Mph Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it varies by school, but what Undergrad GPA would make someone competitive for MPH or PhD admissions? Also, do public health schools look at science GPA separately similar to how med schools do it, or just the overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

bbas said:
I know it varies by school, but what Undergrad GPA would make someone competitive for MPH or PhD admissions? Also, do public health schools look at science GPA separately similar to how med schools do it, or just the overall GPA?

Most MPH and PhD programs require a minimum 3.0 GPA. Anything lower than you have a lot of explaining to do in the personal statement. That, and if you are lucky to get into a program, you might be placed on probation for up to a year to show your ability to handle graduate level courses.

Depending on the university, some public health programs look at your GPA overall, while others take into consideration what courses you took/what grades you received. Again, depending on what schools you apply to, some require some work experience/volunteer experience in the public health setting.

I hope this helps. Good luck.