Moving-related Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drink Water

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having moved so many times, I am almost an expert at moving, but there is always one thing that I can't do by myself, no matter how efficient and organized I am; that is, moving my bedding set. I either lived in a furnished place or got a free bedding set that I could easily give up at the time of move-out. This time, the story is different because I recently bought a brand new bedding set that I'd like to keep for the coming years. I happened to move and need to take it with me this time.

The only type of a car I have driven all my life is a four-door sedan. Can anyone tell me what it will be like driving a cargo-van or a pick-up truck only after having driven a four-door sedan? Having a trailer behind my sedan is not an option for me because I do not want to damage my relative new sedan. Many advised me against getting a trailer.

1. If anyone has driving experience going from a sedan to U-haul trucks (cargo van, pick-up trucks, 10' trucks), do you have any driving tips? I am kinda scared. I may even need to drive 10' Truck to be eligible for one-way drop-off because pick-up trucks and cargo vans are short in supply and don't allow one-way drop-off ( meaning one needs to return it to where it was rented, and this becomes a burden if one is to drive several hours).

2. Also, does anyone know if there is a rental company that lends cargo vans or pick-up trucks for one-way?

Thanks,
D.W.

Members don't see this ad.

Having moved so many times, I am almost an expert at moving, but there is always one thing that I can't do by myself, no matter how efficient and organized I am; that is, moving my bedding set. I either lived in a furnished place or got a free bedding set that I could easily give up at the time of move-out. This time, the story is different because I recently bought a brand new bedding set that I'd like to keep for the coming years. I happened to move and need to take it with me this time.

The only type of a car I have driven all my life is a four-door sedan. Can anyone tell me what it will be like driving a cargo-van or a pick-up truck only after having driven a four-door sedan? Having a trailer behind my sedan is not an option for me because I do not want to damage my relative new sedan. Many advised me against getting a trailer.

1. If anyone has driving experience going from a sedan to U-haul trucks (cargo van, pick-up trucks, 10' trucks), do you have any driving tips? I am kinda scared. I may even need to drive 10' Truck to be eligible for one-way drop-off because pick-up trucks and cargo vans are short in supply and don't allow one-way drop-off ( meaning one needs to return it to where it was rented, and this becomes a burden if one is to drive several hours).

2. Also, does anyone know if there is a rental company that lends cargo vans or pick-up trucks for one-way?

Thanks,
D.W.

From my personal experience, it felt like driving an indestructible monster truck. In high school, i drove a nice lux, 4-door sedan. In college I drove a large Ford truck...I helped move stuff for my buddies. You would get a hang of it. I would do a test drive before you hit anyone with a rented truck.

Sorry to be tagging on this thread but I have a question:

Anybody knows of any company that will move my stuff across state lines and store it until I am able to pick it up from the storage site? Already sounds expensive, but that will be more comfortable for me, since I don't want to drive a U-Haul truck for like 12 hrs!

Help please :eek:!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Anybody knows of any company that will move my stuff across state lines and store it until I am able to pick it up from the storage site? Already sounds expensive, but that will be more comfortable for me, since I don't want to drive a U-Haul truck for like 12 hrs!

www.pods.com

Hey! I used pods after I graduated undergrad to move from Missouri to NY and it was fantastic. I helped pack it up and then left it for them and then when I got home from a post-grad trip, it was there waiting for me!

Might be a lil expensive but nice to have peace of mind :)

Last edited:
Hey! I used pods after I graduated undergrad to move from Missouri to NY and it was fantastic. I helped pack it up and then left it for them and then when I got home from a post-grad trip, it was there waiting for me!

Might be a lil expensive but nice to have peace of mind :)

I actually just did some research on some of the companies earlier (since I'll be moving from So. Cali to Indiana in August. U-Haul actually has their version of the "pod" and is VERY reasonable for prices. Especially if you are moving a small apartment, or 1.5 rooms, this might be a more cost efficient option.

Safe travels! :luck:

Thanks for the moving thread. For whatever reason, PODS doesn't deliver in my area (makes no sense as I live in a big city), but it sounded ideal. I saw that U-Haul pod as well, and it looked good. Out of curiousity, do you think one is enough for a small one bedroom? They told me 2 but I raelly don't have much furniture beyond a bed, sofa, table, chairs and dresser.

Thanks for the moving thread. For whatever reason, PODS doesn't deliver in my area (makes no sense as I live in a big city), but it sounded ideal. I saw that U-Haul pod as well, and it looked good. Out of curiousity, do you think one is enough for a small one bedroom? They told me 2 but I raelly don't have much furniture beyond a bed, sofa, table, chairs and dresser.

If you are taking a bed, sofa, table, etc... you actually might need "2" of the units. I believe the deminsions are 8x5x7.... which is a fair amount of room; however, furniture could quickly fill that up. When I did some pricing, I just noticed there was a huge difference between U-haul and PODS. As well, you could use U-haul for large and heavy things, and utilize UPS for shipping clothes, and other lighter boxes. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the help, guys!!!! Something tells me I'll be using the U-Haul version of PODS, though I haven't gotten an estimate yet.

Hi,
Here is some information from research that I just did. I am moving 900 miles away so closer moves might not have these issues to consider.

I received a PODS estimate this weekend. They actually do deliver in my area. It is another company that didn't. I was shocked at how much it was and how long it takes to get your stuff (8 days not including Sundays in my case). I actually think I could get movers for the same price.

UHaul was cheaper by approximately $400 but my experience with UHaul is they nickel and dime you in the end which would probably makes it about the same (unless you only needed one "pod" that would be significantly more reasonable--that second unit is what drove it up). For me, it is probably unrealistic to think I can get everything in one unit.

The other expense with using UHaul "pods" is they charge a lot for delivering the unit itself. Who wants to rent a UHaul and pack that only to unpack it into the pod at their facility when you have furniture. On the other hand, UHaul only takes 3 days to deliver.

So, neither option seems great for me. Having real movers seems better and better if it is going to be about the same price. I've heard some horror stories about having a small move put on a large truck with other moves. Anyway have any knowledge on that type of thing?

Thanks!