions!

thanks...can you tell me what the MSAR is? any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR = Medical School Admissions Requirements (i think?). you can find it at the library. it gives one page of stats and information about each medical school. i don't remember MSAR having any information about how schools view multiple MCAT scores.

i am applying right now with a similar situation. i don't think you should worry about it. improvement is seen as a good thing. YOU GOT A 35!!!!!!!!!!!! improvement can be used to your advantage especially if you have a good explanation for how you raised your score so much. something along the lines of

"school had never been that hard for me... i never had to work as hard as everyone else to get great grades and other standardized tests, so i figured the MCAT would be the same. when my scores came back, it was a real reality check that i wouldn't be able to breeze through med school on my natural smarts the way i had been able to in college and high school. i took it as a challenge, worked really hard and got a 35! it was a huge accomplishment and i really proved to myself that i have what it takes to suceed in med school."

cheers!