MPH tuition/salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any major advantage in going to one of the top tier schools in terms of salary. The tuition at some of the highly ranked schools (like Hopkins and Harvard) are very high, and I can't see coming out of school with that much debt especially since the salaries for MPH graduates don't seem that high to begin with. I know it's probably not as big of an issue for MD/MPH people, but I'm talking about people that are only going for the MPH alone.

Members don't see this ad.

bbas said:
Just wondering if there is any major advantage in going to one of the top tier schools in terms of salary. The tuition at some of the highly ranked schools (like Hopkins and Harvard) are very high, and I can't see coming out of school with that much debt especially since the salaries for MPH graduates don't seem that high to begin with. I know it's probably not as big of an issue for MD/MPH people, but I'm talking about people that are only going for the MPH alone.

I have the same question as you do, since I'm debating over a state school and Columbia. State school (UT School of PH) would only cost $24K, where as Columbia will potentially cost $80K!!!! :eek:

I have the same question as you do, since I'm debating over a state school and Columbia. State school (UT School of PH) would only cost $24K, where as Columbia will potentially cost $80K!!!! :eek:

I recommend state school. i have a friend who started off making 30 k a year with a public health bs. in environmental health. not to shabby but could save you buck.:scared:

Cal state northridge undergraduate Human biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad was in Psych at a private school and I am still paying dearly for it. While I cherish my experiance and my education and I would do it again. I think when you get to graduate school and you may already have debt from undergrad you have to look at a lot of factors and one of them, good or bad is money. I would say as long as you feel confident in the program and percieved outcomes of the less expensive school go for it. As many of my fellow public health people remind me time and again... we are NOT in this work for the money. Maybe someday PH will get the pay rate it deserves in the mean time we have to be realistic. I am currently able to pay for school out of pocket by doing it on a part time basis at a state school and I am getting a great education. I have a friend who went to Emory and got a great education as well but payed more for it. Just something to consider... best of luck!

The Harvard MPH is only for individuals who already have a previous professional degree, right? I thought that's what the website said anyways, unless I misunderstood.

the Harvard MPH is targeted towards folks with a professional degree (MD, DO, DMD, DDS, JD, PharmD, etc) or substantial experience working in health care. My classmates who do not have professional degrees include consultants, research assistants, allied health professionals, farmers, etc. About half are physicians but definitely room for others.

Hi!
I am planning to take admission into a Multidiscplinary MPH Program. i wanted to know how much does one earn after MPH in a year and how easy is to get the job? Is Mutlidisciplinary MPH good for a good salary?
thanks
:)