This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emma121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm noticing a lot of discrepancies between data in the MSAR and data provided on medical schools' websites. For example, MSAR says Temple accepted 32% OOS last cycle, where as the Temple website says it accepted 53% OOS. This is a huge difference. Which is more reliable in general?

Members don't see this ad.

The MSAR lists matriculant numbers, not acceptee numbers. Only a fraction of accepted students to any particular school ends up attending that school, usually between 1/3rd to 2/3rds.

So for example Temple matriculated 32% out of 53% accepted = 60% yield, just shy of 2/3rds

Reactions: 1 user
The MSAR lists matriculant numbers, not acceptee numbers. Only a fraction of accepted students to any particular school ends up attending that school, usually between 1/3rd to 2/3rds.

So for example Temple matriculated 32% out of 53% accepted = 60% yield, just shy of 2/3rds

https://www.temple.edu/medicine/admissions/prospective_students/entering_profile.htm

Actually this seems to suggest the 47% is part of their class profile, ie the people who matriculated.

To the OP these stats vary from year to year(and the variation can be greater than you think----ie Jefferson was 1/3 IS last year but there are years where it has been 45% IS).

Historically, Temple has been about 60% IS. Schools like Temple aren't state schools(although Temple does get some level of state funding and does show a level of preference to PA residents) so you will see fluctation in how many people they might have IS in a given year. In recent years I think Temple interviews around 20-30% of IS applicants(maybe closer to the 30% side) and about 7-8% of OOS applicants.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good catch. OP, the 53% OOS number has nothing to do with acceptance or matriculant rates, it only says 53% of matriculants are OOS. You couldn't actually calculate any kind of rates unless you knew the yield ratios for IS and OOS.

What I do find interesting is by table 1 of AAMC for 2014 Temple matriculated 67% OOS. While I get there are fluctuations from year to year, 47% to 67% seems like a big fluctuation. Like I said, historically it seems Temple is somewhere in the middle at about 60% IS.

I think the source of confusion is Temple is using the most current data they have from the MS1's who just started in August 2015 while the MSAR data is a bit older than that and is talking about MS1's class who started in August 2014.

No, actually I meant to say matriculated for both. MSAR says 32% of those who matriculated were OOS, Temple website says 53% of thsose who matriculated were OOS.

What I do find interesting is by table 1 of AAMC for 2014 Temple matriculated 67% OOS. While I get there are fluctuations from year to year, 47% to 67% seems like a big fluctuation. Like I said, historically it seems Temple is somewhere in the middle at about 60% IS.

I think the source of confusion is Temple is using the most current data they have from the MS1's who just started in August 2015 while the MSAR data is a bit older than that and is talking about MS1's class who started in August 2014.
You might be right about this. But it still seems like a huge difference. I mean, I would say 32% OOS is a bit on the low side while 53% is definitely worth trying for.

You might be right about this. But it still seems like a huge difference. I mean, I would say 32% OOS is a bit on the low side while 53% is definitely worth trying for.

I would focus more on % of IS vs OOS applicants who get II's. I believe those numbers stay relatively constant at Temple: it's roughly 7-8% OOS and 25-30% IS historically. I think Temple gives 2/3 of their II's OOS.

I would focus more on % of IS vs OOS applicants who get II's. I believe those numbers stay relatively constant at Temple: it's roughly 7-8% OOS and 25-30% IS historically. I think Temple gives 2/3 of their II's OOS.
Sorry, does "II" mean secondaries or interviews?

There are two factors to consider here. MSAR data is from 2014, while the data linked to from Temple is for 2015. The other thing is that MSAR and the school might have different requirements for being in-state.

Since we aren't dealing with the Romans, IIs= interview invite.
Got it. And so, of the people receiving interviews, do these people have a more or less equal chance of getting accepted? As in, the pairing down the number of OOS people occurs when interviews are handed out, not after the interviewing process?

Got it. And so, of the people receiving interviews, do these people have a more or less equal chance of getting accepted? As in, the pairing down the number of OOS people occurs when interviews are handed out, not after the interviewing process?
They have a higher chance of getting accepted once receiving an interview. 88% of total applicants are OOS, and 62% of interviewees are OOS. This is according to MSAR for the entering class of 2014.

They have a higher chance of getting accepted once receiving an interview. 88% of total applicants are OOS, and 62% of interviewees are OOS. This is according to MSAR for the entering class of 2014.

WE have no idea of knowing whether or not their odds are better post acceptance or if PA residents who get in are far more likely to go to Temple than non-PA residents. My guess is its a little bit of both; PA residents might have a little better post II acceptance rates and they are more likely to go there if accepted than non PA residents. The one complicating factor is that unlike many states, PA doesn't give any IS tuition so the people IS are basically paying the same as those OOS.

We don't have access to any data on this, but it's possible. 62% interviewees OOS while only 53% matriculants OOS could be explained by lower accept rate for OOS, or alternatively same accept rate but lower yield (that is, maybe OOS applicants are more likely than IS applicants to be holding other acceptance offers as well).