MPH letters of recommednation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threecoins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I am a foreign medical graduate profoundly interested in pursuing an MPH in the US. I am specifically interested in the Hopkins program…I would appreciate it if any one can help me with the following questions:
- What points should recommenders cover in letters of recommendation for MPH? Can letters come from clinical US professors I have worked with before?
- can any one tell me what are the basic points covered in the MPH personal statement?
Any links to model letters or model statements?

- How competitive is the Hopkins program? What are my chances of getting in? I have an MD, no GRE, very high TOEFL scores, a couple of editorial positions on editorial boards of student/resident biomedical journals, a few publications, USMLE scores…
Thanks for your support.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

The best people to provide you with guidance would be the admissions office staff at Johns Hopkins, but here are my thoughts:

- The standardized recommendation forms do provide guidelines as to what your letter-writers should mention. Generally, they should discuss your commitment to and aptitude for advanced work in public health, any outstanding achievements you have made so far in medicine or scholarly work, any personal qualities or skills that distinguish you among your peers, and so on. Presumably, each letter writer will discuss the achievements or qualities with which they are most familiar - for example, a professor could write about outstanding work you did in a course or the creativity and diligence you have shown in reserach, a clinical colleague or supervisor could write about your excellent caregiving and commitment to high ethical standards... Those sorts of things, as they apply to your particular collection of academic and clinical (and other) experiences. Usually letters to which you have waived your access are taken more seriously than those to which you have not waived access. (There should be a line on the form that you can sign to waive your right to read the letters.)

- Yes, letters can come from clinical professors with whom you have worked, as well as professors who have been instructors for classes you have taken, or others who have supervised your medical training or work. Again, the forms that accompany the application usually provide guidance as to whom you should ask for recommendations.

- In your personal statement, the important points you should address include:
1. Why have you chosen to pursue the MPH degree, and what do you hope to accomplish after completing the degree? Be as specific as you can about your interests without going into too much technical detail or exceeding the length limitations; admissions committees like to see that you have a clear idea of where you're going (and you can usually change it later if your interests shift).
2. What particular strengths and experiences would you bring to the program? Rather than simply enumerating the accomplishments that appear on your CV, try to highlight the ways in which your experiences have prepared and/or motivated you to pursue a degree/career in public health.
3. What particularly attracted you to the MPH program at Hopkins? Are there any specific faculty members with whom you would be interested in working? Any special programs or departmental strengths at Hopkins that match your interests?

- The Hopkins MPH program is among the most prestigious programs in the country, and thus it is somewhat competitive (funding more so than admission, based on my impressions). Based on the qualifications you have described, you sound like you would be a competitive candidate if you can articulate your reasons for wanting to pursue the MPH at Hopkins with conviction. If you can afford it and you feel you are a reasonably good test-taker (as your successes on the TOEFL and USMLE suggest), you might also consider taking the GRE (and you could always opt not to send it if you do poorly). The Hopkins website has the following to say about standardized testing (the gist of which is that you can try to apply without sending in standardized test scores, but you might be at a disadvantage in terms of consideration for funding and in demonstrating your quantitative aptitude):

"Scores of the GRE, MCAT, GMAT, or LSAT, are required of all MPH applicants. Applicants who have an advanced degree beyond the baccalaureate may elect to have their application reviewed by the MPH Admissions committee without a standardized test score. However, they may be putting themselves at a disadvantage, particularly if their admission materials do not demonstrate significant quantitative and analytical skills. Also, applicants who request to have their application reviewed without a standardized test score may significantly reduce their chances of being awarded a scholarship. Applicants who have an advanced degree and wish to have their application reviewed without a standardized test score should submit that request in writing as part of their admissions packet."

Hope this helps, and best wishes!

Thank you very much for your very informative reply. I was justw ondering what did you mean by
(funding more so than admission, based on my impressions) regarding competitiveness of the program. Do you have any idea how much would it cost in total ( tuition, living expenses, books) throought the MPH year in Hopkins.

Hello,
What I meant was that not everyone who is admitted to the MPH program is offered a scholarship. Since tuition and fees for the 11-month MPH program come to something like US$39,000, people are very keen to try to get scholarships, as you can imagine! Most scholarships are awarded on the basis of information in your application (credentials, experience, academic record and test scores, and most importantly, your stated areas of interest); the Sommer Scholars program requires a separate application in addition to the application for admission. International students are generally ineligible for US government-sponsored financial aid, but some of the privately-funded scholarships are available to international students. There is a lot of information about funding opportunities, international student issues, and MPH program information on the website, but it can be tricky to locate. You might want to start with these pages:
MPH program -
http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/mph/index.html
International Student Information -
http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions/Audiences/internationalstudent.html
I don't mean to sound discouraging - many international students have found ways to fund their educations! But it is worthwhile to do some information-gathering in advance and also to apply early so you have a better chance of getting funding.
Again, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user