This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksturdy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is having a going away celebration for the current MS2/rising MS3 students before they head off for their clinical years, and I wanted to get a gift for my Big Sib. What would you guys recommend? What is something useful to have during third and fourth year rotations? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

- coffee place/food place gift card (ideally within the hospital or on campus)
- snacks they can carry around (granola bars, trail mix, etc.)
- laminated photographs of their loved ones for when they are on surgery and disappear into the abyss
- pens

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
white coat clipboard (see amazon)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A puppy.

Reactions: 2 users
A nice thermos might be a decent idea, I take mine with me to the hospital every morning and it's a pretty cheap, practical gift. I also personally hate wearing my white coat so (if your program/hospital culture is amenable to them) maybe a nice fleece jacket or something?

If you like your big brother/sister: A nice thermos for coffee or an Amazon gift card.

If you don't like him/her: A nice plate of freshly baked brownies. Plot twist - they're made with cannabis. Extra plot twist - an "anonymous" tip gets called in about a certain MS3 and they have to give a urine sample. Just writing this makes me giggle.

Cheers.

Reactions: 2 users
- Stethoscope tag/charm with their initials or name on it
- I second the suggestions for pocket snacks and hospital food/coffee gift cards

Second the idea for the stethoscope tag/charm. Those things grow legs and wander off if they aren't marked. Hospital coffee card is always good too, some places let you load your badge with $$$ so you don't have to carry your credit card around.

Thanks everyone! I decided on a YETI Rambler mug for her coffee. Coffee is love. Coffee is life. (Until you drink too much and give yourself palpitations.) :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Thermos
Coffee
Coffee gift cards
Food gift cards (find out what’s close to where they live and/or the hospital)
The OnlineMedEd Quicktables book
Possibly, a decent pair of scrubs that actually fit (Figs if you want to be fancy, otherwise Amazon has lots of options)