MPH in international health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIBERIANGIRL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying for a MPH in international health at BU and then applying to medical school any advice. What are my chances for getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion would be only pursue the MPH if you really want to do something in Public Health, not just a stepping stone for medical school. Its a better idea to a do a SMP program in a hard science. If you want to do a MPH you can always do it while you are in medical school and it would not cost you anything. However if you really feel MPH is something you want to have and might want to pursue a career in public health regardless of getting into medical school or not then you should go for it. Remember that medical schools look at the overall package not just one thing. So yea if you can tie in your MPH with why you want to be a MD it will help, but a one year SMP would be better if you eventually wanted to go to medical school. Good luck.

Homer101 said:
If you want to do a MPH you can always do it while you are in medical school and it would not cost you anything.

Really? Is it same with MBA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Integrated degree programs are done differently at different schools but (and correct me if I'm wrong here) most schools, at least with MPH, during your third year you do your masters coursework. I'm not so sure about the MBA, since combined degree programs typically require separate admission to each program and many MBA programs require a good deal of prior experience as a prerequisite for admission.

For the MBA you can do it in a joint degree program like a MD/MBA. MPH can be done while during the MD. Alot of people on this forum also pursue that. For the MBA/MD you will file two different applications, take the MCAT and apply for the MD and take the GMAT and apply for the MBA. I think it takes 5 yrs but you can check that as I am not sure.