MSAR living expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does the MSAR calculate living expenses in the Financial Information tab. It often ranges from 23k to 28k. How do are they able to give the exact cost for living expenses at their school? Do they give you the rate for room/board/meals on their campus facilities? If so are you required to live there? If not, do most people live off campus? What are the rates of off campus expenses as compared to on campus expenses?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people get their own place, either by themselves or with a roommate.

Most medical schools don't offer on-campus housing. Some do, or at least offer housing geared towards students and staff (i.e. Boston University) at a slight discount relative to the going rate for housing.

That said, most students find housing either individually or in small groups off-campus. The estimates that the school provides are just that - fairly generous estimates of what it would take for the typical single student to live. Keep in mind that they technically only account for the academic year when they say "yearly" costs (i.e. about 10 months), at least for the first two years. If you are married, have kids, choose to live alone rather than with others in a high cost-of-living area, etc., the allowance might be a bit less than you'll need. But generally most people find it to be sufficient, I think.