MPH coupled with law degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wpeck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since MPH holders can be seen as advocates for the promotion of good public health; have you heard or are there people who have coupled MPH degrees with a law degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I know several people who've done this, in subfields including environmental health and epidemiology. There are a couple of professors at my school with these credentials, as well. I think there are several joint JD-MPH programs out there. Definitely a good combination for people who are interested in health policy/advocacy.

Tulane has a joint program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is relatively common among the health care law and policy set. Several attorneys in my firm did a dual program or went back for an MPH after law school. (They decided to specialize in health care law after graduating and wanted the health focus to specialize further.) Health care law is growing big time these days. Check out the American Health Lawyers Association website to see what's out there in the health law field. I think it's www.ahla.org. By and large, most jobs are going to be in a firm setting, but there some duals also work in the government (HHS mostly), trade associations. DC is where you would most likely end up since that's where most jobs are for these types.

I think it depends greatly on what you want to do, however, so any clues you can provide in that direction would be helpful to diagnose what's best here. I get the sense that you're talking more advocacy (which is pretty broad), but if it's non-profit in any way--keep in mind that would will be in debt FOREVER since you're looking at med school size debt from a 4 year dual type program--and these jobs pay pretty crappy. Several people I know did the firm thing for a few years (to pay off the debt) before going into strictly advocacy type things.

Just my $.02.... or at an hourly rate about $75. :eek:

Hope that helps!

Thanks!
You seem wonderfully informative. I've recently heard rumours concerning infectious disease law coming into existence. Have you heard at all about this small subset..?

booradley5 said:
Yes, this is relatively common among the health care law and policy set. Several attorneys in my firm did a dual program or went back for an MPH after law school. (They decided to specialize in health care law after graduating and wanted the health focus to specialize further.) Health care law is growing big time these days. Check out the American Health Lawyers Association website to see what's out there in the health law field. I think it's www.ahla.org. By and large, most jobs are going to be in a firm setting, but there some duals also work in the government (HHS mostly), trade associations. DC is where you would most likely end up since that's where most jobs are for these types.

I think it depends greatly on what you want to do, however, so any clues you can provide in that direction would be helpful to diagnose what's best here. I get the sense that you're talking more advocacy (which is pretty broad), but if it's non-profit in any way--keep in mind that would will be in debt FOREVER since you're looking at med school size debt from a 4 year dual type program--and these jobs pay pretty crappy. Several people I know did the firm thing for a few years (to pay off the debt) before going into strictly advocacy type things.

Just my $.02.... or at an hourly rate about $75. :eek:

Hope that helps!

I'm a current JD/MPH student and havent heard anything about infectious disease law, although that isnt really saying much...In terms of debt, it obviously depends on where you go (and/or if you are able to obtain funding), but many law schools have debt repayment programs that enable graduates to take public interest jobs while the program makes their loan payments...

Tufts has a programme as well; the JD is through Northeastern, the MPH is through Tufts.