MPJE Question/Clarification on Issues - Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yunalx

Reaction score
Hello

I plan on re-taking the Florida MPJE - but I believe this questions will apply to pretty much any MPJE(s). Any advice/help is appreciated - whether it relates to this topic or if it's 1 or all questions... anything is helpful!

My questions are:

1- Counselling, in Florida you have to counsel for both NEW and REFILL prescriptions. With counselling you try to fit in the most relevant information. However, for example side effects - there are countless and you can't possibly counsel on each and everyone of them. So what happens when a patient suffers from one of the side effects you happen to not mention/miss? Can the patient sue you? Can you lose your license? How does this work....

2- Can you refill out-of-state OR out-of-country scripts? I'm assuming YES to legends and Schedule III-V... but what about Schedule II? Also - I'm assuming it needs to be on TAMPER-PROOF paper right? Because I'm not 100% sure if that's used in every state/other countries.

3- I read a thread before about In Office Use Medications - which are a no no. However, In Office Compounding is okay for anticipation of patients. That being said, how about Schedule III-V and/or II? On the label it must say "In Office Use Only". Are there any other requirements from a pharmacist stand point? Labelling/other requirements? Because I'm confused about directions and how specific patients will receive it... especially IF there is a narcotic considering you are not allowed to transfer it per federal law.

4- Big confusion on 2 vs 4 years.... I keep reading how you have to keep certain records for 2 years vs 4 years and I'm super confused. For example: sales of ephedrine/narcotics for 2 years and regular scripts for 4 years? Am I misreading what I'm reading? Can someone please clarify what is 2 and what is 4... or an easy way to remember. Some topics it's 2 and other 4.. my head!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's almost been 2 weeks - hoping someone knows something.... my exam is getting close. Would appreciate any answers to any questions.

Hello

I plan on re-taking the Florida MPJE - but I believe this questions will apply to pretty much any MPJE(s). Any advice/help is appreciated - whether it relates to this topic or if it's 1 or all questions... anything is helpful!

My questions are:

1- Counselling, in Florida you have to counsel for both NEW and REFILL prescriptions. With counselling you try to fit in the most relevant information. However, for example side effects - there are countless and you can't possibly counsel on each and everyone of them. So what happens when a patient suffers from one of the side effects you happen to not mention/miss? Can the patient sue you? Can you lose your license? How does this work....

2- Can you refill out-of-state OR out-of-country scripts? I'm assuming YES to legends and Schedule III-V... but what about Schedule II? Also - I'm assuming it needs to be on TAMPER-PROOF paper right? Because I'm not 100% sure if that's used in every state/other countries.

3- I read a thread before about In Office Use Medications - which are a no no. However, In Office Compounding is okay for anticipation of patients. That being said, how about Schedule III-V and/or II? On the label it must say "In Office Use Only". Are there any other requirements from a pharmacist stand point? Labelling/other requirements? Because I'm confused about directions and how specific patients will receive it... especially IF there is a narcotic considering you are not allowed to transfer it per federal law.

4- Big confusion on 2 vs 4 years.... I keep reading how you have to keep certain records for 2 years vs 4 years and I'm super confused. For example: sales of ephedrine/narcotics for 2 years and regular scripts for 4 years? Am I misreading what I'm reading? Can someone please clarify what is 2 and what is 4... or an easy way to remember. Some topics it's 2 and other 4.. my head!

answers to my best knowledge:
1. $250 fine without ingestion or harm, to $500 with ingestion, and complete approved CE course in the prevention of medication errors of no less than eight (8) hours. So basically you wont loose license i'm guessing but there will be actions against it

2. From what I have read, Yes you can fill out of state or country Rx
Fill out of state/ out of country prescriptions only if 1) valid order 2) licensed prescriber in that state/country and 3) for chronic or recurrent condition only. about controlled 2 filling out of state i haven't read any exception so i am guessing its your call whether you want to or not? i would def call the doctor if its in USA about out of country i guess you can do one time 72 hrs supply if you think its legit rx? (Dont quote me on this i am just talking it out what to do)

3.No “Office Use” of Controlled substances allowed to be prescribed or dispensed, however, or any other drug i guess doctor have to write in script? i'm guessing

4. from what i read.
--> logbook of transactions of PSE must be maintained for 2 years!
--> Each pharmacy must maintain a log book in which each individual pharmacist shall sign a statement each day, attesting to the fact that the information entered into the data processing system that day has been reviewed by him or her and is correct as entered, stored for at least FOUR years
-->
Prescription records 4 years!

Thanks!

For #2 I know that
· Can fill out-of-state/out-of-jurisdiction (country) prescriptions only if:

o 1) Valid order
o 2) Licensed prescriber in that state/jurisdiction, and
o 3) For chronic or recurrent condition only
o Acute diseases should be attended to in the state or country that it arises in

and schedule II can be filled as well.

For #4, I believe most records are kept for 4 years in FL and 2 years is for CS only.