MPH in Environmental Health: Yale vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashylips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to switch into a different department after one semester?...
[my goal is to work at the WHO and environmental health was my second choice after global health]

any scholarship opportunities for foreign students? :( ...
how are the faculty: nice, busy...?
is it possible to complete the MPH in one year?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if Yale will let you switch to Global health because according to them its one of the most popular programs over there. It also has a lot more requirements than the other MPH like foreign language and work experience. However Columbia has a global health emphasis with a 6 month internship through an international agency like WHO. You can be in any MPH program and apply for that. I think EH at Columbia does offer a global health emphasis placement and the head of the department Dr. Rauf actually says as the school is really small most of the people who want to go do the global health thing will get accepted. That is what he told me when I talked to him. As far as financial aid nothing much is available and you can only get loans. Again T.A positions are easier to get through the EH program columbia as it only accepts 20 people or so and last year almost everyone got either hired as a T.A or was given a research or office job with a prof to help out in the money department. Hope the information helps.

there are only 20 people accepted in EH at columbia? i guess i thought it was a big class, more like 120.

is this the same for other schools? i really don't know much about these kinds of stats

btw, Homer, thanks for replying to both of my threads! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ashylips said:
there are only 20 people accepted in EH at columbia? i guess i thought it was a big class, more like 120.

is this the same for other schools? i really don't know much about these kinds of stats

btw, Homer, thanks for replying to both of my threads! :)

I am tweener too, but epid/EH. Looking at stats shows EH to be far smaller than most other programs. For example, Boston EH is only 6% of all MPH students compared to 19% in epid.

Boston U., by the way lets you be very liberal in your course selection as I would be able to do both an EH and Epid concentration with the same amount of credits, semesters, tuition...very cool! Many courses can over lap like "Environmental Epidemiology" (conveniently named).

Your welcome ashylips. Yes there are about 250 ppl or so total at Columbia and 20-25 in EH, that is what Dr Rauf told me when I met him. The department is very personal and they give a lot assistance during your stay. I think it is the smallest department in the school of public health. If you need any more details regarding the programs just PM me.

ashylips said:
is it possible to switch into a different department after one semester?...
[my goal is to work at the WHO and environmental health was my second choice after global health]

columbia is also starting an mph program for global health specifically. pretty exciting since helping to lead the effort to implement the UN millenium development goals. jeffrey sachs is also part of the faculty as well as some other big international health players.

Columbia doesn't have a global health deparment uptil now. They started a global health emphasis this year. They offer a 6 month internship abroad if you get selected for the emphasis. You can get your MPH in EH and do a Global Health emphasis. That would be a more safer bet because it might be harder to switch programs, but you can check with the school.

I got to Yale. It's actually very easy to switch departments as long as you do it before the end of your first year.
As for divisions. Global is actually one of the smallest, if not the smallest division. Chronic Disease Epi is the largest.