MSPE letter from school is incorrect - any action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruby109

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

My school just sent us copies of the MSPE letters they uploaded, and mine has incorrect grades (listing grades as "pass" when I honored that rotation). There is also a graph at the end of our MSPE which ranks us against our class based on how many honors we received. I should be in the top 10% based on grades, but because it is incorrect, they've listed me in the top 1/3.
I've emailed my school, to no response yet, but I'm assuming they will fix this and upload a corrected version.
Considering most programs have probably already downloaded my application, with my incorrect MSPE included, is there anything I can, or should do?

Thanks - from a nervous applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call everyone at that office ASAP

Reactions: 1 user
Hi friends,

My school just sent us copies of the MSPE letters they uploaded, and mine has incorrect grades (listing grades as "pass" when I honored that rotation). There is also a graph at the end of our MSPE which ranks us against our class based on how many honors we received. I should be in the top 10% based on grades, but because it is incorrect, they've listed me in the top 1/3.
I've emailed my school, to no response yet, but I'm assuming they will fix this and upload a corrected version.
Considering most programs have probably already downloaded my application, with my incorrect MSPE included, is there anything I can, or should do?

Thanks - from a nervous applicant.

Unacceptable. I'm not someone who advocates aggressive communication with admissions departments, but this warrants:

a) Someone from your school (preferably EM mentor) either writing a letter that you can make copies of and mail or cold-calling/emailing places on your behalf.

b) Following (above) up with an email that you send out to all EM residency coordinators/PDs with the same mentor copied

c) Demanding an immediate fix from your school that's hopefully followed up with an apology. I don't know how this happens, but every single year I have heard of this. Like most schools send students an exact PDF draft of their letter with a week deadline to have things mistakes edited or changed with approval of the rotation or Y3 clerkship director.

You need multiple mediums because it's easy for someone to read and forget about one email or one letter. Yeah, I get it...mistakes happen, but that's a pretty significant mistake that will effect what interviews you get. Fortunately, if all goes well may even be a tiny edge in that it makes you more memorable. I don't think any of these actions is unwarranted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unacceptable. I'm not someone who advocates aggressive communication with admissions departments, but this warrants:

a) Someone from your school (preferably EM mentor) either writing a letter that you can make copies of and mail or cold-calling/emailing places on your behalf.

b) Following (above) up with an email that you send out to all EM residency coordinators/PDs with the same mentor copied

c) Demanding an immediate fix from your school that's hopefully followed up with an apology. I don't know how this happens, but every single year I have heard of this. Like most schools send students an exact PDF draft of their letter with a week deadline to have things mistakes edited or changed with approval of the rotation or Y3 clerkship director.

You need multiple mediums because it's easy for someone to read and forget about one email or one letter. Yeah, I get it...mistakes happen, but that's a pretty significant mistake that will effect what interviews you get. Fortunately, if all goes well may even be a tiny edge in that it makes you more memorable. I don't think any of these actions is unwarranted.

Thank you for the advice. My school has fixed the letter, and I'll be sending a follow up email tomorrow to ensure they uploaded it.
What about the programs I've already gotten interviews from? Is it enough to just bring a copy of my corrected one to the interviews?
I am super frustrated about this, and I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Thank you for the advice. My school has fixed the letter, and I'll be sending a follow up email tomorrow to ensure they uploaded it.
What about the programs I've already gotten interviews from? Is it enough to just bring a copy of my corrected one to the interviews?
I am super frustrated about this, and I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Yes, bring it to your meeting and hand it to them at the end so it's not seen as an overt gesture.

Essentially the same thing has happened to me! My school says "the error was discovered," but I have no idea what caused them to look at it. Apparently they accidentally checked the "yes" box saying that I'd been on academic probation at some point! They uploaded the new one and the registrar sent me a signed letter that I'm supposed to take to my scheduled interviews that says it was their fault and that I've never been on academic probation.

I'm also going to request (well, kindly demand lol) that each program I applied to be called. I'll also be sure to attempt to contact each place myself. Thank you so much for the advice and I'm sorry to the original poster that something like this also happened to. Anymore advice that you can think of please let me know!

Reactions: 1 user