MSU MD vs MUCOM urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nguyening2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that people said always go MD over DO but MSU MD is 30k more a year and i got in at the east lansing location. I interviewed at Grand rapid so i have no idea what east lansing would be like. I have until friday to make the deposit for MSU so please help. I'm at a cross road because i basically accepted MUCOM and now the the sudden offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do people always have trouble choosing between MD and DO? Unless the school is CNU, you always choose the MD without hesitation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to specialize in OMM, go DO. If not, MD has fewer barriers. The 30k per year difference doesn't include financial aid so it's a little hard to compare the two in terms of finances.

If you want to specialize in OMM, go DO. If not, MD has fewer barriers. The 30k per year difference doesn't include financial aid so it's a little hard to compare the two in terms of finances.
I don't think people get financial aid in med school. We only get loans. At least at my school we don't.

I don't think people get financial aid in med school. We only get loans. At least at my school we don't.

I am almost certain some schools give scholarships... more common in the MD world than the DO world though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you want to go into a super competitive specialty?

If not, I can't fathom paying 200k extra

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So if i just decide right now I don’t want to do plastic, I’m alright going DO

In all honesty, yes. If the extra 200k is that important to you, then you can definitely go DO. Was there one that you liked better than the other in interviews? I think MSUSOM is a different kind of animal than most DO schools because it is attached to a university. Ultimately you can make the decision for yourself and it will be the right one for you.

Keep in mind that 200k seems like a TON right now, but as the wise white coat investor said, “you’ll make more money in a single hour as an attending than you currently spend on groceries in a month.” You will make the same as an MD or a DO at the end of the day.

It's just that as an MD you'll have a much easier time matching into any of these specialties meaning you can get by with much lower stats than us DOs and more residency programs will be opened to you as well.

It's just that as an MD you'll have a much easier time matching into any of these specialties meaning you can get by with much lower stats than us DOs and more residency programs will be opened to you as well.

Not to mention two sets of boards and OMM

Reactions: 2 users
Would you guy still go if you’ll be far from your support system and won’t be super happy? But I agree. The opportunity is great and I would love not having to take two sets of board and OMM. I’m not planning to apply to any residency that’s super competitive anyway

MD, most people think they want a certain specialty before med school then end up in something else. Could that something else be an MD-favored specialty? Who knows... Just go MD.

I’m just mulling over 400k of debt vs 200k of debt. I just can’t imagine ending up with EM and taking out the extra 200k for no reasons. Though that P/F system at MSU is nice

Would you guy still go if you’ll be far from your support system and won’t be super happy? But I agree. The opportunity is great and I would love not having to take two sets of board and OMM. I’m not planning to apply to any residency that’s super competitive anyway

Aren't you comparing MSUCHM and MSUCOM? Those are both in the same location...

MSU unless you are certain you need to be in close proximity to your support system. Who knows which speciality you'll choose? You don't want any extra hurdles if you decide to go after ortho, derm or similar.

I’m just mulling over 400k of debt vs 200k of debt. I just can’t imagine ending up with EM and taking out the extra 200k for no reasons. Though that P/F system at MSU is nice
First of all, is it possible to get in-state tuition after a year living in MI?
Second, to be honest this is just a drop in the bucket. 200K cheaper tuition won't matter if you don't graduate and become a doctor. DOs jump through more hoops and for that reason there's a higher possibility to fail. About your support system, Michigan and Indiana are neighboring states, it's not really that far away, so if you want to see them, you'll still be able to. Plus you won't really have time in medical school anyway to allocate to other people. Sometimes I can go for weeks without hearing the voice of anyone in my family, and I don't even notice it because we just text each other from time to time and make sure everything is ok, and they know I'm very busy, so they understand.

I would say this is not a decision you can make right now. I'm only a week into rotations and there are things I am realizing that I would leave medicine over if I had to do those for the rest of my life.
I just can’t imagine ending up with EM and taking out the extra 200k for no reasons

Lol EM makes serious bank if you're willing to work more than average.
Though that P/F system at MSU is nice

There are literally no downsides to you choosing MSU over MUCOM. Go MSU and don't even look back. There will be doors open to you that at this moment in time you don't understand the significance of.

First of all, is it possible to get in-state tuition after a year living in MI?
Second, to be honest this is just a drop in the bucket. 200K cheaper tuition won't matter if you don't graduate and become a doctor. DOs jump through more hoops and for that reason there's a higher possibility to fail. About your support system, Michigan and Indiana are neighboring states, it's not really that far away, so if you want to see them, you'll still be able to. Plus you won't really have time in medical school anyway to allocate to other people. Sometimes I can go for weeks without hearing the voice of anyone in my family, and I don't even notice it because we just text each other from time to time and make sure everything is ok, and they know I'm very busy, so they understand.

I wouldn't say that 200k is a drop in the bucket, especially not after many, many years of interest. I think the interest is something many people forget about when talking about this debt.

Hell, in some cases, you'll start accruing interest during school if it's a private loan. The longer you take to get finished with residency or fellowship, the bigger that hole gets. As a doctor, it's always payable, to be sure. But this could be the difference between buying a house at 30 and buying a house at 40 depending on the specialty and the level of debt.

And, to be clear, I'm not advocating for or against either school, per se...

I wouldn't say that 200k is a drop in the bucket, especially not after many, many years of interest. I think the interest is something many people forget about when talking about this debt.

Hell, in some cases, you'll start accruing interest during school if it's a private loan. The longer you take to get finished with residency or fellowship, the bigger that hole gets. As a doctor, it's always payable, to be sure. But this could be the difference between buying a house at 30 and buying a house at 40 depending on the specialty and the level of debt.

And, to be clear, I'm not advocating for or against either school, per se...
Federal subsidized loans are not available to graduate students. Interest begins accruing while you are in school whether you have federal or private loans. It's the variable interest rates that make private loans a worse option.