MULTIPLE Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances, are you withdrawing from schools (Which you were accepted to) lower on your list when an acceptance comes from one higher up? If not, don't you think it's unfair to rake in the acceptances and keep many others waiting? Just curious. I haven't been accepted yet, but when I do I'll only hold onto one at a time.

Members don't see this ad.

This has been brought up before. I think you should withdraw from any school you have no intention of enrolling in. I am personally keeping two for safety reasons.

For example, one school doesnt require me to finish my current masters program, but the other one does, so It would behoove me to keep both just in case something happens.

Also for many people, the financial aid package the school offers may sway them one way or another, and thats a perfectly good reason to hold on to an acceptance.

Again, if you have no intention of going, then give up the spot.

Financial Aid. It is smart (and ethical) to hold on to multiple acceptances until the financial aid has been worked out for each school. Wouldn't it suck to decline an acceptance only to find out you can't afford to go to the remaining school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am holding on to the acceptances for schools I might actually attend until financial aid information has come in. I have withdrawn from several schools already, but will be unable to withdraw from many more until my financial status is known.

I withdrew from everywhere except one other school after I got in to a school I really liked a lot. I kept the other one because I feel it's the only school that has a chance of getting me to like it better than the first. Sending those withdrawal emails in kinda fun. It takes a load off and it feels good.

Ok, so when does a financial aid package get worked out? And how many schools is a good number to hold on to for financial aid reasons before it gets obnoxious and rude to be stringing along acceptances?

Originally posted by dungadunga
Ok, so when does a financial aid package get worked out? And how many schools is a good number to hold on to for financial aid reasons before it gets obnoxious and rude to be stringing along acceptances?

Only hold on to schools that you would consider going to. Id imagine that any more than 5 acceptances is verging on acceptance-hogging.

I am only holding on to two schools as of now...I think if you are holding five or more that would be wrong. I can understand holding to three or even four until packages come in...

I got acceptances at 3 schools, and I withdrew from two. I do believe withdrawal from schools you are no longer interested in is a good thing--Let someone who's interested in that school to have a chance!

Since we're rehashing this topic yet again, you should drop any school you have no intention of going to. I dont see anything wrong with holding on to two 'just in case' something happens at one school. In this process, you can't be too safe. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong in holding on to multiple acceptances in waiting for a financial aid package.

I am holding onto 3 acceptances and waiting for financial packages.

If you think about it, the same number of people are going to get into medical school no matter how long individuals hold acceptances

yeah, i have a few acceptances and i wouldn't not go to any of them if they gave me the right incentive, therefore i'm waiting for financial aid packages as well. especially this early in the process i dont feel its immoral at all. once i get an idea of prices and whatnot of course i'll drop all but maybe two and i imagine most people would. money is not a small consideration and needs to be a large part of the decision for alot of applicants.

What about withdrawing pre-interview from schools...I'm thinking about doing this because I've gotten into a school I am happy with...is it dumb to pull out before I even know about other schools?

Originally posted by avhart
What about withdrawing pre-interview from schools...I'm thinking about doing this because I've gotten into a school I am happy with...is it dumb to pull out before I even know about other schools?

I cancelled 5 interviews after I got into 2 schools. I think that is a good thing to do, since they can interview more people.

In terms of acceptances, I will hold onto the ones I would consider going to until financial considerations are resolved.

Originally posted by avhart

well, do these other schools have good scholarship/financial aid packages? and could you see yourself living in those cities/attending those schools? if not then i see nothing wrong in withdrawing pre-interview. (it would actually help out ppl who really want to attend that school). i know it's exciting and ego-boosting to "just see if i can get into xyz school" but consider if it's really worth it...and would you really attend that school over the one you have an acceptance to now? for ex, i know a part of me kind of thought, "well gee, upenn! that's a great school, and man it would be so cool to just be accepted." but then when it came down to it, i was 1) very, very tired of traveling and 2) don't really think it held the same attraction for me as the schools i got into did, so i declined my interview. it's definitely a great school, but personally not my choice. and i don't regret it, even though many people were inclined to tell me to go ahead and just "spend the $300-$500". i invested in new clothes instead. :)

I also withdrew pre-interview from 9 schools there is just no point in going there for an interview if you have an acceptance at a school that you would be happier at. Yeah, I am still considering going to U of Penn and U of MIchigan...