MPH MPH @ AT STILL UNIVERSITY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you recommend doing your Master's or Ph.D online?

• Total voters

VWRks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking into online MPH programs (working full-time so it'd be more convenient). I'm considering applying to AT Still University but can't seem to find too much info about the program from previos students. Does anyone know of someone who went here?Or does anyone have personal experience with this school? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you trying to becoming a full-time professional in public health?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the disadvantage of doing online programs seems to be absence/weaker practicum and less networking activities. Is your current work related to public health in any ways?

Some of the disadvantage of doing online programs seems to be absence/weaker practicum and less networking activities. Is your current work related to public health in any ways?

Not directly. I'm a govt contractor but our company has contracts with the CDC (which is what I'm hoping to get into). The practicum and networking are also my main concerns. I know the program at ATSU requires a practicum of 240 hours the last semester and I live in the national capital region so I feel confident in the ability to find a site to complete the practicum here.

Did you complete your master's online?

Not directly. I'm a govt contractor but our company has contracts with the CDC (which is what I'm hoping to get into). The practicum and networking are also my main concerns. I know the program at ATSU requires a practicum of 240 hours the last semester and I live in the national capital region so I feel confident in the ability to find a site to complete the practicum here.

Did you complete your master's online?

Nope. My friends are in public health (1 at BU, 1 just graduated from JHU, 1 is doing PhD at Harvard for biostats) and they all voiced concerns on your networking prospects for online programs. It's very difficult to get to know a person through internet. Also if you need references, some professors will flat out say no for recommendations for online program because it's hard to write good recommendation from 1 online class alone. Most people who do MPH online seems to be professionals who need it for resume padding (MD, DO, etc) or people already in public health needing a graduate level degree for promotion/job prospects.

From what I've been reading, that's what it seems like to me too. And that's where my concern comes from. I guess it would be up to me if I'm willing to risk completing it online or not.

Hey there,

I came across this thread and I figured I would comment. I am currently finishing up my MPH online at A.T. Still and I have had nothing short of an excellent experience. Our practicum program is a year long and it is up to you how in depth you want your experience to be. I have truly enjoyed the flexibility the program allows. Some students decide to complete their practicums in other countries while some stay locally. It is definitely a TON of work but you make the best of it. Lmk if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

Thank you for your response! How many classes did you take per semester? and are you a professional in the field?