multifidus vs longissimus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for the MSK guys.

Any pearls of wisdom on how to identify and distinguish the multifidus from the longissimus under ultrasound (lumbar region)?

Obviously multifidus is medial, but is it possible to tell the lateral border? I can't seem to tell a fascial plane or separation.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
“Longissimoplasty”. I just googled this. First time in my life that google returned “about 0 results (0.57 seconds)”.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for the MSK guys.

Any pearls of wisdom on how to identify and distinguish the multifidus from the longissimus under ultrasound (lumbar region)?

Obviously multifidus is medial, but is it possible to tell the lateral border? I can't seem to tell a fascial plane or separation.
Theoretically, multitudes atrophy is a source (or consequence) of chronic low back skin.

There are some new devices that stim either the medial branch nerve or the muscle itself and is supposed to help with pain.

You are supposed to place the wire and see multifidus twitch. I suppose if it is placed incorrectly, you would stimulate the erector spinae muscles instead and was wondering if this could be distinguished with US.

“Longissimoplasty”. I just googled this. First time in my life that google returned “about 0 results (0.57 seconds)”.
My idea hasn’t caught on yet, but the world will know soon. The future is inflatable balloons.

Reactions: 1 user