Multi Colored Stools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonny_little

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the differential for something like this? Like, when patients come in with a stool that is normal (not diarrhea) but parts are dark and parts are light? Some say it's normal, but I was wondering if anybody had any differntial dxs?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its normal. Acute change in diet (i.e. eating an entire box of triscuits at one sitting) can cause a distinct change in stool composition. This is especially true if Px is constipated.

Idiopathic said:
Acute change in diet (i.e. eating an entire box of triscuits at one sitting) can cause a distinct change in stool composition.

Is this evidence-based medicine? And if so, how did those triscuits taste? :D

This reminds me of the old 'Simpsons' episode where Homer went to the fridge: "Mmmm ...79 slices of American cheese ...*gulp* 78 slices ....*gulp* 77 ..."

Are crayons in your ddx? :D

If you mix all the crayons together, wouldn't you get black stools?

jonny_little said:
What is the differential for something like this? Like, when patients come in with a stool that is normal (not diarrhea) but parts are dark and parts are light? Some say it's normal, but I was wondering if anybody had any differntial dxs?

Little yellow spots? Pt has eaten corn in the last couple of days, and doesn't chew adequately.

This thread exemplafies why I have no interest in general surgery.

Because a sense of humor confuses you? Or because you don't like stool? :)

To the OP: multi-colored stools are normal except when you notice truly aberrant colors or can describe specifically what about stool color is unique. The systemic diagnoses that cause stool color change are not intermittent nor do they tend to cause multiple colors in the same bowel movement. Usually, stool color composition is due to inherent colors in the food ingested.

What did you see in your patient? What are your concerns? Any other signs/symptoms?

How about those toy sets you get from Play-Doh? You know, the ones where you load in the block of Play-Doh into some plastic figure and press down, forcing out "hair"? I know everyone here loves stool so much that they own a Play-Doh stool-making set. Just press down and all the chunky linguine-shaped Play-Doh stool comes oozing out in diff--hey, where's everyone going?

Then you're right, general surgery isn't for you!

can you post a photo? It would help with the diagnosis.

If I give you my mailing address, will you send me a sample on a used guiac card? (Er, strictly for informative purposes only, mind you ...)