MPH in Int'l Health versus regular MPH w/ international experience: which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varekai1018

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently found out that I was accepted into Tulane's MPH program in international health and development (fall 2006), and have a strong chance of getting into Temple University's MPH in community health. I prefer Tulane's program, as I hope to work on international issues (haven't decided if I want to live in or out of the States yet), but Temple's program would be about 1/3 of the cost, as I would be an in-state student (not to mention housing would be much less of an issue, as I'm from Philadelphia).

I have international experience working at an orphanage for kids with HIV in Thailand, and most recently interning with UNICEF in Kenya and working as a research assistant dealing with HIV programming in Costa Rica as part of the degree I'm currently working on (M.A. in International Peace and Conflict Resolution).

Given my experience, and the fact that I'm currently seeking an international master's degree, would it be necessary/worth choosing Tulane over Temple? Or would I be able to seek the same type of work with a regular MPH combined with international experience (ideally a respected INGO - along the lines of a Save the Children, Child Family Health International, etc)?

Also, does anyone have personal experience with either program?

Any help would be most appreciated, as I am most confused at the moment!

Thanks,
Julie

Members don't see this ad.

I'm certainly no expert in international health, but it seems you already have a fair amount of international experience (and a degree in progress), and thus a program that focuses on community health would best add to your knowledge base.

varekai1018 said:
Hi Everyone,

I recently found out that I was accepted into Tulane's MPH program in international health and development (fall 2006), and have a strong chance of getting into Temple University's MPH in community health. I prefer Tulane's program, as I hope to work on international issues (haven't decided if I want to live in or out of the States yet), but Temple's program would be about 1/3 of the cost, as I would be an in-state student (not to mention housing would be much less of an issue, as I'm from Philadelphia).

I have international experience working at an orphanage for kids with HIV in Thailand, and most recently interning with UNICEF in Kenya and working as a research assistant dealing with HIV programming in Costa Rica as part of the degree I'm currently working on (M.A. in International Peace and Conflict Resolution).

Given my experience, and the fact that I'm currently seeking an international master's degree, would it be necessary/worth choosing Tulane over Temple? Or would I be able to seek the same type of work with a regular MPH combined with international experience (ideally a respected INGO - along the lines of a Save the Children, Child Family Health International, etc)?

Also, does anyone have personal experience with either program?

Any help would be most appreciated, as I am most confused at the moment!

Thanks,
Julie

You could seek the same type of work going to either school. However, one of the big advantages of Tulane is that it is a large school focused on international health. This means there are A LOT of Tulane grads working internationally and in the international health community, Tulane is a very well known school. The contacts that you develop at/through Tulane are a definite advantage. Also it is a known quantity to many organizations that you may seek work with after grauation. That said, you'll have to make the decision as to whether it's worth the extra dough.

I did my MPH at Tulane. I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer and found the international health classes at Tulane lacking -- I felt I already knew most of what they were teaching from my international experiences. I didn't feel it was worth the expense. I ended up in the Epidemiology Department at Tulane and am now pursuing my PhD in epi at the Univ. of WA.

I don't know anything about Temple, so can't really compare it to Tulane.

The best of luck!