MPH + Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minimal5

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know of non-preventive health residency programs that combine an MPH? Like EM or OBGYN or Surgery?

I'm not sure what I'd like to specialize in, but I definitely know I want to do an MPH somewhere along my educational path.

Any feedback/pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Minimal5 said:
Does anyone know of non-preventive health residency programs that combine an MPH? Like EM or OBGYN or Surgery?
I'm not sure what I'd like to specialize in, but I definitely know I want to do an MPH somewhere along my educational path.
Congrats on deciding to get an MPH! :thumbup:
Now, i have been accused in the past of being Lazy/Callous for telling people to go find stuff available on old posts on SDN. In order to be of better help, i am attaching links to threads which, i am sure, will help you decide why, what, and how..
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=242234
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=245803
some very wise people have posted there (and a few jerks like me ;) )..hope you find it useful!

Good Luck!! :luck:

Nice to see the change, dear friend "uhoh"!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if many residencies will give you the time to complete an MPH without tacking on an additional year, but many (most?) internal medicine fellowships (and I'm guessing many non-IM fellowships as well) give at least a year for research, which often includes an MPH. The bottom line is that no matter what field you want to go into, somewhere along the line you can do an MPH if you want, and it really shouldn't be too hard if you're tracking towards academic medicine and you expect to go through years of (additional) training anyway.

Thanks, all :) If I find any more research on my own, I'll post here...