MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me too :/ anyone set on Emory with similar fin aid situation? How are you going to finance the rest of cost of living? I have 12k undergrad debt and am really scared the loan forgiveness program will be capped in the next couple of years when the first people to get their loans forgiven start in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't know if my commentary helps, but I think a lot of Emory students that I know work a job or two and have loans. I also see a lot of people renting houses/places together to cut costs as well, but it is quite expensive still.

Don't get me wrong, as someone going back to Emory, I think the opportunities are worthwhile and have prospect for good connections, but honestly, if I didn't live near Emory (I'm choosing to commute from home in the Metro to cut costs so I'm talking to FinAid about that as well as waiting on the MA program response/finishing up to see if I can dual degree), I could see myself reconsidering as someone who came out of undergrad with not much debt. I think many in this forum have gotten some nice offers to some amazing programs, but planning cost/benefit analysis is fair game even though decision time is upon us (WHERE DID WINTER GO?).

I should note that a lot of Emory MPH grads I knew were able to find jobs or move onto their career choices pretty decently. CDC, the Health Department etc so the Career Center here is a great resource at the end of the tunnel (or the opportunities have landed people the opportunity to their next degree opportunity), but I would rather folks save money than take out debt and feel that weight. Plus, I feel like there are opportunities to do things like the CDC at other schools with the right connections.

Just my two cents. Also, for more context, I got offered a lot of loans, got a scholarship and REAL (but I'm about to look up fellowships and scholarships like mad because who wants debt at all?!?).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just declined my Yale offer- hopefully that helps someone out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone talked to BU students about their epidemiology and biostats classes by any chance? I noticed that the Epi courses are mostly 4-credits and not 3. Do they like this better than the usual 3 credit format?

Is anyone still waiting on financial aid from Columbia? I've got nothing in my inbox or spam folder.

Is anyone still waiting on financial aid from Columbia? I've got nothing in my inbox or spam folder.

I'm still waiting. I emailed the financial aid office on Monday and they said I should be receiving it within a week.

Don't you all love the financial aid waiting game? I am particularly psyched with checking incessantly to then get...loans! I'll be glad when Harvard sends out theirs so I can then realize I received massive loans from all of the schools and be no closer to deciding my future.

I'm still waiting. I emailed the financial aid office on Monday and they said I should be receiving it within a week.
Awesome, thanks!

Don't you all love the financial aid waiting game? I am particularly psyched with checking incessantly to then get...loans! I'll be glad when Harvard sends out theirs so I can then realize I received massive loans from all of the schools and be no closer to deciding my future.
I know, right? Nothing like the thought of crippling debt to wake you up in the morning :clap:

Unfortunately I did not get the GRA position at Colorado I wanted but it makes the decision easier!

Accepting my offer to UGA with the ROOST scholarship! So EXCITED (and nervous) to finally be making this decision! Who would have thought my last choice when applying becomes the place I'm excited about and ending up! Thank you all for being there for me as I go through this journey :)

PS I didn't tell my friends or family yet and you guys are the first to know ;)

Reactions: 16 users
Anyone have information on pursuing external funding and scholarships, besides loans?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my Yale financial aid.

Summer session - COA $15,068
YSPH grant $3,000

9 month school year - COA $64,208
YSPH grant $7,360
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan $33,000
Work Study $3,500

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone talked to BU students about their epidemiology and biostats classes by any chance? I noticed that the Epi courses are mostly 4-credits and not 3. Do they like this better than the usual 3 credit format?

You should try emailing Jonathan Cote or the admissions team to connect you to a current BUSPH Epi/Biostats student. I did that and was able to speak with several HPM students via email. Perhaps you can also try posting in the Facebook group so any current students in the group can answer your question.

Might not be that helpful but I went to BU for undergrad and most every class at BU for me was 4 credits.

This application process has been a lot of work but it definitely paid off! Big congrats to all of you who have accepted your offers and know where you will be Fall 2016.

I'm happy to say that I will be attending UNC. I hope to see some of you there!

Reactions: 13 users
Has anyone applied to or been accepted to NYU's inaugural Cross-Continental MPH program? I was recently admitted but since it is a new program, I am a little hesitant to accept the offer. I am interested in infectious disease epidemiology and working in global health one day. Therefore, the opportunity to work abroad with major global health organizations like the United Nations, UNICEF, etc. really appeals to me. I was also accepted to Emory's Global Epidemiology program and so I am trying to decide between NYU and Emory.

I just wanted to see if anyone who has been accepted to NYU's program could share their thoughts or if anyone else had any insight that might help me make my decision. Thanks!!

So now that all the dust has settled, I think I am going to be heading off to LSHTM next year. Anyone else going to join me across the pond?

Reactions: 4 users
Might not be that helpful but I went to BU for undergrad and most every class at BU for me was 4 credits.
Hi, another Bu alum here - this is true across most concentrations at BU, but oddly the public health school does a mix of 2, 3, and 4 credit courses. I took some classes at BUSPH a few years ago - core classes were 3 credits and most other courses were 4 credits - it didn't really correlate with work level, so I think they just use it to help you register for enough core classes at the beginning. Hope that helps!

So now that all the dust has settled, I think I am going to be heading off to LSHTM next year. Anyone else going to join me across the pond?

I'm going to LSHTM this fall!

Reactions: 6 users
Did you like that some courses are 4 and others are 2 credits? I figure the 4-credit courses have "lab" portions of the course where you learn more "practical" aspects of the topic you are studying. Is this true? That was how my Research Methods course in undergrad was.

Is anyone attending Columbia's admitted students day on April 8th?

Reactions: 4 users
Finally got my Columbia financial aid package. I mean nothing that I didn't expect, except I was given a need based grant which is a grand total of a whopping $5,000 across 2 semesters and of course the rest all fed unsub loans :). They really need to step up their financial aid. Despite all that, my heart is pretty set on Columbia so I'm going to sit down with my parents and see if its at all possible. Aaahhh April 15th is literally right around the corner!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone applied to or been accepted to NYU's inaugural Cross-Continental MPH program? I was recently admitted but since it is a new program, I am a little hesitant to accept the offer. I am interested in infectious disease epidemiology and working in global health one day. Therefore, the opportunity to work abroad with major global health organizations like the United Nations, UNICEF, etc. really appeals to me. I was also accepted to Emory's Global Epidemiology program and so I am trying to decide between NYU and Emory.

I just wanted to see if anyone who has been accepted to NYU's program could share their thoughts or if anyone else had any insight that might help me make my decision. Thanks!!

I didn't apply for the cross-continental MPH, but I was accepted into the MPH in Public Heath Policy and Management, which is also a new program at NYU, so I'm hesitant in choosing it as well. NYU, GW, and BU are my top choices now each for different reasons. :/

Has anyone heard from UNC about the MPH/RD program??

Finally got my Columbia financial aid package. I mean nothing that I didn't expect, except I was given a need based grant which is a grand total of a whopping $5,000 across 2 semesters and of course the rest all fed unsub loans :). They really need to step up their financial aid. Despite all that, my heart is pretty set on Columbia so I'm going to sit down with my parents and see if its at all possible. Aaahhh April 15th is literally right around the corner!!!
I spent the last few days going over their course directory and have a list of 8 electives I'm super excited to take :D Doing this definitely made me more confident about picking Columbia. But of course, I still plan on doing more research before I commit!

Last edited:
Just received my Johns Hopkins Financial Aid package. $35,778 loans + $1000 work study.

Got into Yale for the MBA today; shocked and so happy. Yale's MBA program really impressed me when I visited - it is a very global school and quite focused on non-profits/social enterprise. They have a loan forgiveness program for students who enter social impact/non-profit fields that is more generous than any I've seen, and the program is a semester shorter than Emory's, so it might be one of the most economical options. I absolutely loved the students, including the dual MPH/MBA students who took a lot of time to talk to me and give advice through the process as a prospective student. The director of the program also seems incredible, and all in all, it just feels right to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Finalized my decision to attend Emory and just declined all other offers. Hopefully that opens up some spots for any of you waitlisters!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got financial aid info from harvard: total of $33,000 in loans from the William D. Ford Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Looks like there might still be a chance to get a scholarship and they are deciding those on 3/29 but for now....just loans.

Just got financial aid info from harvard: total of $33,000 in loans from the William D. Ford Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Looks like there might still be a chance to get a scholarship and they are deciding those on 3/29 but for now....just loans.
Same here.

Got all my results. Accepted to Rutgers, just got the postal mail, so anyone waiting for Rutgers, check your mail boxes too. :banana:

I got accepted to MPH Epi!! I am in the same dilemma, I also went to the admissions office to know more about the program. This is what I got to know if you are interested:
There are no internships or field work in Epi and health management and policy, class size of Epi is around 30-40
Epi is more focused on thesis work and classes will be held from 5 to 6.30 then 6.30 to 8. There are faculty members who are involved in research so you can ask them if they allow you to work with them, rest faculty will guide you in research paper.
As my course is for Epi , so I have no idea for global health but they did say that there are internships and field work for other courses.
If this helps you to decide, I also wanted to go abroad through WHO or UNICEF but have doubts for NYU. If anyone can guide us if the school matter to get into health organizations or is it our experiences which matter? Because I am more likely to go into Rutgers because their fees is half of NYU.

I have now received two emails (one from December and one today) letting me know that they've been having technical difficulties but that I'd hear back soon...so I'm going to guess I will not be joining you across the pond because at this rate I won't be hearing back until this summer! Congratulations on your decision- I think you'll have an amazing time at LSHTM!

I'm a bit concerned about GW's lack of employment metrics. It seems like that type of information is hidden whereas other schools have that information readily available. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm a bit concerned about GW's lack of employment metrics. It seems like that type of information is hidden whereas other schools have that information readily available. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I can't shed any light on why, but I can tell you what my adviser told me. In the several years that she has worked in the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, she only know of one person who did not get a job within the first six months. That person was an international student who did not plan well and ended up with visa issues. Oh, and by job I mean a relevant job, not some "I have loans and need to pay them off stat" job (like my job out of college :sour:). I would say go to admitted students day and talk to Professors in your department to get an idea of what prospects are like after graduation.

You also have to keep in mind that the schools that readily post these kinds of stats on the website are probably biased. There is no way they are going to post any negatives about employee statistics (why would you attend otherwise?), so their results would most likely be upward of the null, pardon my epi language ;). I think that whether stats are posted or not, you are better off asking Professors or people who have been there done that just to get a more accurate view. GW has a LinkedIn page that encompasses students, faculty, and alumni, which I have found very useful. Unfortunately, it is a closed group, and I don't know if accepted students would be allowed to join. But if you can get on the page it is a wonderful resource.

Hope this is helpful.

I can't shed any light on why, but I can tell you what my adviser told me. In the several years that she has worked in the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, she only know of one person who did not get a job within the first six months. That person was an international student who did not plan well and ended up with visa issues. Oh, and by job I mean a relevant job, not some "I have loans and need to pay them off stat" job (like my job out of college :sour:). I would say go to admitted students day and talk to Professors in your department to get an idea of what prospects are like after graduation.

You also have to keep in mind that the schools that readily post these kinds of stats on the website are probably biased. There is no way they are going to post any negatives about employee statistics (why would you attend otherwise?), so their results would most likely be upward of the null, pardon my epi language ;). I think that whether stats are posted or not, you are better off asking Professors or people who have been there done that just to get a more accurate view. GW has a LinkedIn page that encompasses students, faculty, and alumni, which I have found very useful. Unfortunately, it is a closed group, and I don't know if accepted students would be allowed to join. But if you can get on the page it is a wonderful resource.

Hope this is helpful.
I'll reject the null hypothesis. P-value of variable "faculty" is indeed significant

Help!
UC Davis vs. University of Washington?
I cannot decide...

I'm interested in pursuing work in hospital administration/ management. I am also interested in Maternal child health and policy.

U of Wash is about 70k and is two years while UC Davis is 23k and roughly one year.

U of Wash is ranked much higher than UC Davis but here in California where I plan to stay long term after grad they have a great reputation.

UC Davis has only two specializations biostatistics and epi... While U Wash has everything.

There are a lot of personal reasons why UC Davis would be way better for me financially in the long run but U Wash seems to be the better school.

Thoughts? Any help would be so appreciated.

Last edited:
Help!
I cannot decide...

I'm interested in pursuing work in hospital administration/ management. I am also interested in Maternal child health and policy.

U of Wash is about 70k and is two years while UC Davis is 23k and roughly one year.

U of Wash is ranked much higher than UC Davis but here in California where I plan to stay long term after grad they have a great reputation.

UC Davis has only two specializations biostatistics and epi... While U Wash has everything.

There are a lot of personal reasons why UC Davis would be way better for me financially in the log run but U Wash seems to be the better school.

If you want to do management/admin I don't see why you would attend a program that doesn't focus on that. I will be attending UW for my mha but I did consider MPH programs but only those that offered management and policy specializations. I also think the financial return will be high if you go into administration but 70k is very daunting for me. While this pertains to the mha program I spoke to a current student who got a fellowship at Kaiser in California so it is possible to leave the state. Take that as you will.

Help!
I cannot decide...

There are a lot of personal reasons why UC Davis would be way better for me financially in the log run but U Wash seems to be the better school.

Go with the degree that has the management concentration. They want to make sure you know what you are doing far more than UW vs UCD. At Kaiser, I know school placement is less emphasized and more of a who you know and what you know kind of deal.

I didn't apply for the cross-continental MPH, but I was accepted into the MPH in Public Heath Policy and Management, which is also a new program at NYU, so I'm hesitant in choosing it as well. NYU, GW, and BU are my top choices now each for different reasons. :/
Got all my results. Accepted to Rutgers, just got the postal mail, so anyone waiting for Rutgers, check your mail boxes too. :banana:

I got accepted to MPH Epi!! I am in the same dilemma, I also went to the admissions office to know more about the program. This is what I got to know if you are interested:
There are no internships or field work in Epi and health management and policy, class size of Epi is around 30-40
Epi is more focused on thesis work and classes will be held from 5 to 6.30 then 6.30 to 8. There are faculty members who are involved in research so you can ask them if they allow you to work with them, rest faculty will guide you in research paper.
As my course is for Epi , so I have no idea for global health but they did say that there are internships and field work for other courses.
If this helps you to decide, I also wanted to go abroad through WHO or UNICEF but have doubts for NYU. If anyone can guide us if the school matter to get into health organizations or is it our experiences which matter? Because I am more likely to go into Rutgers because their fees is half of NYU.

Based on my research, NYU is known as "the hidden gem." I've read into other threads in regards to NYU's MPH, and yes it is a fairly new school, but like other MPH programs out there, what you put in is what you get. From what I've read, NYU has multiple connections with a variety of international organizations and there are campuses all over NY where students can take classes. NYU is a private school, which explains the cost of tuition. Also, reading into some previous capstone projects, students have been involved with programs such as Doctors Without Birders, UN and UNICEF. I'm not sure why there isn't much information in regards to NYU itself on the web, but the website provides enough to prove it's a legitimate MPH program as others are. Congrats on all the acceptances!

Hey! I would recommend emailing them to check because some of their emails didn't reach my mailbox. They were very helpful, asked me for an alternative email address and sent the relevant email to me on the second email address.

Undergrad School: Large public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Biology, English Dual Degree
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.9
Grad Studies (if applicable): Took two classes at GW as a non-degree student
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 162 Verbal, 156 Quantitative, 4.0 Analytical
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years as a genetics lab tech, many hours of community service, leadership positions in student organizations as an undergrad
Interested in: Health Policy
Applied: GW (3/14), Emory (3/21), Drexel (3/16), University of Maryland (3/23) - I actually submitted the apps all on 3/12, but the dates are when I got an email confirmation from the school
Accepted: GW (3/25) Maryland (3/31) Drexel (4/7) Emory (4/11)
Rejected: None!
Waitlisted: None!

I've been a lurker for a while and wanted to share the good news! GW was my top choice because of its amazing network in DC, the fact that I already took classes at the school and can apply the credits to my degree, and that I live in the area so no issues with relocation.

Clearly, I applied pretty late in the game. And I wouldn't recommend that to anyone, especially if you have my stats (talking to you, Fall 2017!). However, I will say it was nice to hear back from GW so quickly. SOPHAS was also pretty fast verifying everything. Waiting has been the most stressful part of this whole application process, so I can't imagine how everyone else dealt with it for so long!

If there's anyone else out there waiting because of a late/last-minute application - good luck! Best wishes!

For anyone going to GW's preview day on the 2nd - see you there :)

Last edited:
If you want to do management/admin I don't see why you would attend a program that doesn't focus on that. I will be attending UW for my mha but I did consider MPH programs but only those that offered management and policy specializations. I also think the financial return will be high if you go into administration but 70k is very daunting for me. While this pertains to the mha program I spoke to a current student who got a fellowship at Kaiser in California so it is possible to leave the state. Take that as you will.

Go with the degree that has the management concentration. They want to make sure you know what you are doing far more than UW vs UCD. At Kaiser, I know school placement is less emphasized and more of a who you know and what you know kind of deal.

Thanks for the great advice guys! I applied to their program (UC Davis) because financially it would be better for my family if I stay in California. My fiancé (who I have a 2 year old son with) is in the middle of an apprenticeship and would have to leave it if we moved. He would be losing out on a great career and would have to basically start all over again if we went to Washington. He supports whatever decision I make, I'm the one that is conflicted about moving. Your perspectives are helping me see the big picture a lot clearer though.

Alrighty, paid my BU deposit and currently negotiating an apartment. See whoever may attend over there! I'll also be opening up some spots at other schools/financial aid waitlists in this upcoming week. Hope everyone ends up in their dream programs. :)

Reactions: 9 users