General MPH VS. PhD. in Experimental Health Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rubydragonfly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through similar threads and none seem to match exactly what I'm asking so:

I'm considering either an MPH or a PhD in experimental health psychology. I tried for a masters in counseling, and as much as I loved it, it didn't work out. Turns out I have a disability that prevents me from providing clinical services.

Anyway, I talked to a faculty member who offered to help me since I was essentially thrown out of school and she said I should consider returning to my psychology roots and look into the PhD. programs at the same university. This school also has a public health program (soon to be accredited, I would wait for that before applying.) I have a B.S. in psychology with a minor in Personal Wellness (courses in nutrition, first-aid, community health, physical activities etc). I've considered health education, but it seems like a dead field.

Since I can't provide clinical services, I'd be going experimental and while I enjoy research, I'm not sure I could do it at the exclusion of human contact for the rest of my life and my chances of getting in would be slim. I like the idea of public health, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm imagining. It's at least worth looking into, I'm just not sure it's right for me. Psychology feels like a better fit, but a PhD might prove too much for me. Is there a solution to this that I'm not seeing?

Note that even though I was dismissed from the counseling program, but, I am allowed to return to the university in January for any other program I want and was assured that my reputation is in good standing, the counseling faculty would write recommendations for me, and that it was nothing I did wrong that caused this (no ethics violations, professional behavior issues, or legal problems etc.)

Members don't see this ad.