MS3 need advice choosing: IM vs. psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limelilly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying for residency this year and struggling to choose a specialty - psych vs. IM. If I do IM, I'll likely pursue endocrinology since I enjoy working in clinic and don't love procedures. Here are what I see as the pros/cons - I appreciate any input!

Psych pros:
-ability to run my own practice/work outside of a hospital setting
-I'm really interested in psychotherapy, and I enjoyed reading my psychiatry textbook
-I hate working nights, and psych offers opportunity for a regular 8-5 schedule

Psych cons:
-not getting to use much physiology or lab data/imaging to make decisions
-during my rotation I found the social work aspect of inpatient psych frustrating
-my rotation was all inpatient, and it felt like we monitored patients for a few days and then sent them home without doing much

Endocrinology pros:
-I enjoy the analytical/problem-solving aspects of IM and ability to measure results
-I like working in clinic, and endocrinologist lifestyle seems nice after residency
-my personality seems more similar to the IM doctors I rotated with than to the psychiatrists

Endocrinology cons:
-longer hours during residency, have to apply to fellowship
-not as much flexibility in terms of work settings
-I'm definitely interested in diabetes but wondering if would become too repetitive

Members don't see this ad.

There are a wide variety of practice settings in both specialties: academic, private practice, inpatient, outpatient, etc. One of the benefits of Psych that you forgot to mention is the ability to work remotely. Lots of psych practices during the pandemic converted to telehealth only. This option fits Psych well, and allows for low overhead. The other big plus is that there is such a big demand for psychiatrists that many choose to forego insurance all together and take cash-only payments. Not having to deal with insurance companies will save you a lot of stress. Cash only and 100% virtual model is harder for endo.

But ultimately choose whichever field you are drawn more to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Psych is literally the best field ever for people who love it.

If you don’t love it, don’t do it. Lifestyle after residency can be similar for psych and endo. Don’t let lifestyle be your decider - choose your interest. You can make your interest fit the lifestyle later.

Reactions: 2 users
If the number one pro on the list isn't "I love talking to people with serious psychiatric issues" or some variation thereof, it's an absolutely brutal field. But if that checks out, it's a dream.