MSIII Concern About Sugery Clerkship grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENTforME

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well...i am upset...I studied VERY VERY hard for my surgery shelf - i passed but the shelf is 80% of our grade...so I passed surgery and that's it! I want to go into OTO and some posts says rotation grades are imp. how does this affect my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I can appreciate your anxiety. However, what exactly do you want here?

If I say to you "man you are screwed, I would never try ENT with just a PASS in surgery" are you not going to apply?

Maybe you are hoping for someone to say "Man I have a friend who failed medical school two years and still matched to Mass Eye and Ear"

There are certain things about your application that you can't change. Lamenting Step scores or course grades after the fact is pointless. Do the best you can to prepare and take the results as they come. Don't let anyone dissuade you from applying for a field that you want to do.

Good luck!

Pir8DeacDoc is right on. There are close to 300 ENT spots every yr and I can guarantee you that not all of those applicants honored everything and had amazing Step scores. Some even failed a course. Some failed a Step (trust me). No one's perfect and people striving for the "best" school/ residency/ whatever tend to lose sight of this. If you want it, go for it and concentrate on kicking the sh%$ out of the things ahead of you. Those are the only outcomes that you can affect now.

So what's it going to be?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow dude, 80% of your grade? that was a pretty tough exam. At my school the shelf is only 15% of the grade. I actually ended up doing pretty crappy on it but still got honors (but i barely studied for it given how much it was worth).

when i met with the ENT chairman at my school he said they pay most attention to the surgery and medicine grades. i don't know if that means you are screwed or not, but if you did a good job on surgery, you should have good written evaluations regardless of what you got on the shelf. you should talk to your surgery clerkship director and see if you can get your grade bumped up because you want to go into surgery - ive heard of that being done before.

you should talk to your surgery clerkship director and see if you can get your grade bumped up because you want to go into surgery - ive heard of that being done before.

Don't be that annoying student who complains to every clerkship director to get their grade bumped. It's pathetic and annoying to your classmates. Take the grade that you rightfully deserved. You did the best you could and didn't get honors. Not a big deal.

i didn't get honors in surgery and have so far received interviews from MEEI, Penn, Pittsburgh to name a distinct few. if you're a pleasant hardworker, you'll get great recs and that can carry you - as in my case. believe it or not, being a good person ACTUALLY counts when applying for residency. i can barely believe it.

I really appreciate the advice...ya'll are right...i really did my best and the faculty I worked with offered to give me a letter of rec so...we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for all your input...i really do appreciate it!

I think that I got a pass in Surgery.

Second what people have said above. Keep a cool head, work hard, do some research, make some contacts in your oto dept, get some letters. Don't freak out about not honoring each rotation, just move on to the next one.

At my school everybody got either high honors or honors, which meant that what was called "honors" was the equivalent of "pass" at other schools, and "honors" is all I attained on my 3rd-year surgery rotation. I couldn't be happier with where I matched for ENT.

i didn't get honors in surgery and have so far received interviews from MEEI, Penn, Pittsburgh to name a distinct few. if you're a pleasant hardworker, you'll get great recs and that can carry you - as in my case. believe it or not, being a good person ACTUALLY counts when applying for residency. i can barely believe it.

as a corollary, I honored surgery, and got negged from MEEI and penn. :(

as a corollary, I honored surgery, and got negged from MEEI and penn. :(

ditto... honors in surgery for me = canned by MEEI, Penn, Pitt, Iowa, JHU, Mayo, etc. etc.

This application process has completely debunked any idea I previously had of what constitutes a competitive ENT applicant. I seriously have no clue what people want this year.

As already said by the ENT wisemen, just do as well as you can on the rest of your rotations, do research, get good LORs... and then pray during 4th year.