MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Surely there are some classes that can't be held in person, though. Many large universities have rooms just big enough for the classes they hold. In undergrad, I had large lectures where there weren't enough seats in the first few weeks before people dropped. Those won't be possible to hold in-person with social distancing. I'm obviously not in on the discussions being had about how to adapt, but it seems like there isn't enough space nor enough instructors to space out physical distance and split classes into smaller sections. It's just so wild to me that schools are confidently reassuring students that they will have classes face to face, with no caveats provided yet.

It's also rather annoying because there are students who will undoubtedly be unable to attend in the fall, such as people with compromised immune systems, disabled students who may have COVID-19 related barriers, people who may need to take care of family closer to home, and international students who literally cannot enter the country. I am almost certain universities will accommodate individual cases like those, but I think the only safe and equitable way to do this for everyone is via alternative instruction methods, unfortunately.

Good observation, the whole 'social distancing' rule is based on transmission being by droplet, thinking that droplets travel 3 feet, and so make it 6 feet for the general public knowing that people will get a little closer than the guidelines, but also it seems that this virus can be spread by aerosolization, i.e. the virus particles hang around in the air, when you talk you might well aerosolize some virus particles. It makes sense that restaurants and other locations are closed, but if you open back-up with the 6 foot rule, you might well get a return to transmission, though at a lower level.

Lecture halls are a big problem, if you wanted to invent a way to infect students in mass, have them sit in a closed room together. The instructors are at high risk as well. Even if they sit students every other chair, probably you'd get transmission, it is all about mitigation and an acceptable risk. They might have the instructors (who are older and higher risk overall of dying) lecture via video to a lecture hall with students seated maybe 3 feet apart but wearing masks. Having classes outside in a tent, if the school has space which many do not, you can space students out every 6 feet AND you've got natural air circulation presumably diluting any aerosolized particles and if students wore masks, this might be an acceptable risk. I can see some schools, as there aren't enough lecture halls, to have students in class just 1 or 2 days a week, but they'd also have to probably sterilize the lecture halls between students, or have students wipe their desks down between classes, but they'd make their money by having students live in residence halls (with a lot of new rules) and buying school lunch plans.

The northeast corridor from Boston down to New York and Pennsylvania is heavily populated, this is where coronavirus cases really spiked and where the virus might become endemic during the fall and not rapidly decline, also where a second peak might start if that happens this winter, during winter you can't help but have students packed into whatever buildings be it residence halls or for lectures, I think it will be the biggest problem for these schools.

Activities and services for students might be scaled back and eliminated completely, but schools might try to charge the same tuition. One BU student Julia Dutra is taking the school to federal court over tuition reimbursement as the school advertised extracurricular activities and the BU president Bob Brown stated the benefits of in-person classes over virtual classes, but they apparently wouldn't refund certain things students paid for the in the tuition. Per one article:

"A college experience is more than classes, the complaint said, but also includes access to facilities, labs, study rooms, intramural activities, student art, clubs, and other campus-related activities. Those weren’t provided during the second half of the spring semester."

BU also got into a fight with students who were evicted from their dorms, but they wanted to pay for rent for the rest of the semester and for a meal plan rendered worthless. Look carefully at what BU is offering from their public health school, and what might be taken away without recourse, if Boston is closed in many ways this fall, you'll miss out on networking/externships, almost a certainty as BUSPH places public health students at senior care facilities for certain externships, with 4 big public health schools in Boston, you'll have more competition for externships during all of this, definitely ask for the tuition reduction ahead of time as it won't be the same experience, think carefully if you want to risk a lot for what could be a mediocre experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. I am deciding between GW (Global Health Policy) and Tulane (International Health and Development) MPH programs for the fall. I would love to end up working in DC but I also want to do practical experience abroad and work internationally after I graduate, and I've heard Tulane's program is better suited for international experiences. Does anyone have any advice/experience with either of these programs? Thanks!

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. I am deciding between GW (Global Health Policy) and Tulane (International Health and Development) MPH programs for the fall. I would love to end up working in DC but I also want to do practical experience abroad and work internationally after I graduate, and I've heard Tulane's program is better suited for international experiences. Does anyone have any advice/experience with either of these programs? Thanks!
Hi there! I was in the same boat between the same schools (although I was epi department). I also really want to work in DC one day, but ended up choosing the Tulane program because I know it has such a strong reputation internationally. I reached out to faculty too and they really were so helpful and I saw opportunities to work and complete a practicum abroad almost immediately. I was also reassured by looking at what to Tulane alumni are up to, and there were plenty of people in the DC area to connect with so it is definitely an option to end up there still. Plus, the program is known to be really strong in PH circles in DC, esp for global health.
Finally you can’t beat the cost of living in New Orleans so if finances are important to you that’s something to consider! Both cities have a lot to offer either way.

Hope that helps! I’m incoming this fall so this was just my reasoning in selecting the program, take it as you will! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been given the option to defer for one semester and start in the spring of 2021? A friend of mine was accepted to a MA program at Columbia and they recently provided that option to their incoming students, I’m curious if any other schools have offered this.

Anyone who applied to University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio for MPH what were your stats, when did you apply, and how fast did you get a response?

Has anyone been given the option to defer for one semester and start in the spring of 2021? A friend of mine was accepted to a MA program at Columbia and they recently provided that option to their incoming students, I’m curious if any other schools have offered this.
Oh that would be great! I really didn’t want to defer for a year but any option for fall 2020 doesn’t really sound ideal.I don’t think they offer it for the MPH though. Did your friend’s program have an option for enroling in spring before covid-19?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh that would be great! I really didn’t want to defer for a year but any option for fall 2020 doesn’t really sound ideal.I don’t think they offer it for the MPH though. Did your friend’s program have an option for enroling in spring before covid-19?
I’m not sure if they offer spring enrollment in this particular program! It stated in the email that the option to defer for a semester was due to uncertainty related to COVID and they noted that core courses would have to be taken out of sequence, which makes me think they wouldn’t offer this in a normal situation.

I've officially submitted my deposit for CUNY! I was already leaning towards it because I've been thinking about deferring/online classes/etc. and didn't want to take out an extremely high amount of loans for another program that could have a semester (or semesters) online anyways - but last night I was notified that I received a scholarship from them! CUNY is super flexible so I know if I wanted or needed to, I could start in the spring and/or go part-time. I'm really excited to go there and if anyone else is going, hmu!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello!

Hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy times.

I just received an interview for UPenn's MPH program. Can anyone offer some insight on the interview process at Penn?

I had my interview with Dartmouth last week and it was with an alumnus. The overall interview was relaxed and more conversational.

Thank you!

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have posted because this semester was a little busy and a lot of deadlines were coming to me at once. I want to re-introduce myself. I am a current HPM Emory student, and I just finished my first year of my MPH program last week!

This semester was pretty weird with the transition to online learning back in March after spring break was extended another week. I felt like I adjusted pretty fine but it did take some time getting used to, especially with lectures and project group meetings.

I do agree with those of you suggesting that the plans for fall should be more clear. From what I understand, they're still working on the plans for fall classes and social distancing procedures. Personally, I feel like virtual learning should still be a definite option for this fall especially if experts are expecting a second wave of the virus spread, just to be safe. Especially for those who are immunocompromised and those who live with high-risk family members, or just in general because our health and safety are the most important. I know this virus is not going to go away overnight or through the summer and it's something that should be taken into consideration when preparing for the next school year.

I'm still staying inside despite the lockdown being lifted up in Atlanta, so I'll be on this site just checking in on fellow MPH people. If any of you who have enrolled in Emory's MPH program or in general, feel free to send me any questions about Emory's HPM department or Atlanta housing or anything in general and I'll try my best to answer your questions.

For now, stay safe and stay healthy and I wish you all luck in your MPH and grad school pursuits!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have posted because this semester was a little busy and a lot of deadlines were coming to me at once. I want to re-introduce myself. I am a current HPM Emory student, and I just finished my first year of my MPH program last week!

This semester was pretty weird with the transition to online learning back in March after spring break was extended another week. I felt like I adjusted pretty fine but it did take some time getting used to, especially with lectures and project group meetings.

I do agree with those of you suggesting that the plans for fall should be more clear. From what I understand, they're still working on the plans for fall classes and social distancing procedures. Personally, I feel like virtual learning should still be a definite option for this fall especially if experts are expecting a second wave of the virus spread, just to be safe. Especially for those who are immunocompromised and those who live with high-risk family members, or just in general because our health and safety are the most important. I know this virus is not going to go away overnight or through the summer and it's something that should be taken into consideration when preparing for the next school year.

I'm still staying inside despite the lockdown being lifted up in Atlanta, so I'll be on this site just checking in on fellow MPH people. If any of you who have enrolled in Emory's MPH program or in general, feel free to send me any questions about Emory's HPM department or Atlanta housing or anything in general and I'll try my best to answer your questions.

For now, stay safe and stay healthy and I wish you all luck in your MPH and grad school pursuits!
Hi, thanks for your insights as a current student! One of the factors that would affect decision on whether to defer or enroll in classes at Emory this fall is the cost. I would be disappointed if I had to pay the same price for online classes.

Do you mind talking about what Rollins has done this semester in terms of cost? Did they refund fees? I'm sure you don't know whether cost would be the same next year but it might be helpful to know what Emory did this semester to give us an idea of what they might do next semester.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Hi, thanks for your insights as a current student! One of the factors that would affect decision on whether to defer or enroll in classes at Emory this fall is the cost. I would be disappointed if I had to pay the same price for online classes.

Do you mind talking about what Rollins has done this semester in terms of cost? Did they refund fees? I'm sure you don't know whether cost would be the same next year but it might be helpful to know what Emory did this semester to give us an idea of what they might do next semester.
That's a good question. There's this program called the REAL that a lot of students are in which is essentially a work-study program but with public health agencies in the local areas. All REAL students, including myself, received some sort of reimbursement or payment from Emory itself in the case of transferring online or if a student lost their on-campus job due to COVID-19 . It wasn't a lot but it was something to cover a student's expenses for a good couple of months. I don't know if any tuition or other university fees have been reimbursed because I haven't received anything besides that REAL reimbursement fund.

I applied last year for MPH and got into GW. However due to real life circumstances and the fact I couldn't afford that much in tuition, I reapplied again this year.

Undergrad School: Washington State University (graduated June 2017)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.88
Post-Bach: 3.86
My Current Overall GPA:
Major/Minor: Biology/Psychology
GRE:
V: 152 (56%), Q: 148 (30%), W: 4.0 (October 2018)
V: 151 (52%), Q: 153 (50%), W: 3.5 (June 2016)

Honors: Lou & Ruth Allen Scholarship, Boeing Research Scholarship, Team Mentor Peer Scholarships

Certifications: CPR/First Aid

Experience/Research:

-Over 300 hours as an Intern/Shadowing Physical and Occupational Therapists (some hours also in a hospital)
-Resident Advisor at Washington State University for two years
-Research Project regarding rats with stress at Washington State University - did a presentation for it and got a scholarship
-Global Case Competition (2014-2016) - it consisted of a group paper about a global issue in various different countries (ex: Arsenic Poisoning in an Indian river)
-Interdisciplinary Innovation Challenge (2nd place in 2015 (won a scholarship) and 3rd place in 2016) - A group paper with one to three other students regarding an issue affecting the US or Washington State. After doing the group paper, you had to present your stance in front of multiple judges and explain what solutions you created to solve the issue.
-Volunteer at the local animal shelter (4+ years)
-Habitat for Humanity Member (done a few projects)
-American Cancer Society Member (Raising money through walking)
-Circle K International Member (I've done various projects to help the community from 2014-2017) - I was also a new mentor coach to new members in the club.
-Team Mentor Peer Member (won a scholarship 2014-2015)
-Soup Kitchen Volunteer
-Cashier at Walmart for 3 months (Summer 2015)
- ESL Tutor at local library
- Intern at a local non-profit public health organization and wrote 3 different reports regarding energy usage with energy benchmarking and how residents see recycling (each report was easily over 20+ pages).

LOR: One from a PT that I interned with, college post-bach professor, director of the local non-profit public health organization

Interests: MPH in Health Policy and Management

Applying: UW, SFSU, Columbia, NYU, Rutgers, Emory, UM

Accepted: Emory + $$ , NYU + $$, Rutgers (Health Population Certificate Program)

Waitlisted: None yet

Rejected:
UM

Going To:
Most likely Emory (I have accepted)

For those that don't have the greatest GPA, don't give up!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my phone interview with Dartmouth. Happy to answer any questions about the format/questions if anyone has one coming up!

Hi

I have an interview This week!! SO nervous! What was the format and questions for interview etc? Thank you so much for your help!

I have an interview with Dartmouth MPH this week!!! Any advice or insight you can give me for the interview? mine is a phone interview
Its pretty standard and conversational. They will ask why dartmouth, any leadership roles, and if you have any questions. Make sure you have questions to ask them, and relax.

Hello!

Has anyone asked about deferral of funding, specifically for Yale (but I am also curious to hear about policies for other schools)? I received a scholarship and accepted my offer to attend this coming Fall, but I am really nervous schools will be doing remote learning, which would limit networking/research opportunities. Would love to hear if anyone who has accepted their offer for Fall 2020 is in a similar predicament and if they have asked their schools about the possibility of deferring their offer and funding! Hope everyone is safe and well :)

Last edited:
I have an interview with Dartmouth MPH this week!!! Any advice or insight you can give me for the interview? mine is a phone interview

I had my phone interview with Dartmouth last week. It was with a recent alumnus. The overall interview was pretty casual and conversational. Definitely prepare answers for your run-of-the-mill standard interview questions (Why MPH? Why Dartmouth? Tell me about a time you worked on a team. Have you ever dealt with conflict on a team? How did you deal with it?). Also, definitely prepare some specific questions for the interviewer. The interview lasts about 30 minutes. Relax and don't stress. If they're taking the time to interview, then they're most likely going to offer you a spot. Good luck!

Hello!

Has anyone asked about deferral of funding, specifically for Yale (but I am also curious to hear about policies for other schools)? I received a scholarship and accepted my offer to attend this coming Fall, but I am really nervous schools will be doing remote learning, which would limit networking/research opportunities. Would love to hear if anyone who has accepted their offer for Fall 2020 are in a similar predicament and if they have asked their schools about the possibility of deferring their offer and funding! Hope everyone safe and well :)
Hi! I haven’t accepted the Yale offer but I asked them about deferral and they said once you’ve accepted the deferral process is easy and there is no deadline for it at this time. I’m not sure about funding but would definitely ask! They’ve been very responsive and kind which is more than I can say for other schools!

Hi! I haven’t accepted the Yale offer but I asked them about deferral and they said once you’ve accepted the deferral process is easy and there is no deadline for it at this time. I’m not sure about funding but would definitely ask! They’ve been very responsive and kind which is more than I can say for other schools!
That is really nice to hear, really thankful they're being understanding about deferrals even after accepting. thanks for the help!

I submitted my app literally in 1 week and got my first acceptance to JHSPH today (app completed on 04/30)! Anyone attending JHSPH, do you receive aid package the same time with your acceptance? Thankss

I submitted my app literally in 1 week and got my first acceptance to JHSPH today (app completed on 04/30)! Anyone attending JHSPH, do you receive aid package the same time with your acceptance? Thankss
I applied to JHSPH too but my app was marked completed earlier this week after the LORs were sent in. I hope to hear back soon, do you mind sharing your stats with me.

No problem! I submitted my app 04/20 but my application was not marked completed until 04/29 after the last LOR was sent in. I have low GPA below 3.0 (sophas verified), no GRE, very strong biology research (4yrs) with 3 pubs, ok EC (volunteer trips, clinical part-time jobs, volunteer work that advocate women's rights, etc...). I think LOR plays an extremely important role. Each application is strong in its own way and if you can link things you are strong at and why the program is perfect fit for you,+ good LOR, don't give up because of your stats!

I applied to JHSPH too but my app was marked completed earlier this week after the LORs were sent in. I hope to hear back soon, do you mind sharing your stats with me.

No problem! I submitted my app 04/20 but my application was not marked completed until 04/29 after the last LOR was sent in. I have low GPA below 3.0 (sophas verified), no GRE, very strong biology research (4yrs) with 3 pubs, ok EC (volunteer trips, clinical part-time jobs, volunteer work that advocate women's rights, etc...). I think LOR plays an extremely important role. Each application is strong in its own way and if you can link things you are strong at and why the program is perfect fit for you,+ good LOR, don't give up because of your stats!
Okay I feel a lil better now my stats are 3.4c gpa and a 3.2s, no GRE or MCAT yet. I have worked a good amount of clinical hours, lot of research and mentoring. So far I have been accepted into USF and VCU Cert program but I want to go to either UPENN or JHSPH. I really hope to hear back soon.

and btw super Congrats to you!!!

• Love
Hiii... Can anyone offer any advice as to attending GW on a full tuition scholarship versus attending Hopkins where the only aid I got was work study? Is the prestige and network associated with Hopkins worth the massive amount of loans I would need to take out? I've only heard good things about GW's program, but Hopkins just seems so unparalleled when it comes to the number of opportunities it would offer, in terms of research, jobs, etc. At the same time, I don't feel confident in the decision to turn down such a large scholarship, especially given that GW is also a great school with a great location and network. Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance

Last edited:
Hiii... Can anyone offer any advice as to attending GW on a full tuition scholarship versus attending Hopkins where the only aid I got was work study? Is the prestige and network associated with Hopkins worth the massive amount of loans I would need to take out? I've only heard good things about GW's program, but Hopkins just seems so unparalleled when it comes to the number of opportunities it would offer, in terms of research, jobs, etc. At the same time, I don't feel confident in the decision to turn down such a large scholarship, especially given that GW is also a great school with a great location and network. Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance

Maybe I'm biased because I live near DC and I will be going to GW, but I personally cannot imagine turning down a full scholarship! That's SO hard to come by. I also think DC is a better city than Baltimore, even though the cost of living is way higher.

Which specific programs are you debating between? Is it an MSPH at Hopkins (2 years) or their MPH (11 months)?

Has anyone had success appealing financial aid from UNC? They are definitely giving off the vibe that they never budge on fin aid packages but especially with everything happening with COVID and a likely recession when we are entering the job market I am starting to panic. I turned down an offer at Drexel that would have led to about $30k max loans for what is looking like $60k from UNC...

I don't know if "buyer's remorse" comes in because the amount I'll be taking out in loans has started to set in or if it's just that not being able to visit the schools makes it hard to envision myself anywhere but I am hoping I made the right decision because I feel very uneasy right now about my decision but I also don't feel a strong pull to any of the other schools either so just feeling some post-decision making anxiety that I hope will soon go away :/
Buyer's remorse is so real after making a decision, especially with all of the uncertainty right now! personally, I turned down a fellowship at Drexel that would have meant about $35kish in loans for $60k at UNC and I regret/worry about it every day. I just keep reminding myself that there was a reason why I chose UNC and I need to trust my gut.. if I had one word to describe my visit at Drexel it would be underwhelming, and at UNC I was blown-away. I hope it helps to know that someone else is freaking out along with you/experiencing the same thing- I know that things are crazy right now, but I think it just really goes to show how important the field that we are all going into is- Where did you end up deciding to go? Best of luck!

Okay I feel a lil better now my stats are 3.4c gpa and a 3.2s, no GRE or MCAT yet. I have worked a good amount of clinical hours, lot of research and mentoring. So far I have been accepted into USF and VCU Cert program but I want to go to either UPENN or JHSPH. I really hope to hear back soon.

Would either of you mind sharing how you applied without the GRE score to JHSPH? I can’t find anything that suggests that they waived the requirement or have made it optional.

I, also, do not have a GRE score and really wanted to apply to their 11 month program or the part-time online option.
Thank you in advance!

I'm a little late to the party due to last-minute changes of plans, but I'd love to know what you guys think of my chances!!

Undergraduate School: Public ivy in TX
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0/4.0
Major/minor: Psychology (B.A.), Interdisciplinary Studies (B.A.), African Studies (Minor)
+A.A. in Psychology from community college (former homeschooler/transfer student)
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): not taken yet, but waived for this year anyway

Experience/research:
-6 months research experience in sexual psychophysiology lab
-2 years research experience in child development lab
-8 months research experience in neuroscience lab studying PTSD
-psych & public health-related honors thesis (publication pending)
-6 mos statistics tutor
-6 yrs volunteering at youth-serving orgs
-2 months volunteering in COVID-response org
-internship at child protection nonprofit

Letters of Rec: PI from lab I've worked in for 2 yrs, thesis advisor, & family friend/former nannying client

Interested in: children's health promotion, maternal/child health, trauma, chronic illness, health disparities (eventual goal is to get a PhD in Health Psych or Behavioral Medicine)

Applied: University of Nebraska online cert in maternal and child health; MPH Health Behavior at UTHealth Houston (Austin campus).

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/attending: Waiting to hear back!

I'm concerned that I don't have enough health experience or coursework in sciences re: BA. Didn't realize what I wanted to do until late in my college career. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Would either of you mind sharing how you applied without the GRE score to JHSPH? I can’t find anything that suggests that they waived the requirement or have made it optional.

I, also, do not have a GRE score and really wanted to apply to their 11 month program or the part-time online option.
Thank you in advance!
I emailed the program director to ask her about their test policies do to covid and she told me that they were waiving testing requirements.

I reached to JHSPH about the GRE score requirement and they Specified that they still require the GRE score for anyone who does not have an advanced degree beyond a bachelor’s. (I was inquiring about the MPH online/part-time program)

Not sure which program the others were applying to but thought I would post here for others who might be curious.

I reached to JHSPH about the GRE score requirement and they Specified that they still require the GRE score for anyone who does not have an advanced degree beyond a bachelor’s. (I was inquiring about the MPH online/part-time program)

Not sure which program the others were applying to but thought I would post here for others who might be curious.
Sorry I was referring to the MHS program, glad you were able to take care of it.

Has anyone had success appealing financial aid from UNC? They are definitely giving off the vibe that they never budge on fin aid packages but especially with everything happening with COVID and a likely recession when we are entering the job market I am starting to panic. I turned down an offer at Drexel that would have led to about $30k max loans for what is looking like $60k from UNC...

Yes, you can appeal. The financial aid office is no help, so you need to reach out to your department lead specifically. If you're not sure who that is you can reach out to Johnston King and he can point you in the right direction.

I would have a well thought-out letter on hand about why you want to go there, how you will be an asset to their program, and be specific about how much you need and what the competing offers are. After I reached out, I had a call with them and they talked about options for covering some costs (e.g. TA/RA positions cover full in-state tuition for the second year and most students can get in-state residency). And then after I followed up with some offers I had from other schools I was able to get a departmental award (not a huge amount, but it helps).

I think it's pretty specific to each student and each department but worth a shot!

Yes, you can appeal. The financial aid office is no help, so you need to reach out to your department lead specifically. If you're not sure who that is you can reach out to Johnston King and he can point you in the right direction.

I would have a well thought-out letter on hand about why you want to go there, how you will be an asset to their program, and be specific about how much you need and what the competing offers are. After I reached out, I had a call with them and they talked about options for covering some costs (e.g. TA/RA positions cover full in-state tuition for the second year and most students can get in-state residency). And then after I followed up with some offers I had from other schools I was able to get a departmental award (not a huge amount, but it helps).

I think it's pretty specific to each student and each department but worth a shot!

100% agree with your post but a quick note on TA/RAships - current students told me that something they wished they'd known was that students pay two separate pots of tuition, one toward the larger graduate school and one toward Gillings. Because of the way tuition waivers are applied, TA/RAships only cover one but not the other. I didn't find out all the details since I didn't take the UNC offer but worth factoring into budget considerations.

Were you able to find the information about receiving aid, I was accepted yesterday but now I am worried about funding.

Buyer's remorse is so real after making a decision, especially with all of the uncertainty right now! personally, I turned down a fellowship at Drexel that would have meant about $35kish in loans for $60k at UNC and I regret/worry about it every day. I just keep reminding myself that there was a reason why I chose UNC and I need to trust my gut.. if I had one word to describe my visit at Drexel it would be underwhelming, and at UNC I was blown-away. I hope it helps to know that someone else is freaking out along with you/experiencing the same thing- I know that things are crazy right now, but I think it just really goes to show how important the field that we are all going into is- Where did you end up deciding to go? Best of luck!
I ended up choosing Yale. It came down to GW, UNC, and Yale for me. You're lucky you got to visit the schools, the only one I was able to visit before the pandemic was Columbia. Not being able to see any of the schools in person definitely made it hard to decide because I couldn't envision myself at any of the schools. I have definitely become more secure in my decision as the research, courses, and faculty at Yale are still really exciting to me, but I'd be lying if I didn't still have moments where I wondered if I was making the right choice or if I should've chosen another school. But I agree with you, there is some reason why we went with the schools we did, and we just have to trust that!

Hi ! Did anyone have an interview with Tulane and if yes, how did it go? I have one soon and I am pretty nervous.

Were you able to find the information about receiving aid, I was accepted yesterday but now I am worried about funding.
I contacted the FA office and they won't start process your financial aid application until you are admitted. They will provide a temp ID to login to submit your FA application (not FAFSA). I was told to wait 2-4 weeks

I'm super late, but applied 2 weeks ago and was just accepted to BU with a partial tuition scholarship! I'm really excited and still waiting to hear back from one school, but I was hoping to appeal the initial scholarship in hopes of getting more. Not really sure how to do so, suggestions?

For folks going to Emory, a professor said they've been unofficially told that the fall 2020 mph classes will be mostly online. Electives will be all online while core classes will be offered both in person and online (dunno if there's a mandatory in person component or if this means people can opt to do the entire semester online). They're expected to make the official announcement first or second week of June.

Reactions: 5 users
For those wondering about scholarship appeals, I was just offered an additional $10,000 from BU. I’ve already put down my deposit at another school, but wanted to share in case anyone is nervous as they are waiting on an appeal or just thinking about requesting one. Good luck!
Do you mind me asking how you reached out or what you wrote? I'm working on a letter but not really sure what to include that wasn't part of my initial application.

Do you mind me asking how you reached out or what you wrote? I'm working on a letter but not really sure what to include that wasn't part of my initial application.

I sent an email to admissions and included the following:
-why the school is a top choice
-why I think I am a good fit
-that I am grateful for the aid I was offered
-kindly asking if it is possible to request an appeal for additional funding
-if you received more aid from a similarly ranked school you can mention that
-asking whether there are other forms of funding you can look into (RA, GA, etc.)

They responded that they would consider my request and responded a couple weeks later with an offer for additional funding.

I hope this helps!

For folks going to Emory, a professor said they've been unofficially told that the fall 2020 mph classes will be mostly online. Electives will be all online while core classes will be offered both in person and online (dunno if there's a mandatory in person component or if this means people can opt to do the entire semester online). They're expected to make the official announcement first or second week of June.

Dang, thanks for this information! I’ve been waiting to hear as when/if they’d announce it

Posting so hopefully someone sees that applying late does NOT mean all hope is lost. However, financial opportunities will be scarce so keep that in mind.

I went through undergrad as premed, did all the pre-med stuff, graduated planning on a gap year. Sat down to write my personal statement and realized I had no real reason I wanted to be a doctor. I'm on gap year number 2 now and was unsure where to go, but did some research and ended up here. I have no public health-specific experience whatsoever.

As you can tell by my the lack of consistency in programs and last minute application, I am still exploring what to do day by day. Ultimately, I think I want to do epi as I'm into research and numbers and data application but with no experience to be certain in my decision, its hard to commit to something thats so pricey. It's also weird rn making a decision not knowing if classes will be in person or online- a move is a big decision to make in a couple of months. But I'm at a point where I'm kinda excited to dive in blind.

Undergraduate School: top 10 public
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.59/3.74
Major/minor: nutrition
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): n/a MCAT 506

Experience/research:
-3 years leadership in two separate pre-health orgs including roles in service, historian, event coordinator
-2 years benchwork biology research (undergrad)
-2 years benchwork pathology research as technician (undergrad and post grad as full time job as lab manager)
-1 year general undergrad on-campus job
-3 years teaching yoga in various settings
-1 year working as secretary at ER

Letters of Rec:
-Nutrition professor
-Research PI (biology lab, also took some classes with her)
-MD I shadowed in undergrad
-Work supervisor

Interested in: womens health, disparities in primary care, food insecurity, patient education, community programs

Applied: Rutgers nutrition (11/01), GWU COPC (11/01), Emory epi cert in socio-behavioral determinants of health (05/11)
Accepted: Rutgers (11/12), GWU (12/06), Emory (05/27)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: Emory!

Last edited:
Hi ! So this late but this serves as hope for anyone who still wants to apply to MPH programs because you have a chance.

Undergraduate School: Big 10
Undergrad GPA/SOPHAS GPA: 2.906/2.75 (Strong upward trend and made deans list twice)
Major/minor: Public Health (B.S) 2020
GRE: Took it but didn't submit it to any school because they all waived the GRE

Experience:

- 2015 Intern at a health and wellness company increasing access to healthcare
-2017-2018 Camp counselor
-2018 international experience interning at tobacco company for the winter
-2019 summer spent taking summer class
-2019 worked part time in school

Letters of Rec: 3 strong recommendations (2 from professors and 1 from manager at work)

Applied: GWU (MHA-5/11), BU (Healthcare Management 5/18), Rutgers (Health Systems & Policy 5/1), Tulane (MHA 5/16), Drexel (Health Management & Policy 5/15), TAMU (MHA 5/15), Emory (HPM 6/2).

Accepted: GWU (5/21), BU + 25% (5/29), Rutgers + accepted me to population health certificate not Health Systems & Policy even though that's what I applied to (5/29), Tulane (6/5), Emory (6/9).

Interview: Tulane (5/26)

Rejected: None

*One thing I can say is my personal statement, LORs and strong upward trend helped me a lot*

Last edited:
I applied in late April/early May and am still waiting to hear back from the vast majority of schools, but I think I know where I'm going.

Accepted: Emory, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Tufts, Mt. Sinai, Drexel, Indiana Bloomington
Rejected: Temple, Boston University, Dartmouth

My undergrad GPA was between 2.8 & 2.99 but I had exceptionally strong independent research, letters of recommendation, and extracurriculars. Straight out of undergrad tho, no graduate work or GRE. I was a bit surprised as I assumed Emory would be a reach, but they received my application on Friday & accepted me the following Monday.

Still waiting to hear back from Northwestern, but I'm leaning heavily towards Emory as the 2 year MPH in the USA seems to be more valuable & give me the time to build the relationships required to conduct some impactful research projects. I feel like the one year MSc in LSHTM would be done before I know it. I was heavily considering Mt. Sinai, but the fact that Emory allows me to cross register for free really takes the cake - I need to take a couple of undergrad classes to boost my science GPA before I apply to medical school next year!

Is Emory a good place to study Health Policy & Management? Doesn't seem to be too much info regarding their department on the internet.

Last edited:
I applied in late April/early May and am still waiting to hear back from the vast majority of schools, but I think I know where I'm going.

Accepted: Emory, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Tufts, Mt. Sinai, Drexel, Indiana Bloomington
Rejected: Temple, Boston University, Dartmouth

My undergrad GPA was 2.8 but I had exceptionally strong independent research, letters of recommendation, and extracurriculars. Straight out of undergrad tho, no graduate work or GRE. I was a bit surprised as I assumed Emory would be a reach, but they received my application on Friday & accepted me the following Monday.

Still waiting to hear back from Northwestern, but I'm leaning heavily towards Emory as the 2 year MPH in the USA seems to be more valuable & give me the time to build the relationships required to conduct some impactful research projects. I feel like the one year MSc in LSHTM would be done before I know it. I was heavily considering Mt. Sinai, but the fact that Emory allows me to cross register for free really takes the cake - I need to take a couple of undergrad classes to boost my science GPA before I apply to medical school next year!

Is Emory a good place to study Health Policy & Management? Doesn't seem to be too much info regarding their department on the internet.

Hi, Do you mind me asking what concentration you applied for at Northwestern? I applied a few weeks ago and I still have not heard back yet. Thanks!