MPH in USA vs MSc London/Oxford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgical FMG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am interested in Global and International Health and would like to pursue a Master's in the future to further this interest.

Would like to enquire about the differences between doing so in USA versus UK. The big advantage of doing so in UK is that I can apply without having to take GRE.

Are the courses equally good or prestigious?

For example, a MPH from the big names schools in USA like John Hopkins, Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia.

Versus the Masters of Science degrees from say, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/prospectus/masters/msph.html) or even that from Oxford which has a specific Global Health Science degree. (http://www.publichealth.ox.ac.uk/gradstu/globalhealth)

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

All the schools that you mentioned are both prestigious and have great programs. However, LSHTM is one of the most prestigious, if not the most prestigious for Global, International Health, and Tropical Disease.

I am entering their MSc program for public health this fall. Johns Hopkins was my second choice and George Washington University was my third.

Although LSHTM does not require the GRE, it is very competitive. ...and you'll have to get used to the British postgraduate grading system. At the masters level, the grade you get in many courses is totally dependent on your final exam results. This will most likely be the only exam you take in a course. All finals are taken at the end of the school year (June) for all courses taken in any term during that year.

You'll have to look at the course offering at any school and if you can, get a look at the course syllabus. It will give you an idea of their focus.

All the schools that you mentioned are both prestigious and have great programs. However, LSHTM is one of the most prestigious, if not the most prestigious for Global, International Health, and Tropical Disease.

I am entering their MSc program for public health this fall. Johns Hopkins was my second choice and George Washington University was my third.

Although LSHTM does not require the GRE, it is very competitive. ...and you'll have to get used to the British postgraduate grading system. At the masters level, the grade you get in many courses is totally dependent on your final exam results. This will most likely be the only exam you take in a course. All finals are taken at the end of the school year (June) for all courses taken in any term during that year.

You'll have to look at the course offering at any school and if you can, get a look at the course syllabus. It will give you an idea of their focus.

congratulations on getting in such a prestigious and competitive course!

how about the MSc Tropical Medicine and International Health (http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/prospectus/masters/mstmih.html) this one is only open to medical doctors with at least 2 years working experience and seems much more clinical, with some training in the hospital. the course syllabus doesnt seem to include much on international health. how is this different from the other Msc Public Health in Developing Countries (http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/prospectus/masters/msphdc.html)

I suppose i shd take the former given my interest to work with Red Cross or Doctors without Borders as a doctor in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was accepted to the London School's External Programme. If your already in the field this is a great way to get an education from them without leaving your current assignment. I concur with Simsge about the grading system and subtle terminology differences. Everyone I have spoken with here (Emory, Johns and UAB) said they would accept a London School degree as a prereq for higher diplomas. London is very well respected on this side of the pond as well. Their former Dean is now the President of the Association of Schools of Public Health here in the US.

The MSc Tropical Medicine and International Health is definitely geared toward clinicians and the focus is on disease vectors and prevention. I think you would (as a med student) get a lot more out of this course of study, however, contacting the school, and asking them lots of questions is the best advice I can give you.

Also the MSc Tropical Medicine and International Health is usually studied over the course of one year. I don't think it is available via distance learning.

I just completed an MSc Public Health from LSHTM.

TMIH is a more clinical course, consisting of doctors. You must have a medical degree to be accepted to this program.

PH in Developing countries and Public Health have many overlapping courses - however PHDC focuses predominantly on (you guessed it) lower income countries whereas you have a choice of four streams of focus in PH. Also PHDC has a few more epi/stats courses than PH.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post or PM. I had an amazing experience, not just because of the excellent course, but because of the inspiring students and lifelong friends I made. Plus London is such a great city.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi
I am interested in Global and International Health and would like to pursue a Master's in the future to further this interest.

Would like to enquire about the differences between doing so in USA versus UK. The big advantage of doing so in UK is that I can apply without having to take GRE.

Are the courses equally good or prestigious?

For example, a MPH from the big names schools in USA like John Hopkins, Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia.

Versus the Masters of Science degrees from say, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/prospectus/masters/msph.html) or even that from Oxford which has a specific Global Health Science degree. (http://www.publichealth.ox.ac.uk/gradstu/globalhealth)

cheers
Hi there! I ran across this old thread. Did you make a decision? May I ask what it was? I am wondering if UK schools would provide more international career opportunities to organizations like the WHO, post graduation than a US-based program. Any feedback on your decision would be great!

Hi there! I ran across this old thread. Did you make a decision? May I ask what it was? I am wondering if UK schools would provide more international career opportunities to organizations like the WHO, post graduation than a US-based program. Any feedback on your decision would be great!

When I interned at the WHO I would say the majority of other interns or entry levels workers went to LSHTM, but on the other hand, the CDC budget is almost 4 times that of the WHO and the US is the largest aid donor in the world so I wouldn't say that it would give to a better shot at an international career.