MSM vs MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elliejellybean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a GA resident currently residing in Atl.
Here are some general apprehensions I have about staying in Atl:
1. (Very needy) parents are close which I think could be detrimental
2. I85 collapse has traffic all screwed up as if it wasn't bad already
3. Would be long distance with partner who is in Augusta

General things to look forward to if I stay in Atlanta:
1. I don't have to move!
2. Avoid adjustment to small city like Augusta

School specifics:

MSM Pros
1. HBCU
2. Grady
3. Establish strong network with other minority professionals
4. Prestige

MSM Cons
1. Loved the school until my second interview where I was torn to shreds. Left feeling defeated and unwanted and even cried.
2. Did not/will not disclose COA but tuition is 47 alone
3. Rotations restricted to metro Atlanta area (or so I've been told)

MCG Pros:
1. COA is 41-15k
2. Ultrasound use throughout all 4 years and ability to rotate across GA
3. Connected with staff and students and felt very wanted
4. Pass Fail

MCG Cons:
1. It's in Augusta. The highlight of my student tour was "We have a Target"
2. See 1
3. See 2
4. Lower match rates

Feel free to add any other pros/cons you know of and help me figure this out. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My thoughts:

The traffic situation in Atlanta shouldn't be an issue in the fall. They are expected to finish the I-85 bridge repair in May now instead of June.

Even though Morehouse had a 100% match this year, didn't MCG have a 100% match rate two or three years ago? I wouldnt use that as a deciding factor tbh bc it's prone to change from year to year.

Atlanta >>>>> Augusta by FAR in terms of location.

What are you using as a criteria for prestige? While neither school would be considered "prestigious" MCG is technically ranked in US News, while Morehouse is not.

True true. I just feel like if you go to MSM no one is gonna ask where is that. As where MCG is just.... smh idk

Loved the school until my second interview where I was torn to shreds. Left feeling defeated and unwanted and even cried.

omg what happened? Do share.

but for real, fit and happiness are important. Sounds like MCG is where you felt most at home and supported. And lower COA is huuuuge.

omg what happened? Do share.

but for real, fit and happiness are important. Sounds like MCG is where you felt most at home and supported. And lower COA is huuuuge.

On the off chance that this person actually checks the boards I will PM you. I felt at home at both institutions initially, i just didn't leave feeling that way. I know that the one interviewer isn't a reflection of the school as a whole as well. Then when it comes to cost a lot of people tell me to go to the cheaper school, but then just as many people say not to focus on the cost as it in an investment in self. I really don't like how small of an AA population MCG has and how big the school is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't like how small of an AA population MCG has and how big the school is.

That's potentially a big deal (although so is COA). Were you able to talk to any AA students at MCG and get their thoughts? Sometimes you can contact the admissions/diversity office if not and ask to be put in touch with another minority/AA student.

That's potentially a big deal (although so is COA). Were you able to talk to any AA students at MCG and get their thoughts? Sometimes you can contact the admissions/diversity office if not and ask to be put in touch with another minority/AA student.
I went to second look which was hosted by SNMA. It was nice and I had a good time getting to meet other AAs in medicine, but it just felt like there was some wierd interaction between ORMs and URMs (specifically AAs). I can't put my finger quite on it it but it just seemed to be this whole we're just gonna keep to ourselves and do our thing over here type vibe coming from both sides

Obviously I have no insight to this, but that seems like a really valid concern.