MPH alone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been some discussion in the past about how the MPH degree alone is not as valuable as when it is combined with another degree. I was just wondering whether this viewpoint extends to all the subfields, or just certain ones like epidemiology. I'm specifically wondering about health management/policy. If someone wanted to specialize in this, would the MPH alone be ok or would another degree along with it be more useful?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question! I don't know about how valuable an MPH alone is to either policy/health management or epidemiology for that matter! (Any opinions on both anybody?) Can one get a good job with an MPH 'alone' plus a good number of prior years of work experience ie.) lab research or policy work respectively?

I would like to think a bachelors and a masters would good enough, but your right this is a health field! Is it a matter of never getting to direct a project or attain that upper management level without additional education?

:eek:

that was one of my concerns also. it seem many people either get a MPH/PhD or MPH/MD..

Members don't see this ad :)
bbas said:
There has been some discussion in the past about how the MPH degree alone is not as valuable as when it is combined with another degree. I was just wondering whether this viewpoint extends to all the subfields, or just certain ones like epidemiology. I'm specifically wondering about health management/policy. If someone wanted to specialize in this, would the MPH alone be ok or would another degree along with it be more useful?

I know plenty of people with MPH in health policy/management making quite a bit of cash in health care consulting, hospital management, medical device companies.. etc. Thats the 'money' MPH degree. The rest are more for the socially motivated (in general).

exmike said:
I know plenty of people with MPH in health policy/management making quite a bit of cash in health care consulting, hospital management, medical device companies.. etc. Thats the 'money' MPH degree. The rest are more for the socially motivated (in general).

Dumb question, but I have to ask: what exactly is healthcare consulting?

exmike said:

Although I don't know of anyone with an MPH in health policy/management currently working in the field, I sorta do agree with the above statement that this is probably the best area to go into if you want to make money---especially right out of school (maybe epi as well). The only person I knew in health policy/management while in public health school, decided that the opportunities (and pay potential) just wasn't there so they decided to pursue opportunities outside of public health once they graduated.

As someone who has been working in the field for several years, I will say that at least for me, it has been difficult (as far as pay and advancement is concerned) just having the MPH alone. I took the health promotion/health education route and found that once I graduated, many of the opportunities that I thought would be open to me, began to be taken by people with duel degrees such as RN/MPH's. Remember there are a whole lot of people who had other careers who are going back to get MPHs so the degree alone, in my opinion, is not nearly as powerful as maybe it once was. Also the people that are really calling the shots in a lot of federal agences such as CDC, HRSA, SAMHSA, etc. have doctoral degrees (namely MDs) in addition to their public health degree.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out here who are doing well financially and so on with just an MPH but many of those who are have had to stay in their jobs (namely the federal government) for many, many years in order to get to their levels. My experiences with just an MPH have prompted me to go back and get another advanced degree.

bbas said:
Dumb question, but I have to ask: what exactly is healthcare consulting?

Hard to define. Typically you work for a sectionn of a larger consulting company. You do things like help companies explore/manage health insurance options for their employees, help develop insurance coverage plans. Risk assesment. To be honest, I don't really know all that clearly, but I do know the people doing it are doing VERY well. Look at some of the top consulting firms and see if they have a healthcare consulting branch, and go from there.

mph2pharm said:
Although I don't know of anyone with an MPH in health policy/management currently working in the field, I sorta do agree with the above statement that this is probably the best area to go into if you want to make money---especially right out of school (maybe epi as well). The only person I knew in health policy/management while in public health school, decided that the opportunities (and pay potential) just wasn't there so they decided to pursue opportunities outside of public health once they graduated.

As someone who has been working in the field for several years, I will say that at least for me, it has been difficult (as far as pay and advancement is concerned) just having the MPH alone. I took the health promotion/health education route and found that once I graduated, many of the opportunities that I thought would be open to me, began to be taken by people with duel degrees such as RN/MPH's. Remember there are a whole lot of people who had other careers who are going back to get MPHs so the degree alone, in my opinion, is not nearly as powerful as maybe it once was. Also the people that are really calling the shots in a lot of federal agences such as CDC, HRSA, SAMHSA, etc. have doctoral degrees (namely MDs) in addition to their public health degree.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out here who are doing well financially and so on with just an MPH but many of those who are have had to stay in their jobs (namely the federal government) for many, many years in order to get to their levels. My experiences with just an MPH have prompted me to go back and get another advanced degree.

From my own experience working in health policy, I agree with the above post. Most of the people in upper management at the federal agencies have their MDs or PhDs or they've been around forever. The people who are usually sitting at the table discussing policy/public health issues inside and outside of the government are people with higher degrees. It's a lot harder to move up when you have only a Masters.

Hey I just read the original post and am replying to that, sorry If I am repeating someone elses comment. I just finished my MPH and there are A LOT of opportunties out their. Granted, you are much better off if you have an MD,PhD, or MBA with it, but there are many opportunities.

It really depends on what type of job you are looking for, you can really help with community with an MPH, but to move up on the career ladder its pretty tough, it takes years. I have been offered some pretty good jobs which will hold me over if I don't get into med school this year, so I am pretty happy with this degree.

Hope I didn't ramble, im getting pretty tired :)

I am glad so many people are responding! This is a great website.

This question may be a bit too specific, but if one were to get a PhD in 'biology' rather than strict epidemiology does that help to get those upper level positions? The program I'm looking at incorporates vector biology (mosquitoes etc.), environmental influences and is closely associated with epidemiology..though is not actually entitled 'epidemiology'. (I have been told that once you're in 'the club' in effect, no one cares what your PhD is actually in??)

Thanks!

ubercoo said:
I am glad so many people are responding! This is a great website.

This question may be a bit too specific, but if one were to get a PhD in 'biology' rather than strict epidemiology does that help to get those upper level positions? The program I'm looking at incorporates vector biology (mosquitoes etc.), environmental influences and is closely associated with epidemiology..though is not actually entitled 'epidemiology'. (I have been told that once you're in 'the club' in effect, no one cares what your PhD is actually in??)

Thanks!

If you have an adjunctive PhD and then tack on a professional degree (ie your MPH) that could work. Perhaps the useful thing is to decide what you ultimately hope to do and then look at the training you will need to get there.

Thanks!
Yes, so far I have the MPH set up so I'll be able to intern with/work for the guy I would hope to do the PhD under. I figure if if that goes very well this particular PhD will make sense. If not..there may be a serious altering of plans in the next year! I think you are right. I need to look at what I would like to be doing later and educate (etc.) accordingly. I have been out of undergrad for a couple of years now working in academia, so I definitely feel its time to get the show on the road for advanced ed if its gonna happen :)

exmike said:

Hey, I'm new on here, but I saw that you said that you knew someone with an MPH working for a medical device company. I actually just graduated with a BS in Materials Engineering specializing in Biomaterials (basically working with Medical devices) and would be interested in more info on specifically what your friend/colleague does with the medical device company. I'd also like to get my MPH and pursue working with a similar company, but I don't know where to start! If you can help me out in any way or maybe get me a contact, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

SP