MPH programs. . .confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trigirl24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Cal State San Diego's MPH program & was accepted to start this upcoming semester. . .since applying, I've taken some PH classes at the university & attended classes. While I really like the course content & am certain I want to get my MPH, I am now questioning my choice in programs. Any insight as to how SDSU compares to other programs, particularly those in CA?

I have strong grades, went to a very competitive undergrad university, and have pretty good test scores. . .Any advice on how much emphasis to put on "prestige" of the program? or suggestions as to programs that are particularly strong if I am interested in promoting excercise/healthy nutrition? I would probably do either an epi or health promotion focus.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't comment on the school, but I think what you do while there is more important than the name. Do you think the material taught at [insert most well known school here] is significantly different than that taught at Joe Blow Bar & Grille & School of Public Health? Not by much is my guess. On the other hand, if you'll be happiest in San Diego and will be most product there, that's obviously the best program for you. Do they have somebody doing research in an area you care about? Can you make connections to prospective employers?

And practically speaking, I doubt prestige is that important for PH grads. Furthermore, I suspect once you're beyond the top 2 or so, it doesn't make a huge difference. I don't think most people really know what programs are "good" and which aren't.

Hey, can somebody tell me what the U of MN is ranked these days in US News? When I was there it was top 10 something or other. Just want to make sure my degree hasn't depreciated in value ;)