MS /MA in clinical psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnesotateacup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current undergrad and am hoping to eventually get a doctorate in clinical psychology. However, I'm thinking that I'll for sure need to get a master's first due to my undergrad record. What are some things that can help my chances of getting into a master's program for clinical work? My GPA is 3.18 (yikes...). However, I have research experience in two departments, work as a behavioral health tech at a substance abuse facility, and volunteer at a hospice center. Other than the obvious answer of improving my GPA, is there anything that I can do in addition to this that might help my chances of acceptance? If I can't get into a master's program, is this experience enough to get into an MSW program?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current undergrad and am hoping to eventually get a doctorate in clinical psychology. However, I'm thinking that I'll for sure need to get a master's first due to my undergrad record. What are some things that can help my chances of getting into a master's program for clinical work? My GPA is 3.18 (yikes...). However, I have research experience in two departments, work as a behavioral health tech at a substance abuse facility, and volunteer at a hospice center. Other than the obvious answer of improving my GPA, is there anything that I can do in addition to this that might help my chances of acceptance? If I can't get into a master's program, is this experience enough to get into an MSW program?
If your goal is to become a psychologist, then focusing on getting into a doctoral program is more crucial. 3.18 is not a deal breaker for this. The key is to get research experience and have a high GRE. Becoming a social worker is not a step along this path as it is a career in itself. For a clinical psychology program the only benefit of a MA degree is if it provides plenty of solid research experience, but many students get that through working at labs as opposed to paying more in tuition. Two years of good quantitative research experience with some poster presentations and maybe a publication would really help. If you do decide to be a social worker instead, I'm sure your stats and experience are fine.