MPH-Epi student interested in Wildlife Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgrey

Reaction score
Hi All – I am looking for some advice. I wasn’t sure which forum to post this in, but I thought this group might be able to provide the best insight.

I am currently in a MPH-Epidemiology program and will graduate in May of next year (I have a B.A. in Psychology). I also work as a research coordinator in geriatric healthcare. Overall, I've enjoyed my program and enjoy working in research. However, since I've started my program, I've increasingly felt like I'm studying the right thing (Epidemiology), but I'm doing it in the wrong population (humans). When I was a kid I wanted to be a veterinarian, but as I got older I realized I didn't like the clinical aspect of it. I kind of fell into public health, but I feel like from a population perspective, humans are thriving, while our environment, wildlife, and biodiversity are being threatened. I want to do something that combines my research/ epi experience with wildlife conservation.

I'm starting to get myself more involved in wildlife/ conservation activities to get a better sense of what’s going on in the field and what I’d like to do. As a hobby I do wildlife photography and have been learning a lot about species, behavior, etc. I've just registered for a 'Master Naturalist' program through my state's DNR - I'll take courses related to the state's flora & fauna, conservation, etc., and will complete volunteer hours with a park system. I’m also considering in enrolling in an online Wildlife Management graduate certificate through Oregon State (or something similar) once I finish my MPH, so that I can get more education related to wildlife sciences, ecology, and biology.

I guess my questions are these:
  1. Do most people in wildlife epidemiology/ conservation biology/ other wildlife research field have a DVM or other animal-/ biology-related degree? Do you ever see someone with a MPH/ Epi degree in this field?
  2. If an MPH-Epi degree is not enough (and I'm assuming it's not), do you have recommendations on education/ trainings that would prepare me for this field? As I mentioned above, I’m happy to do a graduate certificate or other training, but I really want to avoid getting a 2nd Masters or 2nd Bachelor’s if possible (I’ve already got enough student loans :)).
  3. I have looked into ‘One Health’ research as a possibility, and would definitely love to hear from anyone who might be involved in this field with what kind of work you do, how you got involved in it, etc.
Thanks everyone for your input!

Members don't see this ad.