MPH Specializations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedor

gunning like the NRA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once one is accepted to an MPH program, is one free to choose any specialization one wants? Or does one have to choose the specialization when applying?

Also, which specializations are the most common/desirable? I keep hearing people mention epidemiology and infectious diseases, is there a reason that there is so much interest in these two fields?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually most schools require you to apply to a particular program in the MPH. MPH is the degree you get and you specialize in something that you are interested in and feel passionate about. You should pick the field that you feel very strongly about and will like over the long run. Some people want an international focus so they get a MPH in international health, some might like biostatistics so they might go for that. It varies from person and person and based on what your career goals and interests are. Hope that helps.

fedor said:
Once one is accepted to an MPH program, is one free to choose any specialization one wants? Or does one have to choose the specialization when applying?

Also, which specializations are the most common/desirable? I keep hearing people mention epidemiology and infectious diseases, is there a reason that there is so much interest in these two fields?

If you have any interest in clinical research, I would HIGHLY recommend the epidemiology/biostats track. Basic epi knowledge is something most physicians lack and it's even worse when it comes to biostats. One of my public health prof's told me that some of the most poorly designed studies are conducted by clinicians!

Having knowledge of SAS (statistical software) is a HUGE bonus. Assuming you are/will be a med student, I can gaurantee that you will be much more valuable to a researcher than some desperate student looking for research to beef up his/her application for a competitive residency. Even if you're not in medicine, there are tons of jobs available for epidemiologists/biostatisticians. In fact, if you're mathematically-inclined, I would recommend you do a strong biostats track...if available. Hope that helps.

G'luck!