Moving to a Different State as an Optometrist. Do NBEO scores ever expire ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desi Babu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Licensed Optometrist in Illinois and I am planning to move to Florida and later to Texas. The Florida Licensing office is creating too much problem for me. They are saying I have to retake the NBEO Part 3 because I didn't get 75% in a subsection even though I passed over all in NBEO Part 3 in 2012. So now after 4 years of passing my NBEO Part 3, they are forcing me to retake NBEO Part 3, just to get the florida license. I am trying to file a petition for them to waive the part 3 retake requirement.

Do NBEO scores ever expire ? If You are already licensed in a state and then after 10 years decide to move to a different state would they make you retake all parts of NBEO all over again ?

It is a smart thing to get licenses soon after graduation in every state you think you might move to in the future ?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the state. Florida has some of the strictest guidelines, and there is on-going dispute on trying to ease those guidelines. Best advice is to contact the states's board of optometry but it looks like you've already done that.