MS1 Research in Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a Carribean school and for two months in the summer they encourage us to do research. I've never done any before, and would like whatever input you guys have!

Have you done research? What in? Did it result in you getting published?

They set aside two months for our project, which should essentially be self directed, and inspired by our Basic Sciences (I'm in M1 at the moment, and they recommend that we do it in Anatomy or Physiology!)

There's a nearby hospital with really good lung and breast units, and I was thinking about trying to do it there. Should I just approach a doc from those units for advice? Anyone have any good ideas for something I could do in two short months? Anyone been in a similar boat? Any help or advice appreciated!

What's the story with research in Ireland?

Members don't see this ad.

It's as simple as asking :). Especially if you're willing not to earn very much, if any at all. I did research in the MS1 and MS2 summers in a collaboration with the Dept. of physiology and Dept. of physiotherapy (same project). Got lucky and happened to get involved in a fantastic project dealing with exercise physiology and possible rehab implications. Definitely involving basic sciences and in my area of interest as well :). Hope to carry it further time permitting. Possible publications...wrote it up this summer, but it's sitting dead at the moment because we've all gotten too busy to work on it and I think my supervisor might have other ideas for it. But it was a very useful experience.

All you have to do is ask one of the docs if they'd be interested in taking you on. Explain your background and maybe why you're interested in that area, and what you hope to bring to their team. Researchers involved in an academic setting are usually more than happy to have an enthusiastic student on board. good luck!

Most of the best research projects are competitively awarded and funded by the Health Research Board (Ireland). Take a look at the following link for more info:
http://www.hrb.ie/view_categories.php?cat_id=323

The research has to be written up at the end of the Summer and all the HRB Summer scholarship holders attend the Winter meeting of the Biomedical Sciences Section of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Ireland to present a poster communication (or an oral one if you're shortlisted). You'll get an abstract in the Irish Journal of Medical Science out of the meeting too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there!!

I was wondering do you know are there any summer student scholarships in Uk for student that are not styding in UK?? If you can give me some link and I would search for it!! Thanks!
Malutka
:)

Trinners said:
Most of the best research projects are competitively awarded and funded by the Health Research Board (Ireland). Take a look at the following link for more info:
http://www.hrb.ie/view_categories.php?cat_id=323

The research has to be written up at the end of the Summer and all the HRB Summer scholarship holders attend the Winter meeting of the Biomedical Sciences Section of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Ireland to present a poster communication (or an oral one if you're shortlisted). You'll get an abstract in the Irish Journal of Medical Science out of the meeting too :)

Thanks for the info Trinners! Have you or any of your friends done any research?

Gunny said:
Thanks for the info Trinners! Have you or any of your friends done any research?

Yeah, I got a HRB Summer scholarship a few years ago and I've been doing research in the same lab every Summer since. Leorl is in my class and she's been involved in research the last two Summers also.

To be honest...why bother with the expense of coming to Ireland when you could be at a US hospital networking?