MSIII screwed up, any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dave262

So I got interested in Uro only to discover that my 217 on step I and average grades during basic sciences are a big no no. Is it going to be worthwhile to go balls out third year and try to improve or should I cash in my chips?

Members don't see this ad.

you should put in 110% because third year grades are the most important for every specialty. as far as your chances in urology, the 217 will hurt you, but strong 3rd year grades will help. speak with your PD/chairman to better assess your chances. best of luck.

From everything I have heard it takes above a 230 just to get foot in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
utlonghorn50 said:
From everything I have heard it takes above a 230 just to get foot in the door.

utlonghorn, you heard wrong. plenty of people get interviews in urology and match with step I scores well under 230.

to the original poster, you may get more answers to questions about urology at www.urologymatch.com/ i also suggest you speak to the urology program director at your school. he (or she) will be able to give you an idea where you stand.

Hi guys, quick scenario..... I got a 217 on step 1, I'm currently 35 out of about 101 in my class, and I got a 250 on step 2. I have a great LOR from my uro dept chair and I had a great month of urology early in my 4th year. Do I have a good chance of matching in GU and does my step 2 score help a little or a great deal? Thanks for your help.

The thing that's funny about these forums is that everyone is asking for information from people who are going through the process themselves. As always be careful about what you hear.

As for your shot at matching in Uro, I think one of the only ways to really tell if you have got the goods is to see how many interview offers you get. If you apply to 50 programs and 5 of them want to interview you, the odds may not be in your favor.

Sure, your step 2 score is great. That should definitely help you out. I guess it all comes down to if you're willing to shell out the grand it costs to apply to a large # of programs, and then see how it goes from there.

Good luck.

mdegra said:
Hi guys, quick scenario..... I got a 217 on step 1, I'm currently 35 out of about 101 in my class, and I got a 250 on step 2. I have a great LOR from my uro dept chair and I had a great month of urology early in my 4th year. Do I have a good chance of matching in GU and does my step 2 score help a little or a great deal? Thanks for your help.

Guess I could always sell a kidney. Appreciate the information. Thanks.

Be careful about selling off a kidney.

If you end up drinking a lot of diet coke, you may get kidney cancer and then hopefully some guy will be able to do a partial on you.

mdegra said:
Guess I could always sell a kidney. Appreciate the information. Thanks.

Hey, do you think it's too late to submit the ERAS application for urology?

Most deadline are sept. 30 or oct. 1st.

Some are oct. 15th and Oct. 31/Nov. 1st. Either way, you can find out through the AUA website.

I tried looking and couldn't find anything on the AUA website....

Out of sheer paranoia...I got all my ERAS done and paid for...

65 programs....Sheesh....